Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Confidence building trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, I’ve booked Grand Massif in March with the family, and am now able to get a sneaky week away with hubby in early Jan.

Ideally would like quiet wide blues or easy reds a the main purpose of this trip is to overcome my nerves and regain my technique. We also would like some mountain restaurants for frequent stops (or me stopping to let husband do a few reds without me)

Would St Francois de Longchamps fit that bill? Hubby thinks it might be short of “on mountain” restaurants. Other resorts we are considering are La Plagne, Alpes D’Huez, Les Arcs but open to anywhere really.

He also thinks in Jan we should look for tree lined pistes to cut wind and helps with visibility - is he right?

We’ve only really skied Feb so anything else we should consider? do we need to go high ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would think number of huts would be dependent on ski area size
There are a number of resorts in that area of St FdL. Les Sybelles, Valloire/Valmeinier Val Cenis. All small in comparison to the other 3 you mention.
Take a look at piste maps & count huts if that is what is important. Also check out if they are purpus built resort or a 365 day town - you can go back to town for lunch!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skimummk, sounds to me like you're describing the Dolomites, particularly with your mountain restaurants requirement....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You won’t regain much technique with frequent stops.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As @swskier says, Alta Badia in the dolomites, probably based in Corvara or San Cassiano. This is the perfect place for confidence building wide open blues and lots of great mountain restaurants. I've always found the instruction to be top quality and relaxed too.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 15-12-23 10:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@skimummk, fab that you've got time for an extra trip! Agree with @swskier that you're describing the Dolomites, plus all that beauty and Italian charm and fab food is perfect for a couples weekend. snowHead Maybe Suisi (sp?) or Alta Badia for lots of lovely wide slopes?

As someone with confidence issues, I've had my best times in Austria though. Lots of cosy huts and wide runs, and the snow maintenance is amazing. My favourites have been Westendorf (for the SkiWelt, and Kitzbuhel), and Alpendorf for Ski Amade (I was having a particularly bad confidence dip then had a brilliant time in Ski Amade). Austria is also so easy to get around on the train so transfers are never a worry, and the hotels tend to be great.

So, not helpful for France. Laughing If you're stuck with France, La Plagne would be my pick.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think Cervinia would be ideal. Quiet, wide, easy runs covering the whole area. My wife used to suffer with confidence issues and Cervinia was always her go to to build herself back up. Plenty of good mountain food as a bonus too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skimummk, Looking at your last bit, you are concerned that Jan is not when you go and the resort requirements may be different.

Firstly Jan has one big advantage over Feb for the nervous skier that is it tends to be less busy, quieter slopes are usually nicer.
There is probably as much variation between months as within months but I think you're right that tree lined slopes can be advantageous particularly in poor weather and light.

Being lower they can also have disadvantages if the weather is very warm when the snow quality can be poor or paradoxically sometimes when it is very cold and you can get a temperature inversion and it feels colder and sometimes the surface can be icier. Particularly watch for end of day runs to low resorts where ice can be a problem

If possible I would choose a resort with skiing above and below the tree line, particularly if booking in advance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for the Alta Badia resorts in the Dolomites. Corvara, La Villa or San Cassiano would suit your requirements perfectly
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all - we'll have a look at the Dolomites - that was actually hubbys first choice for March, can't remember why we ended up in Grand Massif lol!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So, after much deliberation - we have ended up at "none of the above" - well actually @gored mentioned Valloire/Valmeinier - we've been there before. Last time was in 2020 our last day was the day France locked down. I was probably the last person on a chair lift in France that year as I was late coming back across the valley on the single chair lift and my friend had to beg the liftie to keep the next lift open after 5pm so that we could ski back!

Last time we stayed in a lovely private chalet but we had a 20-30 min walk (most uphill) before we could ski - so this time we have booked an appartment near the main piste. We (hubby) knows which slopes I enjoyed and was confident on last time (and which to avoid) - so rather than take a chance with a "new" area we hope repeating slopes I've done before will help with my confidence, so all we need now is some decent snow in the next couple of weeks.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimummk wrote:

anything else we should consider?

Lessons?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy