Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best time to visit Banff

Poster: A snowHead
After a slushy but still lovely ski week in Austria last week we’re thinking of going to Banff next year. We’ve tried twice before but Covid thwarted us so we’re thinking we’ll try again next year.

We like the look of Banff because there seems plenty of other stuff to occupy us apart from skiing. There do look to be some seriously low temperatures there though which we’d prefer to avoid. That said we hated the slush of last weeks holiday.

My question then is, when is the best time to visit that part of the world for skiing? We’d love a nice bit of sunshine without the slush.

Also, is Banff the best Canadian base for access to resorts for nervous intermediates or is there a better resort? Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I go there it's towards the end of the season not the start. Snow conditions tend to be more stable over the day than places where the temperature is warmer - if it never thaws out, you don't get crunchy morning snow or slushy afternoon snow. Each to their own of course, and historic weather data is available for those wanting internet arguments. Banff will be entirely fine for "nervous intermediates", in my opinion.

For slush you need to go somewhere the freezing level is above the base of the resort.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
March to avoid the worst cold. Too late (last week of March, first week of April) and the front slopes of LL get soft after lunch. Of course, just like Europe, it depends on the year...
If you are going during school holidays, book something else over Easter weekend like hiking as the lift queues are horrible. But for the rest of the time it's fine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In my experience, Banff and particularly Sunshine Village are really good for a nervous intermediate (it did wonders for my confidence). The skiing at Sunshine is quite different to European skiing, wide open bowls where you can choose a line that you're comfortable with and quieter slopes where you feel like you have the space and time to take it at your own pace.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've been 4 times over the years, each time was either mid March or early April. Never had a problem with conditions, fresh snow each time, with temps on the mountain well below freezing, but not stupid cold.
We were there once over the Easter weekend, but apart from a 15 minute or so queue for the Sunshine gondola first thing, we didn't experience any queues on the mountain.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My TR 2018 https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3215941
You can see the Easter queue at LL but perhaps it was because it was fresh snow. I remember also the slopes weren't so worry-free, more people and more crazy people. We went to Johnstone Canyon and just had a break from skiing, made the second week better.

I still like our video Smile

http://youtube.com/v/R0ZYHdFXTfY
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It can be bloody cold in January.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Encouraging comments thanks. We aren’t tied to any time of year as our kids are grown up so would be happy to avoid holidays for sure
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Orange200, loved that video. Your girls are proficient skiers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would go early March (so now ish). Avoid Spring Break for both the USA and Canada. Also avoid Easter and plan to be after Family Day (mid-Feb).

You might get some colder days but you're late enough in the season that they won't linger. There's more coverage and more opportunity for snow that in the early months.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Done end Jan/ early Feb and had minus 25 with wind chill on a few days! Found temperatures better end Feb/ early March- still can get cold days but that means great snow Very Happy Nothing that some disposable handwarmers, foot warmers and leather mitts can't cope with.

Would highly recommend SkiBig3- they used to officially do lessons but now its just sold as guiding (however last time was just me and my partner in group and was just like having an instructor for 3 days). They do 3 days with a day in each area and know where has best snow conditions. Another advantage is if you book on a weekend where there may be queues especially at LL you get to skip them- great way to learn your way round the 3 ski areas.

There's some family holiday weekend sometime in March which we hit last time accidentally- it was busier but unpleasantly so but I'd probably avoid in future trips.

Banff great for non skiing stuff too and the busses turn up when they should and if full they send another along so never felt a hardship.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bambionskiis, excuse me piggy-backing on your thread, but my wife's brother has just moved to Calgary and we are planning a trip next year so am following with interest...

@sweaman22, Mrs Z no longers skis, so this will be a holiday with some skiing rather than a ski trip.
I was thinking about first 2 weeks of April - what is the weather typically like then (both for skiing and for general touristy stuff out and about)?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We’ve been the first two weeks of April for the last few years (school kids…). And it’s been great. Once it was almost t-shirt weather in Banff but still fine on the mountain except a little slushy on the lower frontside at Louise and the ski out at Sunshine. Other times we’ve had fresh snow and temps hovering around zero
Was at Sunshine for one Easter weekend - didn’t notice any more queues to be honest. I think it’s the snowfall that brings people out of Calgary at the weekend
If I had the choice though I’d go for March. Locals call it magic march! Not bitterly cold but still winter and better chance of fresh snow
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It’s worth noting that the locals are very particular about the snow and powder - and what they complain about poor conditions is not the same as poor snow in the alps! One of our friends didn’t join us from Calgary because he decided it looked ‘too icy’ on the webcams
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ray - April is "shoulder season" which means it's pretty variable from both a snow and weather perspective. It also means the summer tourist stuff hasn't yet ramped up yet - that doesn't really occur until after Mid-May. In April hiking trails are either snow bound or a mix of everything including ice. The deeper into the mountains you go the more snow (clearly). I've skied in April and I've also mountain biked; often even the same April.

Tourist stuff closer to Calgary or out East (Drumheller for example) will be fine but in the mountains you're going to be constrained to the valleys.

You'll get some good skiing in April.
latest report
I would go mid March
snow conditions
One other small note; as you move into March and April, the sun doesn't set until much later in
the evening; approaching 9pm. Apres-ski can go for a long time....

There's a shuttle that goes between Chateau Lake Louise and Lake Louise ski resort - nice way
to take a lunch break and check out the lake in winter.

Town of Banff is set up for bus access to Sunshine and LL. You could also stay in Lake Louise,
but much smaller and little/no nightlife or restaurants. If you're into lux hotels, though, Chateau
Lake Louise and the Post are worth a look.
snow report
We’re here now. This is our 15th(?) visit. We always come after Srping Bresk but before Easter, avoiding Family Day weekend which affects the crowds.

We’ve only had super cold weather twice, in 2009 for a week and this trip for the first two weeks we were here. Late Feb to third week of March is usually good, and the clocks go forward second weekend in March so lighter nights now.

We’ve been late April and it is a slush fest, but massive fun as it can be really warm, a few good hours in the middle of the day after ice and before slush, and a very fun atmosphere- people skiing in shorts etc.

There’s lots of info on other threads about Banff so look around the other Canada threads and enjoy!

It’s a great place for confidence building.
snow report
Next year Easter comes early so I’m strongly thinking of Banff for 2 weeks Smile, we all love it. But @TommyJ, interested to hear you still liked it in April, maybe I should consider that.
Wondered if I could sneak something this year and just peeked at Skyscanner… one person LIS-YYC €1400 er don’t think so!

@bambionskiis, how are you with jet lag? I tend to be up at 4am, early breakfast, first bus to the hill, and call it a day by 3pm, then snoring by 9pm; no apres for us!
snow report
Quote:
It’s worth noting that the locals are very particular about the snow and powder - and what they complain about poor conditions is not the same as poor snow in the alps! One of our friends didn’t join us from Calgary because he decided it looked ‘too icy’ on the webcams
A very fair analysis Very Happy We've found the same in BC too - locals packing in after a few runs as 'It's kinda icy' (think 'packed powder' Laughing ) and some who've admitted to only going out on powder days. Then there are the "Warning: Marginal conditions" signs - which have meant nothing more than a storm has blown a few bits of twigs onto the perfect groomers wink It really is another world versus the Alps.
latest report
Noticed that last time. “Oh it’s really bad this year” - what, this is normal where I come from!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy