Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

22 to 29 April Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning a ski/board trip with a friend from 22 to 29 April this year, the dates are fixed because the person I am going with is not able to travel before then for good reasons.

I am looking at recommendations of where to go, with the following considerations:
Ski lifts open until 28 April
Good snow quality as likely as reasonably possible
Preferably within driving reach of the UK (an overnight stop to split the journey is ok), would consider short flights at a push
Preferably not France (I'm fine with France but my friend is keen to go somewhere else), also if we were going to France I wouldn't be asking and instead I'd plan to book somewhere last minute in Tignes, L2A or VT (depending on snow forecasts/conditions)
Preferably somewhere with more than just a glacier open
Preferably somewhere with a few resorts to choose from, ideally on a shared lift pass (not essential)
Preferably somewhere with cheap deals on good quality end of season accommodation (not essential but it's nice to get a bargain)

I'm happy with any out there suggestions although long hall is certainly not on the cards.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Henwc wrote:
Preferably within driving reach of the UK (an overnight stop to split the journey is ok), would consider short flights at a push
Preferably not France (I'm fine with France but my friend is keen to go somewhere else), also if we were going to France I wouldn't be asking and instead I'd plan to book somewhere last minute in Tignes, L2A or VT (depending on snow forecasts/conditions)

It would be helpful if you could be more specific about what compromises you're prepared to make in this regard, what you consider driving reach of the UK, what sort of flight time/distance from airport you'd consider, etc. Because otherwise the best available options are the ones you've listed. Is Zermatt/Cervinia easy enough for you to reach, for example?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, no one is going to be surprised if I suggest Verbier in the Swiss Quatre Vallées. 8½ hours drive time from Calais with a half-way point by time somewhere between Troyes and Besançon if you want an overnight. You'd need to check the resort website to see what exactly is and isn't open closer to the time. There is cheaper accommodation available at Le Chable in the valley, which has the gondola up to Verbier from its car park/railway station. Verbier is at 1500m at the base of the ski area, and the sector summit is Mt.Fort at 3,330m
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Both

On driving reach we'd probably stop off in Kent and get a super early tunnel, so anything unto about 12h from Calais is possible.
Flight time is pretty flexible just not North America, I'd say 3/4 hours would be ok
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sweden?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think most of Europe will be pretty bad by late April - the snow base is generally low and its getting too late in the year to significantly change this, granted the situation may change but you seldom make a base in March. I would not be booking anything until much closer to the time, it is dead low season and you will have the run of most resorts that are still open.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are very open to flying to Sweden or Norway or similar.

I originally discounted it because I thought the long days at the end of April might ruin the snow? but I am very happy to be wrong on that point

My friend would be super happy heading there
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Henwc wrote:
We are very open to flying to Sweden or Norway or similar.

If you board and don’t like drags, these might not be the places for you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm a skier and my friend is the boarder. He doesn't like drags much but he'd also prefer not going to Tignes (purely to experience a different ski culture, it's pretty hard to make a case against the skiing/boarding in Tignes)

So I suspect he'd accept the drags happily
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@LaForet, Sadly it appears that the Verbier lifts close on the 23rd April (https://verbier4vallees.ch/V4V-Website/Documents/Horaires-installations/HORAIRES_HIVER_22-23_EN.pdf).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ischgl
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That late you are likely to have to rely on a glacier to be sure of good conditions. It does quite often happen that there is plenty of snow lower down, but not that reliably.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Below glacier level resorts will always hedge their "piste closure" dates and even before final closure, some lifts and pistes will be closing down, even if snow is good, to save cash.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, or just cos lifties are on fixed contracts
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree about the point on Glaciers and closing runs, I know we can't avoid it, I'm just aiming to make the most of what we can get.

From the various comments (and further research) it sounds like the best options are Zermatt/Saas Fee, west Austria, resorts in Norway to the east of Bergen or possibly Sweden. I'll look into Sweden but I don't know it well enough to get a feel for the right Airport to aim for.

We have a rough plan to drive to western Austria but I think it's best to be as flexible as possible and keep an eye on the snow conditions. If anywhere else springs to mind please let me know.
snow conditions
@Henwc, both Ischgl and Solden should still have a lot open by then. Most of their runs are over 2000 metres.
ski holidays
Zermatt is great in April with its height, weather and mountain restaurants. Not cheap though!
ski holidays
You could do 3 days in andermatt amd 3 days in Engelberg
latest report
@Henwc, we often do the last week of the season in Saas Fee and always have a blast. Some years we are skiing powder, sometimes it’s so warm that a long lunch/download on the lifts is in order. But it is always a glorious place in the spring.
snow report
@Henwc,

Tignes or Hintertux (Tux).

For Hintertux you could stay down at Mayerhofen. Should be like spring down in Mayerhoffen but only 30 min drive to Tux gondola.

Mayerhoffen will have lots of accom but the town will be very quiet by then as it will just be Tux slopes open by those dates (Its part of the Zillertal area in the Winter)
ski holidays
Thanks all, @zikomo do you know if the run down to the village in Saas Fee stays open if there is enough snow? I guess the mid station is a reasonably good bet for April either way?
snow report
@Henwc,
Won't be much still open in the Alps that late, especially if you are discounting France.
snow conditions
If you fly to the Alos, just watch out for transfers, all the buses etc will have finished so you’ll need a hire car or somewhere achievable by train. I’d drive to Tignes, quelle surprise!
latest report
Trysil closes April 23rd - Are closes 1st May so prob your best bet

Skied Trysil this time last month and the snow was plentiful and silly good - haven't skied Are but according to the Swedes we met in Trysil its even better and the beer is cheaper!
snow report
In the end we followed those that advised Ischgl and the trip was excellent, we lost the final Friday to rain up the mountain but plenty of excellent snow was available up to that point and so we were still happy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy