Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LofoTEN year anniversary 2023: Skin Properly ***now with photos***

Poster: A snowHead
@fuzzydunlop, wow - looks amazing. Keen to visit Arnøya; we were just south of there a few years ago. snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Inboard, Unusual to get a week of settled, clear weather. If you go to ski, bank on losing at least one day to the elements.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@fuzzydunlop, oh nice! Looks like you had slightly more settled weather than us. Lofoten gets pretty wild since the islands stick out into the Norwegian Sea and the gulf stream stirs things up a bit more.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@fuzzydunlop,

Fantastic! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Loved the pano shot.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rogg wrote:
Loved the pano shot.
+1
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rogg, @Hurtle, thanks. Made my laptop nearly burn up processing it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Day 4: A return to the Varden area amidst yet more changeable weather. There were a lot of teams with the same idea; never seen it so crowded. There must've been 15 people on the summit. The light was quite flat so not the best shot but this gives you an idea of how much snow they'd had recently - right down to sea level.

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Happy team on a lunch stop after poaching freshies in really good snow. It got less good below this altitude...but before that, a shot of @Arno showing he's not just a decent skinning model.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Sharkymark, On Storgalten, Lyngen, the Thursday before Easter, we counted around 300 people heading for the summit.

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@fuzzydunlop, what?! Lofoten is still un-busy then. If there's more than two other groups, we pull funny faces
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fuzzydunlop wrote:
...On Storgalten, Lyngen, the Thursday before Easter, we counted around 300 people heading for the summit....

That's staggering!

I've been up the Big Pig and Little Pig five times and we never saw anyone else.

In fact, I've just looked at Google Maps and there are so many lodges/cabins and places that are now catering for skiers up there, and Lyngseidet seems to be far more commercial than when I was last there many moons ago.

Presuming there are many more boats as well going to the surrounding Islands up there as well, would also explain why Svalbard is now the new Lyngen?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sharkymark wrote:
If there's more than two other groups, we pull funny faces

@Sharkymark I would go a step further - I feel a little put out when the snow/weather forces us to go somewhere where we see anyone at all..!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@offpisteskiing, ssshhhh I’m trying to make out it’s really busy!
snow report
@offpisteskiing, don't worry though, day 4 is next and that definitely had no one else on it.
snow conditions
@Sharkymark,
Our guide had been in the area for six weeks and he said it was much busier than any other time he had been there. But there was some competition for parking spots - Easter is probably a time to avoid.
ski holidays
@fuzzydunlop, may as well go to Serre Chevalier Laughing
ski holidays
Day 5 is going to be a spam fest: lightroom has been on overdrive today processing photos. There were absolute scenes...
latest report
Day 5: Conditions looked good for a couloir on @offpisteskiing's list and off the beaten track. There were no other people here. Like many lines, we could park up on the road at the bottom and be skinning up the guts of it straightaway. @Arno on the ascent.

latest report
@Offpisteskiing on the initial pitch. About 40 deg at most but the convex roll over made it look and feel fairly pokey. The snow was also firm so not a place to fall.

latest report
A pano of the view from about halfway down

snow report
Various shots of @Offpisteskiing, @Arno, @Going Downhill and @Andanotherthing on the descent.

latest report
Wow
snow conditions
Wow. Envy increasing... Going green
snow report
Noice
snow conditions
fuzzydunlop wrote:
@Sharkymark, On Storgalten, Lyngen, the Thursday before Easter, we counted around 300 people heading for the summit

Shocked Shocked Shocked

I hope there are 300 less than that when we are in Lyngen in the middle of next month rolling eyes
snow conditions
Sharkymark,

Best pics so far! Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Like so many “off the beaten track” lines in Lofoten - clearly visible and easily accessible from the main road but no-else there snowHead
snow report
This was the line of the week for me. Partly since last year I pointed at it and badgered @Offpisteskiing about the photographic opportunities it would present...
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, thanks; probably my fav set of pics too. The bridge just adds a massive amount of perspective and interest to it.
ski holidays
I forgot this one of @Andanotherthing in the lower section of the couloir.

latest report
Amazing photos - definitely the line of the week, superbly captured!!
snow report
@Sharkymark, the last one is absolutely brilliant in terms of colour contrast. My favourite, I think.
snow report
Wow. It's been said before but just...... wow. It was some photos like this which inspired me to go mid-summer sailing in the Lofotens. But without that height and those vistas (and not to mention without the snow, and without much talent at photography) it's hard to capture the extraordinary place.
latest report
Thanks all snowHead
snow report
Day 5 coming soon...post processing needs to catch up with forum posting.
snow report
Day 5: Sunset wasn't too shabby - standard lodge view.

latest report
Day 6: The forecast was for strong winds and mild temps so @offpisteskiing's plan was Matmora, which offered options on various aspects and some south facing couloir lines that would already be spring snow and would be skiable by early afternoon. A couple of B&W shots - this works best in bright sun when the contrast is high and the light is harsh. Once again, my skinning model @Arno shows his talents:

snow report
Close to the summit we did indeed discover the wind was strong. Very strong. Scotland strong. It was gusting 50mph+, hard to stand up and would easily take away a loose ski...let alone gloves/skins/kvikk lunsj. Photography was marginal. Rather than ski the SE face, we opted to ski one of the S facing couloirs that would offer some respite from the stiff breeze. As the sun dropped in the sky a little and some high cloud rolled in, the light got good. Here's @offpisteskiing putting in turns on good spring snow at the top of the line.

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy