Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Norway skiing for Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
So we're tentatively thinking of skiing in Norway over Christmas this year, our reasons being:

1. Will (finally) make a change from 20 odd years in Vallandry
2. More snow sure than Alps
3. Boy likely to be Norway in any case - so easier for him to join
4. Again for boy - plenty of XC for him to train on

I know that:
1. It's expensive, particularly for booze
2. It'll be dark early (and cold)
3. There's not 100's of KM of pistes

Whether it's "christmassy" or not is irrelevant - it's just a free time for us

I've been looking at a DIY package of flights, car and chalet - which would seem to meet our requirements. However, would welcome the SH input of places to go/avoid and any companies to look at who do packages.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just came back from Norway, and it was brilliant. The slopes were small but uncrowded and we always found plenty to do -- personally I think people get too hung up about big piste KMs resorts when crowds (or lack of) are more of an issue.

We were self catering and found most food in the shops to be only 20-30% more expensive than the UK, which is nothing. Meat and cheese were pricey though. Beer in the supermarket costs double the UK price and is capped at 4.7%, but wine (which you have to get in special booze shop) didn't actually cost much more than home.

The snow and scenery were outstanding. We had fresh snow during our stay and were able to ski amongst the birch trees, and one day they opened the lifts early so we were able to ski at sunrise.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Voss and Myrkdalen a lot of fun. And easy. Ditto Norefjell. Was at all three early this Jan. Great snow, great time. Write up on the first two at Fall-Line. Planet Ski are there currently and good write-up on how/why/where etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Being in a nice cosy wooden sort of hut in the woods with lots of candles, lots of books to read and a sauna, where you could roll in the snow and beat yourself with birch twigs, would be fun, and different. I'd be much less attracted by a conventional sort of hotel.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Boris, if it were me I'd go late season (by choice) because, as you say, it goes dark early and it's probably very cold. But I've only been once (skiing that is, I've also done a Hurtigruten northern lights cruise) in Jan 2017 on a very cheap last minute Crystal deal to Beitøstolen, excellent for CC but very limited downhill. (I attempted to learn CC but gave up - it's very different, couldn't turn or stop properly and I ski reds/easier blacks). But it was a beautiful place. Cold as hell though - you really need the gear. I guess it's another country to tick off! Only place I've been where the plane landed on snow - it was "interesting".

Go for it, it's another experience. Others will recommend a decent DH resort.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Cold as hell

That would concern me a bit. I'm less tolerant of cold as I get over. When I skied in Geilo, on a school trip, it was April and really warm, so no problem.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@HilbertSpace, we were in Oslo over the weekend, which prompted the skiing thoughts, and found wine to be really pricey. But agree on food

@billb, yep will be short days but Xmas is best time for us as family and makes most of leave - although Easter is earlier next year thinking about it
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Boris, '' Boy likely to be Norway in any case - so easier for him to join''

Grab that opportunity whilst you can! Very Happy I am so glad we tailored several of our ski holidays around where and when our sons (at the same sort of ages your offspring are) could join us! We made the best of memories before permanent partners and the next generation came along. Everything then changed in a wonderfully positive way but those last few holidays will always be special!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If he'll still be there at Easter, that would be a better bet for Norway!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, yep, but other boys currently teaching and Miss B will have finals so Xmas May work better for them. Will need to consider the options
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Boris, bear in mind that whilst Christmas should be cold ( compared to the Alps, at least) it's still relatively early in the season so there may not be that much snow. I'm sure some of the Norwegian resorts are better than others in this respect but I don't know which ones.
If you'll have a car and are willing to drive some days, Lillehammer might be a decent bet - it's got 2 main downhill areas (Hafjell and Kvitfjell), lots of cross country options plus the bobsleigh run if you fancy it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Boris, we've been to Trysil and plan to go again this year, both times at Easter as conditions seem better then. As above Christmas seems a bit early for the more southerly resorts that are near Olso, as I've kept an eye on the Christmas conditions there a few times, several times the more southerly resorts cant open fully (Trysil, Gaustablikk) by then. I imagine the more northerly ones may not have the same issue, but they are rather distant to Olso so you may not want to fly in there, rather land somewhere further north and the boy travel up to meet you?

Trysil is the biggest resort but its hardly that compared to the Euro resorts, up north they certainly won't be big. But should have plenty of XC, as it seems the national sport.

And on the pro side , if the experience in Trysil can be extrapolated, getting around is easy, driving is no problem, the locals are very friendly. The resorts aren't manic and neither are the skiers Eating out can be very expensive but and if you're used to London other things dont have to be, accomodation isnt badly priced. Rental cars (albeit out of Olso) are not too expensive either.

I believe Ski Safari are well though of but I thought them snotty when I called them once, so I have and would just DIY it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ster, Thank you - Trysil is the one I have been looking at, as it seems to tick most boxes, interesting re snow conditions at Xmas. As it's close ish to Lillehammer (where boy's been in Nov for last few years for XC) I assumed it would have snow.

Sadly I think Easter is out, due to Miss B being in final Uni year, and out of term time tricky for other lad.

Some more research to do!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boris, for the wine, do what the locals do and stock up at the duty free shop for arrivals at Oslo
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Boris, it wouldn’t be totally bereft of snow and they will make big efforts to open some slopes (I imagine the XC will need less so will be open) but it seems to be hit or miss at Xmas. So if you accept the risk and possibility of only a little alpine skiing then you could plan.

The biggest commitment that fixes you there will be the accommodation but this can be helped by:
- Skistar snow guarantee if you book thru them (but read t&cs carefully)
- cancellable booking at Radisson Blu via booking.com or Radisson directly (although Radisson will only have the one property there next year)

But if you want somewhere also near to Oslo with similar Xmas risk but more non-skiing things to do, look at Gaustablikk.
snow report
Just got back from Trysil. Been there MANY times. For pistes, its the best in Norway with a great variation. To save on costs, try to get self-accomodation, and get your food and drink from the supermarkets - NOT the ones at the resort, as they are 30% more than the usual Rema 1000, Xtra or KIWI. These are in the town centre. No Norwegians ever eat out at all meals. They might have a lunch at the resort one day, but most will go back to their cabins/apartments for lunch and dinner.
snow report
We just came back from half term at Hemsedal.

It's nice if somewhat limited but that wasn't too much of an issue.

Not particularly colder than France, - a few degrees. Snow wasn't "great" but not bad and no worse. It would have been a much nicer resort with better snow opening up the offpiste / trees.
Night skiing was a nice addition, well lit pistes opened to 7:30 most nights (friday they shut them at 4:30, bashed the runs flat and reopened at 5:30 until 8:30 which made the runs quite fun) Early morning skiing on sat too.

Nice parks, esp the little one at the base (although the next size up was more fun!)

Wasn't too busy, good lift queuing with singles line. Short drags to get out of the base were irritating on 1st day but no real issue after.

Very friendly, esp compared to France.

Drinks ridiculous, too old to drink so much but it irritated to pay £15 for a beer. So we just drank some wine in appt and didn't bother too much.

3 hour coach transfer from Oslo, not too bad (we spent a couple of nights in Oslo but wouldn't really recommend it)
snow conditions
I think the starter point would look for a great place for XC that has Downhill rather than the other way around. Hemsadal has great down hill but the xc is quiet a way away.
Beitestollen could fit the bill aswell as Geilo.
People are always concerned about the short days at Xmas, but having worked many years at Christmas in Norway you have plenty of hrs.of day light, usually 9 ,until 4pm. There is often night skiing and light loipe for the XC..
I think this is a trip for your cross county skiing son to research. Please contact if I can help further.
snow conditions
I think the starter point would look for a great place for XC that has Downhill rather than the other way around. Hemsadal has great down hill but the xc is quiet a way away.
Beitestollen could fit the bill aswell as Geilo.
People are always concerned about the short days at Xmas, but having worked many years at Christmas in Norway you have plenty of hrs.of day light, usually 9 ,until 4pm. There is often night skiing and light loipe for the XC..
I think this is a trip for your cross county skiing son to research. Please contact if I can help further.
ski holidays
One of the few things I remember about Geilo is that it's on the train line between Bergen (where we went by boat) and Oslo. I left my walking boots on the train - they went to Oslo and were sent back after a few days.

I wouldn't make a special trip to Oslo either - I spent a while there before I went to the Lofotens, sailing, but I have to say it's not the most exciting spot. Indeed, Norway isn't the most exciting spot..... I did enjoy the museum about WW2, because I'd read a book about it in preparation for the trip and it brought it to life. I greatly enjoyed the Fram museum too, but that was because I'd read so much polar exploration stuff in my young days. It wouldn't appeal to everybody.

Norwegian trains seemed good. And good value booked in advance with tourist tickets. I did an overnight sleeper to Trondheim from Oslo then a day trip all the way up the coast to Bodo, the jumping off place for the Lofotens. An awful lot of trees..... and fjords........ but I had a good book.
ski holidays
We did a short lads trip to Trysil (mixed ability group) this time last month and skiing wise it was excellent - quality snow / empty slopes / courteous skiers / lovely locals = perfect.

The 'only' downside was the v limited apres (which on a lads trip is de rigeur) and the silly expensive alchohol - and by limited I mean restaurants taking last orders at 9pm and at 8pm on Sunday! Bars were few and far between and most closed at 10pm - heresy! There were a couple of late(ish) night locations but these were filled with 20 somethings so we felt a little daft after 10mins of beer sipping.

Talking to the locals most of the hardcore parties were apparently 'in hut' but we weren't there long enough to get invited to any (and what we were assuming were blonde / semi naked birch flagellation type affairs) so I'm reserving the Nordics for family / spring trips only in future!
ski holidays
@Belch, I can certainly cope with no night life Laughing

Have to say I enjoyed Oslo - was there over the weekend and would visit again, but wouldn't make it a must do feature of any ski trip.

Thanks all for the input - few things to consider here
snow report
We did Hemsedal a week before Christmas week many many years ago with a skistar package. Don’t underestimate how cold and dark it can be. At one point in the week they closed the chair lift up and only had the T-bar running high as it was too cold. I was wearing every item of clothing I had and was still cold.

Given I was rubbish at the time I fell off the t-bar half way up and had to inch down the steep black mogul run alongside.
snow conditions
AndrewBailey wrote:
We did Hemsedal a week before Christmas week many many years ago with a skistar package. Don’t underestimate how cold and dark it can be. At one point in the week they closed the chair lift up and only had the T-bar running high as it was too cold. I was wearing every item of clothing I had and was still cold.

Given I was rubbish at the time I fell off the t-bar half way up and had to inch down the steep black mogul run alongside.

Agree with that re the cold - I was using a merino T shirt / polartec 100 fleece / synthetic gilet / synthetic hoody and a goretex shell and still 'felt it' on more than a few occasions. Did see several peeps wearing my usual 'apres jkt' - a Mountain Equipment Lightline down puffa (which is mega warm) to ski in . . .!
latest report
I would struggle to deal with that amount of cold and certainly wouldn't pay to deal with it.
snow conditions
Boy just reported it's -18c this morning in Lillehammer - so may be equally unlucky later in season than Xmas.

Again thanks for input all - still thinking about it - think the issue will be getting commitment from people, not so much kids but should they want partners to also join us
snow report
Reading these comments about the cold makes me wish that I could post a gif here...of Uncle Roger saying "so weak!". It might be -18 in the very early morning. It is never that in the middle of the day/afternoon. Maybe -7. How do I know this? I have lived here for 26 years.
latest report
A great time to ski in Norway is when the XC championship is on. The whole of Norway is glued to the telly and the slopes are empty. Happy

I had a great time in Norefjel thanks to Marítimo, Theresa, and Peter Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lilledonmarco wrote:
Reading these comments about the cold makes me wish that I could post a gif here...of Uncle Roger saying "so weak!". It might be -18 in the very early morning. It is never that in the middle of the day/afternoon. Maybe -7. How do I know this? I have lived here for 26 years.

Agree its not that bad; -14 in the sun when your not used to it does burn the nostrils a bit but nothing a good facemask cannot sort! Snow conditions more than make up for late season Alpes T shirt skiing in slush commonly found elsewhere!
snow report
When I skied in Geilo in April, many moons ago, we were in T shirts and slush. Loved it, though! My first experience.
ski holidays
Not Christmas, but Easter...we're trying to sneak in a late season trip, possibly to Norefjell.

All seemed to look okay until we tried to work out how to get there from Oslo.

A cab understandably costs a lot, driving isn't an option for us either, however we thought (from the Norefjell website) there were buses, but it seems these only run on select days which doesn't help.

Has anyone else travelled from Oslo airport by public transport and if so how did you manage it (it looks like we'd have to arrive on a Thursday and return on a Thursday)?
snow conditions
...or perhaps Geilo is better by public transport as I believe there is a direct train (we were in Trysil this Christmas, which is the only reason I haven't included that, as we enjoyed it, but thought it would be nice to explore somewhere else)?
snow conditions
I went to Geilo by train from Bergen (and one of my walking boots carried on on the train, to Oslo... but was sent back to me by helpful people...) on a school trip in 1963.
snow report
In the end we have opted for Geilo by train from Oslo, as it just seemed impossible to get to Norefjell on a Thursday.

@pam w, we will try not to lose our boots Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy