Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last Christmas... (Saas Fee, Switzerland, Europe, Planet Earth)

Poster: A snowHead
George Michael! rolling eyes
DW loves the video so has booked a stylish apartment for the family in Saas Fee for Xmas. So far so good.
DW is not a great skier but now can now comfortably manage most blues and some reds especially when she doesn’t notice the piste marker but that’s another story...
Anyhow, I see the geology makes for a challenging lift/piste set up so thinking that maybe 3 days of morning lessons for DW so she can find her ski legs whilst the boys and I find out where we can go as a group later in the afternoons.
Any suggestions whether lessons at Saas Fee or Saas Grund would be a more pleasant experience (snow, weather, lunch) for her?
It’s Switzerland so not cheap but any recommendations for best mountain restaurants? (plus any to avoid)
Also in the afternoon/evening, we would like to go out for an occasional(!)après beer and an evening meal. Any must-visit places?
Finally, the supermarket, is there a significant advantage doing a grocery shop at Visp on the journey in or is the price differential not that great?
Sorry for this early shout out but just read stories about Brits fighting it out for sun loungers on the Costas Shocked so am desperately trying to focus the mind on something much more positive... Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 1-08-23 12:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might get a better response if you edit your thread title to include Saas Fee.

And, possibly a better response from women if you edit it to be just a wee bit less patronising.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, agree re the title
..I don't see anything patronising, just trying to meet the needs of his wife. Including lessons which are a Good Thing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx wrote:

tried but doesn't seem possible once somebody has replied... Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx wrote:
..I don't see anything patronising, just trying to meet the needs of his wife. Including lessons which are a Good Thing.
+1
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hudds7 wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

tried but doesn't seem possible once somebody has replied... Sad

If you select the scissors icon on your first post it lets you edit the title as well as the post. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
And, possibly a better response from women if you edit it to be just a wee bit less patronising.

After 10 years of trying my wife now actually ENJOYS skiing which is a fantastic result and was not always a foregone conclusion. However I'm not so sure about Saas Fee because of the stories about walking with skis over the shoulder to access lifts/pistes and instances of unexpected steep/icy sections on graded trails. Whilst neither would be noteworthy to me or the boys this sort of thing would not be enjoyable for my wife.
My wife also enjoys a glass of wine after skiing (who doesn’t?) so I would like to find somewhere for a bit of apres, noisy or otherwise. My wife travels a lot and works hard during the year (harder than me anyway) ans I would also like to find somewhere to go for an evening meal so she is not tempted to try self-catering every night since she is supposed to be on holiday. rolling eyes
I’m old so I have no idea how I have offended women by asking for ideas on getting the most out of a ski trip for my wife to Saas Fee this Christmas but please let me apologise in advance. No need trying to re-educate me; I suspect it’s too late. My wife claims that I’m going senile and says she is going to start shopping around for a care home... Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alastair Pink wrote:

If you select the scissors icon on your first post it lets you edit the title as well as the post. wink

Who would have thought! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I guess I can be hypersensitive. I dislike "DW", which I gather is Mumsnetspeak, though it's preferable to "the wife" which we get sometimes on Snowheads. I also inferred the eye rolling was a commentary on her taste in videos and the reference to being spooked by piste markings struck me as patronising too. Silly girl. And the suggestion that it would be SHE who would cook every night if you didn't go out irritated me .......

You say she's booked an apartment - but you're second guessing, presumably on the basis that she didn't do her homework properly before making the decision. Silly girl.

Probably just me....... probably got out of bed the wrong side this morning! Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Our of touch thicko moment - DW?

Personally found Saas Fee quite boring but it was early January and not everything was open. You can do most of it in a day. It's either very red or very blue in my recollection.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I had to look it up, having never been on mumsnet.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

I had to look it up, having never been on mumsnet.[/quote

And, don't keep us out of youch peoplein suspense!]
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DW = Dear Wife
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Halitosis wrote:
DW = Dear Wife

"The Boss", "The All Powerful One" work for me or "The Formidable Mrs TFS" work for me.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
YP = youch peoplein wink
snow report
@denfinella, never come across YP before. Personally I can’t stand missus or hubby.
ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
YP = youch peoplein wink

Embarassed Oops! I'll take that on the chin.
snow conditions
Halitosis wrote:
DW = Dear Wife

Thank you
latest report
WTF is youch peoplein?

Even google doesn't know.
ski holidays
rogg wrote:
WTF is youch peoplein? Even google doesn't know.

Laughing Laughing I think it was a typo for "[out of] touch people in [suspense]"!
latest report
Pam_W is right.
snow conditions
Pamski wrote:
@denfinella, never come across YP before. Personally I can’t stand missus or hubby.

Does you hubby and/or missus know? wink

Anyway re the title surely Duran Duran are in the mix as well as The Final Countdown so a bit of diversity of music there beyond Wham!

Plus if you really want to be pedantic re the video Pepsi & Shirley hence Spandau Ballet and also Ed Sheeran.
snow report
denfinella wrote:
rogg wrote:
WTF is youch peoplein? Even google doesn't know.

Laughing Laughing I think it was a typo for "[out of] touch people in [suspense]"!

Yes, trying to type on the move Embarassed
ski holidays
All that moaning and bickering, but no actual suggestion of where to eat and have apres…
snow report
abc wrote:
All that moaning and bickering, but no actual suggestion of where to eat and have apres…

You know that snowHead s have to get the negative out of the way first Laughing Laughing

Never been so can't help Laughing
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
abc wrote:

You know that snowHead s have to get the negative out of the way first Laughing Laughing

Never been so can't help Laughing

I’ve never been either. But I enjoy reading those. So am disappointed.
ski holidays
abc wrote:

Yep, I noticed that too.
rolling eyes
Once upon a time, many years ago, I was put in charge of ski bookings. Since my first priority was the skiing I suggested Tignes. So far, so good but then fatefully I booked Chalet Chardons. Shocked

Whilst nobody died I was subsequently relieved of any future accommodation booking duties. This is why DW booked Saas Fee; it looks nice and George Michael filmed his Christmas video there. (And to give her proper credit our apartment looks really nice; recently modernised and in a good location near the centre. Absolutely no complaints in that regard)

When on holiday DW is sometimes inclined to start fretting that the "children" (i.e. 20 year olds!) are not getting enough/correct food to eat so is only too willing to start preparing cooked breakfasts and 3 course evening meals. Delightful as these meals are it’s rare for SC kitchens to be particularly well equipped or contain sufficient odds and ends in the cupboards to prepare meals so every day involves a trek (or two) for groceries.

As said before I just want DW to chill, do a bit of skiing, put her feet up, have a few glasses of cava and let somebody else do the cooking and cleaning. How this could be construed as new millennium misogyny I do not know but personally I blame Boris Johnson...

So, Saas Fee. Any suggestions on favourite places for some grub on the mountain and a few sherbets afterwards would be greatly appreciated.
Anyone?
Puzzled
snow conditions
@hudds7, I think the issue is you've said what you want for her rather than what she wants...can't help with Saas Fee
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rotating restaurant at top was good but that was only time we ate on the mountain as I came down to meet non-sking wife on other days. It's too long ago to remember other bars etc
ski holidays
Sounds to me as though DW wants a week of Mother Hen. Suggest you just work out what skiing you will be doing.

Don’t book any restaurants. You will be well fed in the apartment.
snow report
I'm a Saas Fee regular so happy to assist. On mountain, my preferred spot is the large self-service at Morenia (the Asian buffet is very good). The terrace is lovely on a sunny day and indoors fine for bad weather. The restaurants at the top of the Felskinn (George Michael) cable car and at Langfluh are also very decent. The Gletschergrotte is tucked away off the main piste home but also recommended.

The main street has a number of lively outdoor bars for immediate apres and I also like the on-slope bar at the Larix hotel. Later on, Pubwise, the Old Cinema and the Aussie Bar would be drinking spots of choice. Some people swear by Nestis which is probably one of the oldest bars in any ski resort.

For lessons, you can't go wrong with the British-run Zenit ski school. A number of superb instructors; Mrs LOTA has made superb progress under their tutelage.
ski holidays
Pamski wrote:
+1
snow conditions
@LOTA, thanks for this helpful info, will give these a go and see how we do.
Been trying to determine if SaasFee is a good place to ski (too late in any event since we're all booked!). Seems like there is some serious vertical typical of the big swiss mountains and a variety of transport up to it; some of the vintage variety but that's ok. I'm guessing the Alpin Express is busy but it's a bubble so should transport any crowds up the mountain pretty efficiently. The Felskinn cable car looks like one of those stand and wait around situations but there are other options.
Have you ever used a guide to go off the top? If we get good early season snow then that could be interesting; both the boys are strong skiers so that might make for an interesting day out.
Also, do you have a favourite ski hire?
Need some skis (+ boots for wife) and would prefer renting from somewhere that looks after their kit, i.e. reward suppliers who are nice!
snow conditions
@hudds7, thank you. Saas Fee is a great place to ski! The Alpin Express is looking its age but still very efficient and the cabins are large (not really a bubble!) and clears any queues very efficiently. The Felskinn is a modern, yet traditional style, cable car - and has certainly been seriously upgraded since George Michael was in town! You can also get into the circuit by the modern two-section Spielboden gondola. Off-piste is fraught with dangers due to the glaciated terrain; I've not skied with a guide here. I have my own kit so don't hire but you will be spoiled for choice although it might depend on where you are staying. I've used the Cesar Sport opposite the Alpin Express as a skis and boots deposit and the staff here are always very friendly.
latest report
The irony that complaining about the misogyny of using DW when it is a corruption of DH from mumsnet is not lost on me here...

I've had similar with piste markers. I led her down a red in flat light (out of necessity / getting slightly lost). After she commented how much she enjoyed the piste I pointed at the red sticks.

I'm sure you will have a great time however it ends up.
ski holidays
@afterski, yes. No point trying to discuss anything with people who are looking for offence where there is none. More luck talking to the cat. Puzzled

Funny you mentioned the red, last year in Formigal I took DW Very Happy onto the tail of a red when it crossed our blue towards the bottom of the hill. She was quite shocked when I pointed out the piste markers after we stopped. And skied much better the next day too. Humm…
Baby steps, we’ll get there on day.

@LOTA has given me some great tips on making the most of our trip to SaasFee. The original plan for DW Very Happy to get more skiing development under her belt, some apres and some tasty meals out is well on track. You know, classic misogyny vintage 2023 rolling eyes
ski holidays
Nobody said "DW" was misogynistic. Just that we'd not seen it before. I do think DW is awful, but DH is awful too. Presumably keen Mumsnetters just get used to it.

I DID dislike other aspects of the OP though. Notably the implication that DW had booked a questionable venue for a ski holiday for the irrelevant reason that she loved a music video and the further implication that she had to be dissuaded from organising the holiday the way she'd like. For her own good, of course. Complete with a patronising rolly eyed smiley. Why, otherwise, open a thread about choice of resort with "George Michael. rolling eyes "

This was presumably to hook people's interest, be a bit funny. No harm in that - this place would be very boring without such things - but it just hit the wrong note with me. It wasn't mysogynistic - women can be equally patronising.

I have no idea what the video was - perhaps a link to that would have livened up the discussion?
snow report
@pam w,

http://youtube.com/v/E8gmARGvPlI

I agonise over decisions trying to optimise and my wife has a low boredom theshold. Hence whilst I attempt to "research" where to go, DW gets fed up receiving info about the pros and cons of potentially interesting ski resorts and simply goes to Booking,com (or wherever) with her credit card and books somewhere she fancies for us all to go.
And to date nobody has died.
In fact it has invariably worked out exceptionally well.

With the tips supplied by @TOTA think we'll have a similar outcome this year as well wink
latest report
@hudds7, thanks! Some really bad hair there. Laughing
snow conditions
The Flying Snowplough wrote:
Halitosis wrote:
DW = Dear Wife

"The Boss", "The All Powerful One" work for me or "The Formidable Mrs TFS" work for me.
I've heard a few funny ones, eg, her indoors, she who must be obeyed , the better half, none of which Mr Bp, uses ( within my earshot)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy