Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs Village / Accommodation Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

New member to the forum here and was looking for some advice please, as an adult couple looking to book their first ski trip.

Have spent past couple weeks tying down a location etc and reading floods on info and also watching YT vlogs reviews etc. (so much info out there!)

We are looking to book a trip to Les Arcs for next January and wondering about the right location / accommodation. We are looking at either 1950 (currently preferred) or 1800.

We have read that while 1950 is very nice and a pretty village etc, it it very quiet with not a lot happening in the evening/night time. Where 1800 is the more lively location.

We are defo not looking for party central (we are early 40s) but not looking for complete quiet either, as a nice meal, drinks and atmosphere/music is a must for night time, where possible.

Can anyone please recommend what village would be ideal to stay at, for ease of skiing / school and also evening atmosphere etc.

We are currently looking at Le Village Apartments, Arc 1950. But noting locked in yet. (Some very nice AirBnB apartments too in both locations).

Many thanks in advance for any guidance Eh oh!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jon.miller, welcome to Snowheads.

People often call 1950 the Disney style ski station. It has a smallish car free promenade type area at it's heart (you can ski through it - I haven't stayed there but for the novelty did ski through once!). From what I've read a lot of the accommodation is good quality if a little pricey. I have stayed at 2000 just above which is older, not so pretty but I think a bit more budget friendly.

There are people on here who have apartments in the different villages (will probably post on here later) and many more who have stayed in them. 1800 certainly seems to be well thought of and convenient.

One factor if going in January is that it can be very wintry - sounds obvious I know but if weather is a factor it is better in general to be at a lower station. In bad weather the tree lined slopes above Vallandry or on the other side above Les Coches are where you want to be. And they are nice ski sectors in all weathers aswell. Later in the season that's less of an issue.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 6-03-23 17:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to the forum @jon.miller, similar to above for me, I wouldn't mind either (and no reflection on 1950) but do choose 1800 each time I go there.

Relaxed, lively, direct and easy access to tree line skiing in Vallandry section etc. None of the locations are far from anything you wish to ski though, and so very easily used from whichever may be your choice. 1800 has it all for my vote.

Generally I've great affection for LA as a whole, first ever ski there in village 2000 as completely unskilled introduction, hooked for life really.

Now taken our children there too, they find it just as interesting.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jon.miller,It also depends on where you are staying in each village. 1950 is compact and you can always get a telecabine up to 2000 where there may be more "nightlife". 1800 is a sprawling metropolis by comparison with some accommodation quite a long way from the centre. It does, however, have the Follie Duce with music and dancing girls early in the evening as well as the Mile8 pool and spa centre (and sledging). When I was a lot younger we would take the navette to 1800 for a night out and walk back to 1600 at about 2AM. I don't even know if those bars are even open now adays.
Looking at it from a skiing perspective some apartments in 1800 can also be a trek to the first lift, whereas 1950 is actually on the piste. But, to be controversial I think the skiing is better on the 1800 side of the ridge.
@Layne, 1950 is just in the tree line and there is fine tree skiing in the Villaroger and 1600 sectors as well as Vallandry.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, the point is everything above 1950 is treeless.

When I stayed in 2000 we had a day and a half of bad weather and I spent a lot of time lapping Arcabulle. Sooner be in Vallandry/Les Coches in that situation - lots more to ski locally. Villaroger, has it's appeal for sure but is on the periphery of the domain.

Not a biggie necessarily just something to consider for the OP.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Layne, You are, of course, correct. The point I was trying to make is that you can ski down from 1950. Quite often the 2000 bowl is closed off due to avalanche risk, whereas less of the 1600 - Vallandry sector is not. Unless the road itself is closed the navette takes you to 1600. Ive had an apartment now for almost 20 years in 1600 and rarely have I thought "the weather is bad let's go across to Vallandry" and only once "let's go across to Les Coches." Of course I go over for other reasons. I like both sectors

As a side point - when are you next in Les Coches and if we overlap do you fancy a drink? I'm heading out on the 27th
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, it will be Christmas week more than likely. Undecided if going first week of April but if we do likely to be 3V I reckon.

But, for sure, next time I'm there will ping you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks so much all for your responses, will have a look after work! I am liking the sound of 1800, in a central-ish location for sure. Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne wrote:
@jon.miller, welcome to Snowheads.

People often call 1950 the Disney style ski station. It has a smallish car free promenade type area at it's heart (you can ski through it - I haven't stayed there but for the novelty did ski through once!). From what I've ride a lot of the accommodation is good quality if a little pricey. I have stayed at 2000 just above which is older, not so pretty but I think a bit more budget friendly.

There are people on here who have apartments in the different villages (will probably post on here later) and many more who have stayed in them. 1800 certainly seems to be well thought of and convenient.

One factor if going in January is that it can be very wintry - sounds obvious I know but if weather is a factor it is better in general to be at a lower station. In bad weather the tree lined slopes above Vallandry or on the other side above Les Coches are where you want to be. And they are nice ski sectors in all weathers aswell. Later in the season that's less of an issue.

Thanks Layne! That is a fantastic point re the 'wintry' conditions, something I didn't consider for Jan time. I am learning every day as I go with this stuff. Not great being a total newbie at this, but great to have resources such as SH. Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Look at Chantel area of 1800 @jon.miller, for good choice and location within village.

Ski down to lift in the morning convenience (little lift too if you are just starting to aquire ski skill) with ski back in convenience to match.

To be fair, all of the elements of 1800 (also all of the Arcs) are easily and conveniently reached, virtually all having no real travel in accessing the snow, piste.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE ,@Layne, remember the OP is a complete beginner, so is unlikely to be going to either Villaroger or Les Coches! More relevant would be the quality of the beginner areas in each village. 1800 does have the advantage of the cruisy blue tracks through the forest towards Vallandry, which beginners might get to towards the end of the week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Welcome to the forum,

I think 1800 is better for complete beginners, the blue runs in and out of 1950 are a bit steep, particularly the section of Vallee De L'Arc directly above the the resort which can get icy and bumpy. It is possible to pick your way through in less steep sections but it's easy to get caught out.

The runs off the Villards lift in 1800 are pretty good for beginners and it helps to have a comfy gondola to sit in if the weather is chilly.

You'd have a great time in both places though
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ecureuil, good point.

@jon.miller, why did you focus on Les Arcs? For your first ski trip you don't really need to go to somewhere like Les Arcs, which is a large ski area. Better off at a smaller resort that is cheaper.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

To be fair, all of the elements of 1800 (also all of the Arcs) are easily and conveniently reached, virtually all having no real travel in accessing the snow, piste.

It depends what you mean by "conveniently reached". To me it is a 20 minute walk (or a bus to Jardin Alpin) from Chalets de la Croisette or Vaugella apartments to the first lift, which is not convenient.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

It depends what you mean by "conveniently reached". To me it is a 20 minute walk (or a bus to Jardin Alpin) from Chalets de la Croisette or Vaugella apartments to the first lift, which is not convenient.

Which is why I stated to look at Chantel area to the OP that you've omitted in commenting.

Of course there's normally some sort of proviso in looking at location, which is the reason for seeking advice in the first place for people coming onto forum.
latest report
Layne wrote:
@ecureuil, good point.

@jon.miller, why did you focus on Les Arcs? For your first ski trip you don't really need to go to somewhere like Les Arcs, which is a large ski area. Better off at a smaller resort that is cheaper.

Hey Layne, we chose LA due to having a look around trawling reviews across man sites and this location seemed to fit our needs as is very well reviewed. The smaller resorts we read could become quite busy.
We do want a but of luxury too, but not essential and needs to be within budget of course. (we did look at Austria and also Bulgaria).

In the end1950 seemed to tick the boxes we both were looking for, (until the reviews around the quietness in the evening), which led to wondering if that was in reality an ideal location for us.

It also falls within our budget; c£1k for flights accom, with around £500 for the kit and ski lessons. (so around 1.5k per pers).

Again, not locked in to anything yet and really open to suggestions. Spent a lot of time over last 2 weeks choosing country and location, you end up getting a bit fatigued with it don't you. But France > LA is where we ended up with.

As a note, I am not a total beginner I guess, as I used to Ski in the Army (Nordic) in my 20's. But my fiancé is a complete beginner. But hoping after a few days we (or me) can stretch out and get some good runs in.. but for this trip in my head I am a beginner.
Smile
ski holidays
ski3 wrote:
Welcome to the forum @jon.miller, similar to above for me, I wouldn't mind either (and no reflection on 1950) but do choose 1800 each time I go there.

Relaxed, lively, direct and easy access to tree line skiing in Vallandry section etc. None of the locations are far from anything you wish to ski though, and so very easily used from whichever may be your choice. 1800 has it all for my vote.

Generally I've great affection for LA as a whole, first ever ski there in village 2000 as completely unskilled introduction, hooked for life really.

Now taken our children there too, they find it just as interesting.

Sounds good Smile and yeah, that is a good point, as we really want to go somewhere that we do fall in love with, rather than just a 'cheap and cheerful' ski trip that may be below our expectations.
The Skiing will be prob half the holiday, so really want to enjoy the resort/village and what else it offers too.
latest report
A suggestion https://www.peakretreats.co.uk/winter/ski-resorts/paradiski/arc-1800/edenarc haven't checked budget, but nicely located and appointed.

Also literally below that on slopes https://www.maeva.com/fr-fr/residence-les-alpages-de-chantel---maeva-home_57400.html you can see this location in main overview of 1st link at bottom of photo, small lift terminal to village at photo rhs too.

Both ski in/out with great facilities.
snow report
@jon.miller, peak weeks are HT holidays mid-Feb, followed by new year, followed by the edges of HT and Christmas. The rest of the season is quiet. Same applies whether resort is big or small. There is debate on the bigger ski resorts are better able to cope v smaller is quieter at peak times. Anyway, if you not restricted by school hols it's easy to avoid. You are going anytime in January?

There is usually a thread on school hols like this one https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156939 which highlights/discusses.

If you can afford LA I wouldn't be one to persuade you to go elsewhere as such. However, as a beginner you could you have a lot of fun in the smaller gems and then step up to places like LA.

I do agree though that it can be tiring going through so many options and figuring out what is going to work for you.
snow report
Layne wrote:
@jon.miller, peak weeks are HT holidays mid-Feb, followed by new year, followed by the edges of HT and Christmas. The rest of the season is quiet. Same applies whether resort is big or small. There is debate on the bigger ski resorts are better able to cope v smaller is quieter at peak times. Anyway, if you not restricted by school hols it's easy to avoid. You are going anytime in January?

There is usually a thread on school hols like this one https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156939 which highlights/discusses.

If you can afford LA I wouldn't be one to persuade you to go elsewhere as such. However, as a beginner you could you have a lot of fun in the smaller gems and then step up to places like LA.

I do agree though that it can be tiring going through so many options and figuring out what is going to work for you.

Yeah thankfully we wont be affected by the school hols by the looks of it, so can avoid them. Date wise, currently planning for the week of Sat 20th - Sat 27th Jan. We like to get away shortly after Xmas/NY and this is the first free week we have in Jan.

I hear you on the stepping up to places such as LA, but for us it will like a once a year trip, so really wanna make the most of the experience. Smile
latest report
ski3 wrote:
A suggestion https://www.peakretreats.co.uk/winter/ski-resorts/paradiski/arc-1800/edenarc haven't checked budget, but nicely located and appointed.

Also literally below that on slopes https://www.maeva.com/fr-fr/residence-les-alpages-de-chantel---maeva-home_57400.html you can see this location in main overview of 1st link at bottom of photo, small lift terminal to village at photo rhs too.

Both ski in/out with great facilities.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I did look at Edenarc before, but was coming in a bit upper end of budget, but does look like a fantastic location and like you say, well appointed.
I will check Eden out again and also the Chantel one too. Thanks!
snow conditions
You might want to address @rob@rar, he's a ski instructor with an apartment in Eden.
Check his signature here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5103098&highlight=#5103098
snow conditions
@Layne, out of interest, what would you recommend as a smaller gem location to look at? i'd be interested in having a wee look at somethings overlooked.
Thanks.
latest report
Reduced cost, smaller area, but no shortage of all the things you need could be Ste Foy Tarantaise.

Absolutely excellent for a return to skiing week and with lower area pass to help you. Lovely ambience as very friendly inclusive atmosphere, really good food along with some very nice apartments. Some of the best blue piste around for learning/finding your feet skiing again. Very good tuition here too within ESF classes.

https://www.mmv-holidays.co.uk/en/residence-club-sainte-foy-tarentaise-etoile-des-cimes for example.

Both here and Chantel d Alpage we've ststed in regularly as family and with friends. You can see one from the other as they are opposite sides of the valley (that's view of north part of LA to StF. Very Happy
latest report
ski3 wrote:
Reduced cost, smaller area, but no shortage of all the things you need could be Ste Foy Tarantaise.

Absolutely excellent for a return to skiing week and with lower area pass to help you. Lovely ambience as very friendly inclusive atmosphere, really good food along with some very nice apartments. Some of the best blue piste around for learning/finding your feet skiing again. Very good tuition here too within ESF classes.

https://www.mmv-holidays.co.uk/en/residence-club-sainte-foy-tarentaise-etoile-des-cimes for example.

Both here and Chantel d Alpage we've ststed in regularly as family and with friends. You can see one from the other as they are opposite sides of the valley (that's view of north part of LA to StF. Very Happy

Thanks ski3, will check the link out and also CdA. Smile
snow report
@jon.miller, a couple of smaller places I've been to are Les Contamines and La Norma.

Valloire/Valmeiner heard good things about.

Les 7 Laux I was going to go once but it was early season and they didn't open so went Tignes instead.

Browsing these piste maps might spark a few ideas:

https://piste-maps.co.uk/france

I think Paradiski (LA/La Plagne combined) has 425km piste, Les Arcs has 210km of piste, Les Contamines 120km and La Norma 65km - figures unreliable but gives an approximation
latest report
Layne wrote:
@jon.miller, a couple of smaller places I've been to are Les Contamines and La Norma.

Valloire/Valmeiner heard good things about.

Les 7 Laux I was going to go once but it was early season and they didn't open so went Tignes instead.

Browsing these piste maps might spark a few ideas:

https://piste-maps.co.uk/france

I think Paradiski (LA/La Plagne combined) has 425km piste, Les Arcs has 210km of piste, Les Contamines 120km and La Norma 65km - figures unreliable but gives an approximation

Thank you Smile
ski holidays
1800 all the way, not a chocolate box resort but lots going on and good access to other areas too. The 2000 valley is usually first to close if strong winds arrive (like today). 1950 is very small and although much prettier to look at than 1800 and 2000 it is very Disney like. Great skiing for beginners from mid station of Transarc in 1800 down towards Vallandry on Foret. There is also a very convenient bus that takes you home from Vallandry after pistes are closed if you want to stay for some apres ski. Have you thought of staying in one of the Les Arc hotels on half board? We are currently here in Arc 1800 on a long stay self catering hol and are finding the eating out in resort restaurants and mountain lunches to be very expensive. We used to stay in Hotel du Golf when our children were young and learning to ski. It is super convenient for the slopes and it is now doing a “wine on tap deal” for evening meals. Crystal go there I think. We have eaten there for dinner a few times and find it by far the cheapest option for a good quality extensive buffet dinner including wine. If you are set on self catering then my advice would be to avoid shopping in the resort. Instead take a roll along type bag and head down to Bourg on Funiculaire and either stock up in Lidl or one of the larger supermarkets at other end of town. Take the free navette from bottom of Funiculaire to ‘Centre Nautique’ for the larger Super U or walk up and over railway bridge to Lidls. Here is a plan of all main accommodation in Arc 1800 https://www.calameo.com/read/00568961649d1712d69e3?page=1
I would not suggest Le Chantel area for beginner as it involves either a ski down/bus/Dahl lift to get to main village and ski front. Have a lovely time. Great time to go to avoid the month of Feb when it is all the different areas of France, Holland, UK and Belgium on half terms. Les Arcs is reasonably quiet this week but not the case in the previous 4 weeks!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fay Whiteley wrote:
1800 all the way, not a chocolate box resort but lots going on and good access to other areas too. The 2000 valley is usually first to close if strong winds arrive (like today). 1950 is very small and although much prettier to look at than 1800 and 2000 it is very Disney like. Great skiing for beginners from mid station of Transarc in 1800 down towards Vallandry on Foret. There is also a very convenient bus that takes you home from Vallandry after pistes are closed if you want to stay for some apres ski. Have you thought of staying in one of the Les Arc hotels on half board? We are currently here in Arc 1800 on a long stay self catering hol and are finding the eating out in resort restaurants and mountain lunches to be very expensive. We used to stay in Hotel du Golf when our children were young and learning to ski. It is super convenient for the slopes and it is now doing a “wine on tap deal” for evening meals. Crystal go there I think. We have eaten there for dinner a few times and find it by far the cheapest option for a good quality extensive buffet dinner including wine. If you are set on self catering then my advice would be to avoid shopping in the resort. Instead take a roll along type bag and head down to Bourg on Funiculaire and either stock up in Lidl or one of the larger supermarkets at other end of town. Take the free navette from bottom of Funiculaire to ‘Centre Nautique’ for the larger Super U or walk up and over railway bridge to Lidls. Here is a plan of all main accommodation in Arc 1800 https://www.calameo.com/read/00568961649d1712d69e3?page=1
I would not suggest Le Chantel area for beginner as it involves either a ski down/bus/Dahl lift to get to main village and ski front. Have a lovely time. Great time to go to avoid the month of Feb when it is all the different areas of France, Holland, UK and Belgium on half terms. Les Arcs is reasonably quiet this week but not the case in the previous 4 weeks!

Hey, thank you for your reply, very helpful Smile

We were actually looking at the Hotel du Golf over the weekend, looks like fantastic value! We did consider the food/drink costs being probably a significant extra expense on top of the hotel/accom/gear.
We have since added the Golf hotel to the shortlist, and we have the Edenarc apartments too. I think for the couple hundred £s more for staying all inc at Golf, vs self catering at Eden defo does makes sense..

At the start we weren't overly keen on the idea of having paying for somewhere all inc and having to stick to that hotel, as we like being out and about, eating / drinking wherever we end up.
But I think in reality we wont be out as much 'exploring', so could well end up making great use of the all inc and the facilities etc, especially if the weather is against us.

Will have another check of some of the other H/B accom in 1800, as we are defo set on 1800 now, vs the others.
It is our first ski trip, so convenience and ease / location etc will make big difference to our time spent there.
ski holidays
I have looked multiple times at Les Arc but tended to find better value in Les Coches which is a single lift away from the Vanoise which in turn takes you to Les Arc if you want. As I drive being a bit lower is attractive though I think the slopes directly above Les Coches are less suited to beginners. I do like the area above Vallandry as it has a good range of wide pistes which are well connected by decent lifts. I did some searching there and found some good value and decent looking apartments.
snow report
This is exactly the thread I needed.
Arc 1800 or 1950!!

3rd week of Jan 2025 - 18-25th. So my only concern is that 1950 could get snowed in (last time in 2018, we were at 1600 and 1950/2000 were snowed in for 2 days!)

We want a nice self catering with as easy ski-in ski out access as possible. Walkable for restaurants etc. but really don’t care about bars etc. usually do a mix of self catering and eating out.

Any specific buildings you can advise in 1800 or 1950. Not saying money is no object, but I want chilled luxe and a bath!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy