Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix - current ski tour conditions???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of heading out next weekend (2nd March) for a few days, how are conditions on the ski tour routes? Valley Blanche, pointe ronde, Les houche, col du noir - Argentiere, etc etc
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow on Wednesday. 1st fall for a while. All good
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’m not in Cham but have friends there and have spent enough time in the French alps this winter to be sceptical of Janpaul’s view. It’s been an exceptionally dry winter so glaciers will be very tricky - snow bridges will not have formed to any depth and the snow mid-week came to very little. The Cham avalanche report recons 1cm at 1800m on Weds! Touring you’ll be skiing snow that’s over a month old and has been subject to some very mild temperatures… it will be mixed at best.

I see you’ve also posted on the Cham weather thread so will probably get some more views from on the ground.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, yes that’s what I’m worried about!

I was out in Jan and was lucky enough to get the amazing powder but with nothing since then (and not much before that dump) I’m worried conditions might be a bit crappy or even dangerous on the glaciers.

Any views from the valley welcome though!

Cheers

Ben
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BenAd wrote:
Thanks, yes that’s what I’m worried about!

I was out in Jan and was lucky enough to get the amazing powder but with nothing since then (and not much before that dump) I’m worried conditions might be a bit crappy or even dangerous on the glaciers.

Any views from the valley welcome though!

Cheers

Ben

Can't give you any read on the glaciers I'm afraid but I did four days touring around Les Contamines 17-21 Feb and while the snow was mixed at best there was plenty of cover above 1600m.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
'm a boarder and went up Aiguille du Midi with my other half on last Friday as a pedestrian and then down to the grotte de glacier.

To my inexperienced eye, the top section looked tracked out and the bottom section pretty sketchy. The run was finishing before the ice cave so it was a bit of a scramble at the end, even before you got to the 500 steps up to the little cable cars.

I spoke to a guide (who was doing it with her Mum) who described it as "nice", which I took to be get polite way of not saying how bad it was in front of others who'd paid a lot to do it. She also said that she saw three people being helicoptered out, one of which with a broken leg. We saw the choppers to support that.

I'm not particularly informed about the other bits you asked about, but I've just come over to Courmayeur for the second day in a row as they had quite a bit of snow on Sunday and the off-piste conditions here are very good, when the visibility is there.

Lots of people doing the off-piste from the top of ARP cable car for example.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy