Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gluten free 3 Vallees

Poster: A snowHead
So after an earlier post on here where I was told to go somewhere with high altitude in late December. I have (almost) settled on 3 Vallees either Courchevel or Les Menuires.

Flights are locked in so it has to be France.

What is the 3 Vallees like on mountain and in supermarkets for GF food? My son is coeliac (he will be 11). Is it hard to get something suitable on the mountain? He won’t eat eggs or salad or anything saucy but loves meat, potatoes etc.

We will self cater breakfast and most dinners so will also need a good supermarket (we are flying in so will have to buy everything on mountain). Odd dinner out would also be nice.

We were in Chamomix/Les
Houches 3 years ago and it was hard but we always ended up finding something.

Also any suggestion on which village is better to stay for access to restaurants and supermarkets for GF?

Thank you!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
French supermarkets are fine, they will have GF bread and snacks, the Gerble brand is good.

The only restaurant that I have been in recently is L' Elephant in le Praz, it does GF burgers.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My wife is coeliac and we stayed in Courchevel twice in recent years - 2015 and 2018 if I recall correctly, so its a little out of date. The supermarkets will cater for the basics - breads and snacks as mentioned above. You'll also get potatoes, veg, meats, rice etc to make your own dinners. Quality of meat usually not amazing but you're 1800m up a mountain! If you can make a stop in the valley on arrivals day before you go up the mountain you'll have a better selection.
We self catered for pretty much all meals. Very little options eating out i'm afraid. My wife sticks to the diet 100% e.g. won't eat chips that in fried in the same oil as non GF food. I'm sure if you search extensively you'll find some options but you'll probably pay well for it.
We did get some deliveries from Huski and they have a good GF selection. Definitely worth looking at.
In terms of other resorts, we went to Tignes in 2022. Similar story to Courchevel. There was one small place that did some GF sandwiches.
This year we went to Montgenevre. The supermarkets there are a lot smaller than Courchevel/Tignes and the GF selection is very limited. Also, GF eating out options were almost non-existent. My wife packed gf pasta, bread, a GF fajita kit, a gf pizza base etc as well as her crackers, biscuits and other snacks. So we had the GF elements of self catered dinners for the week. We liked Montgenevre apart from the food and if we return next year we'll pack even more gf food to bring with us.
It would be lovely to get some nice food out for her when we ski but we've come to accept that options will be limited so we keep our expectations low and try to make the best of cooking at home. Based on our experience this year, your options will be better at one of the larger resorts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am coeliac too, for the last EOSB I brought with me a loaf of bread, some GF cookies and morning cereals.Just to be sure.
But I found those items in local supermarkets too.
You can use GF bread to make him awesome sandwiches for midday with cold cuts, mayou and mustard etc.
In the evenings I could always find decent options to eat out.
Regarding mountain restaurants, many places fry the frites in the same oil with onion rings and schnitzels. No GF buns for burgers, maybe you can carry some in your backpack?
And I always have Snickers in my backpack
There is a huge Super U supermarket in Moutiers on your way to the mountains, good for self caters.
BTW in Tignes Le Lac there is a small Asian take away kitchen in Palafour building, G pot if I remember...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you have the opportunity to stop at a big Carrefour, then do so.
We looked last year & prices are much cheaper than in the UK - a lot les selection in resort (L2A) compared to looking at the Carrefour website for Grenoble & the one between Grenoble & Lyon. Unfortunately we opted for transfers over hiring.
Managed to go the week OK without it feeling to samey!
At worst smuggle in some GF Pasta!
https://www.carrefour.fr/s?q=sans-gluten
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. So we are coming from Australia and have a month in Europe and are bribing all our ski gear. We will be flying into Geneva and then getting a transfer - no way I’m driving on the wrong side of the road - did that this Jan in Canada and it was scary.

I will maybe be able to bring one pack of pasta/bread but we will be there for 2 weeks so will be mostly dependent on the supermarkets on mountain. Can we get any pasta/bread/buns in the mountain supermarkets?

We do not ski with backpacks but can stuff a few snacks in a pocket. Are there usually options for plain meat etc on mountain? He would be happy with a sausage, piece of roast chicken etc? Or even a savoury galette.

Other choose is Les Arcs - anyone been to that and 3V and can say which would be easier? I do like that you can go down to BSM if needed but all the YouTube videos I have seen of 3V the skiing looks so much better (everything I have seen of Les Arcs seems to be cat tracks/traversing). We are high intermediate skiers Having just spent 16 days skiing Canada and ski Australia regularly
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
legallybl0nde wrote:
Can we get any pasta/bread/buns in the mountain supermarkets?

There are different sizes of supermarket spead around the three valleys, some will have more than others, some might not have anything.

Quote:
Are there usually options for plain meat etc on mountain? He would be happy with a sausage, piece of roast chicken etc? Or even a savoury galette.

I would not assume that a galette is just made with buckwheat flour, or that a sausage will be GF.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@legallybl0nde, agree with you that 3V has better skiing than Les Arcs; more variety.

Les Menuires is large enough that the supermarket should have a reasonable choice. Similarly Courchevel 1650/Moriond and Courchevel 1850, although the latter is pretty upmarket (=expensive) so you may not want to stay there. Courchevel 1550/Village is quite small with fewer places to eat out and only a small supermarket. I don't know Courchevel Le Praz or La Tania as well but someone else will. Since you will need to shop regularly try to find accommodation that is relatively close to the centre; some places are more suited for those driving so quite a walk or bus ride away.

I would be wary of mountain restaurants for truly gluten free options. But it will be easy to drop to one of the villages for lunch, where you would have more choice of places to eat or the option of a supermarket.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
legallybl0nde wrote:
Other choose is Les Arcs - anyone been to that and 3V and can say which would be easier? I do like that you can go down to BSM if needed but all the YouTube videos I have seen of 3V the skiing looks so much better (everything I have seen of Les Arcs seems to be cat tracks/traversing). We are high intermediate skiers Having just spent 16 days skiing Canada and ski Australia regularly

I'd not say that gives a true picture of Les Arcs vis a vis 3V. Both are really good but 3V is the larger if you expect to explore right to periphery. LA may have that appearance (cat track) at the ridges separating the valleys, but otherwise there's huge variety of piste covering the mountain and absolutely ideal from skills match that you've noted.

Most served on mountain food and shop wise is 1800 village with largest collection to choose.

Certainly LA more compact than 3V (you have to go some to get the far reaches of kms in 3V) with more varied slopes closer to village, but with neither holding particular bias one from another. Obviously adds La Plagne too with Vanoise Express connection, I feel you've a free choice from that aspect, both have alot to offer. Obviously BsM does add practical capacity of choice with ease of connection too as you've noted shop and food wise, its quite a substantial commercial centre with likely availability in diet consideration too, tge biggest supermarkets are represented there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hello @legallybl0nde - fellow Aussie here. In 2020 I stayed a week at the Hotel L'Ours Blanc half-board in Les Menuires and had gluten-free meals the whole time. But note, gluten free but not coeliac. It might be worthwhile emailing to see if they do GF meals for coeliacs. The hotel is slope side so you can ski in and out for lunch, and it might be nice for a night out or two.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@legallybl0nde If you are getting a private transfer then request in advance for a stop in a large supermarket before you go up the mountain. You may have to pay a little extra or tip the driver but it will be worth it to stock up on GF products.
You will get bread etc in the supermarkets in village in somewhere like Courchevel. As pointed out 1650/Courchevel Moriond is a good base. In my opinion the skiing in the 3V is amazing. I have really enjoyed trips to Les Arcs but I would have Courchevel / 3V ahead of it for sure.

As pointed out by @rdk, gluten free does not mean it is suitable for coeliacs. Perhaps your son is ok with mild cross contamination. But if he is very sensitive then he will struggle to get meals out. Sausages will not be GF, chips will most likely be fried in oil with non GF foods etc.
You will have an amazing trip. Just keep your expectations low when it comes to eating out.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks. I do not know whether it will be shared or private transfers as we cannot book anything yet.

Can I ask what makes you say sausages will not be gluten free? Do French sausages always contain gluten or is it the way they are cooked? In Australia sausages never contain gluten (except for one English style brand) - I know in Ireland they all do. Not sure though on French sausages but when we were in chamomix 3 years ago the sausages were ok I recall
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@legallybl0nde, French sausages are almost always gluten free, unlike British ones. Obviously always check but I've never actually come across a gluten containing one in France. Do check how they are cooked though. Most restaurants have a separate fryer for chips (one told me it's the law, though I've no idea if that's actually true). France is not generally great for gluten free, but the three valleys is about the best I've come across. Tartiflette is almost always gluten free and readily available. I can give you some specific recommendations later but it's very VT focused as that's where I've spent most of my time. I don't think you need to worry about stopping at a supermarket in the valley, the resort supermarkets all have bread/pasta/cereal. If you were fine in Chamonix I think you'll be fine in the 3v.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gämsbock, I'd be interested in any recommendations you have for GF in Val Tho, ahead of the EoSB.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
legallybl0nde wrote:
Thanks. I do not know whether it will be shared or private transfers as we cannot book anything yet.

Can I ask what makes you say sausages will not be gluten free? Do French sausages always contain gluten or is it the way they are cooked? In Australia sausages never contain gluten (except for one English style brand) - I know in Ireland they all do. Not sure though on French sausages but when we were in chamomix 3 years ago the sausages were ok I recall

I'll be honest, that was a presumption on my part. I haven't seen GF sausages in France but haven't looked for them either. I had presumed that they would be like Ireland where they're mostly not GF (in Ireland there is usually a GF sausage available in supermarkets and some hotels/restaurants would also have them but generally they're not GF). We'll look out for them when we're back in France this Summer.
Best of luck with the trip and let us know how it goes.
latest report
@legallybl0nde, have a look at somewhere like www.sherpa.net, who have stores in many ski resorts in France. By starting an online order you can see exactly what products they sell, and for many their ingredients. Perhaps will give you some reassurance.
snow conditions
@Gämsbock, Would be great if you could share your VT recommendations for eating out GF.
We are planning to get back and, AFAIK, the only place that our GF son liked (wok ski) was closed in the summer.
snow report
@Biliks, Wok Ski was open in January. (It was slow and a bit disappointing.)
snow report
@tomj sorry for the delay and @Biliks thanks for the reminder.

This is a list I‘ve built up over a few years/visits. None of my experiences are this season, some are somewhat older… places change so usual caveat of check yourself if you visit. Sorry, they aren‘t child orientated as I don‘t have kids.

On the mountain
- Chalet de la marine in VT - posh upstairs but also options in the bar type place downstairs. Upstairs is excellent though. Last year they brought out their pastry chef to explain what dessert options they had gluten free (and there were several).
- In the proper restaurant part of the Chinal Donat in Orelle. As a bonus, service was friendly and efficient. Note: not the attached restaurant self which was very much more limited to chips.
- Chez Pepe Nicolas between VT and LM - GF marked on menu.
- La Maison de Savoy on the edge of the piste in Les Menuires.
- The downstairs restaurant at the Chalet de Thorens (Knife and Fork) had a great salad bar which was almost entirely GF. Their chips are also fried separately.
- The Wok bar at Chalet de Thorens also used to have a number of GF options.

In VT town, the steak house had a number of options. It used to be really good, was a bit disappointing on my last visit but still ok. For eating in the apartment, I can‘t remember where, but somewhere up the top of town I found a traiteur place which had spit roast chickens and accompanying potatoes (roast under the chickens). There was a place in the Peclet centre that had a GF potato dauphin one year, the guy was very helpful.

Generally I have found knowledge and helpfulness about GF has improved significantly over the last few years, at least in VT. All the supermarkets in VT have GF bread/cereal/biscuits/pasta. Last year I also found GF Mont Blanc beer in a number of places.
snow report
@Gämsbock Thank you so very much! Extremely helpful. A lot of new places to check out next time we're in VT.
I assume that by "steak house" you were referring to Club 72. We dined there in our last stay and quite enjoyed the evening. The Glutenians among us had quite a few options and liked their GF bread a lot.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy