Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido Trip Report (Inc. Injury & Rescue Issues) - Feb 2023

Poster: A snowHead
@mountainaddict, bummer for the injury of Ms MA. Hope everything get sorted out soon.

Gored wrote:
Hmm insurance could be tricky if it does not cover off piste.
Most normal insurances that cover winter sports, only covers piste skiing

Why would anyone suspect the OP go on an off-piste ski trip without having off-piste coverage?

Bergmeister wrote:
Seriously, though - how can anyone plan for the nightmare scenario described above? Puzzled Shocked

Wearing less layers, so he didn't sweat as much when undertaking the above? Puzzled

Wear layers that can be taken off. It’s more a problem for off-piste skier than ski tourers. Tourers would have dressed in layers for the up hill and the downhill.

Also extra layers to stay warm in the event of injury and need to wait extended time for rescue.

The scenario wasn’t all that unusual. An injury away from resort is always a serious issue. As @phil_w puts it, it isn’t Disneyland any more.

You can only plan as much as you know. (So the more you know the better you can plan) Still, there’re always scenario that you hadn’t thought of, but that’s where insurance comes in. For those who aren’t prepare to face the unexpected, better stay home. (I don’t mean it in any negative way. It’s just there are more unexpected in a foreign country. So one need to have the right mental attitude to deal with some level of complication. Some people find such situation far more stressful than others)

For those who are so used to helicopter rescue in Europe, I rarely seen helicopters in North America. Only once or twice in the last 10 years. Given much of Japan’s skiing are below tree line like in North America, I wouldn’t be expecting too frequent of helicopters either.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@abc,

North shore rescue do quite a lot of long-line rescues. Apparently this is way easier, doesn't need a clearing in the forest, and less risky than putting in a team and trying to hike the victim out.
I'm sure if I ever needed it I'd appreciate it, but being dangled on a string from a helicopter seems pretty scary! Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well a good friend was badly injured in La Grave a couple of weeks ago, she used to be one of the top female skiers in La Grave, her old man is one of the top guides, been living there since 94, and she was skiing with her son who had just been given a wildcard into the Junior FreeRide tour, so she knows the protocol rolling eyes

The injury was a bad ACL and no way could she ski, she was in the forest in a really gnarly part above P1, bad weather so heli not an option. Her son skied down raised the alarm and went back up with the security patrol and collected a blood wagon and then skied back down to Jojo, who said at times as she was being carried back down she was nigh on vertical in it, she doesn't phase easily. However, she was still full of surprise and admiration for the guys when I was with her recently.

So if they can do it in La Grave, and those that have skied there know there's not exactly a massive pisteur presence, and yet some well know Japanese resort that probably has far more resources can't get to a skier that's going through a gate to I suggest far more mellow terrain than LG, then I still find that a tad frail !
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Right folks, here we go Very Happy Updates for you all on our Japow trip and Mrs MA's injury.

1. We are insured with MPI and are covered for on and off-piste, with our without a guide.
2. We've been skiing for 35 years, are also ardent ski tourers (refuge to refuge in the Alps and DIY touring in Scotland). As a result, we're anything but naive, appreciate the dangers and possibilities and are generally very risk averse.
3. Having signed up for a guided trip, you do assume that you will be in good hands in terms of assistance if the worst comes to the worst. In our case, a Japanese guide went for help, while two UK guides assisted the casualty. The UK guides' understanding (whether based on previous experience or not, I dont know) was that the Kokusai piste patrol would perform the rescue. The Japanese guide radioed to say that the piste patrol would not be coming and that it would be a mountain rescue job. We therefore took it from there (in terms of evacuation of Mrs MA ourselves) once it became apparent that help would be a long time coming.
4. I'm pleased to confirm that we knew we weren't in Disneyland and that our mental fortitude, saw us through. Mrs MA was amazing.
5. We weren't very far at all from the piste. We entered a gate at the side of a marked run and followed the guide down, heading away from the direction of the piste. The accident happened no more than 500m from the piste. We didn't have a piste map and still haven't checked what the status of the terrain was. But just to reaffirm, we were relatively close to the piste. This had also been the case on our three previous days of skiing. At no point did we think we were in the middle of nowhere, as we have been in the Alps.
6. Despite all my layers, boiling alive and flagging a bit through stamping through three feet of powder uphill to my left (I was thinking a hip replacement would be necessary...), I had no intention of stopping to strip off. The most important thing was to get Mrs MA off the mountain.
7. I've amended our flights. We now fly home tomorrow, instead of next Saturday.
8. The insurers have confirmed that they are to arrange wheelchair assistance and aircraft seating to ensure that Mrs MA's journey is as comfortable as possible. They were unable to confirm exactly what that will entail.
9. Mrs MA is in good spirits and is not in as much pain as before.
10. Now the dust has settled, we have both been reflecting on the most fantastic four powder days of our lives and the lovely cultural experience of visiting Japan. We're just putting it down as a bit more of a minibreak than we had originally planned wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
So if they can do it in La Grave...
Very interesting that @Weathercam, thanks for sharing. As alluded to in my update, we managed to get her out on a fairly shallow traverse across the hill. Doable with a sledge or skidoo?? We'll never know... Confused
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mountainaddict, yes, I think you put your experience etc most succinctly, very much like me and the OH though she has not done hut to hut: and I think you know where I'm coming from when I say a gate "into more mellow terrain" , and the fact you were only 500m from the piste is nigh on outrageous protocol rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc wrote:

Gored wrote:
Hmm insurance could be tricky if it does not cover off piste.
Most normal insurances that cover winter sports, only covers piste skiing

Why would anyone suspect the OP go on an off-piste ski trip without having off-piste coverage?

Because not every reads the small print & every policy is different. My insurance covers off piste only if it is within boundaries of the ski area. Now OP already had an issue about recovery & as there was gates the guide assumed they was within the boundaries.
Quite a few 'normal' activites poeple do on holiday may not be covered. Dune Buggy, Banana boats, some cycling activities, etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glad to know it all get sorted out.

Quote:
4. I'm pleased to confirm that we knew we weren't in Disneyland and that our mental

@mountainaddict, my Disney comment weren’t directed at you. It’s more a response to other’s suggesting giving Japan a miss because it isn’t like Europe. My apology if it was not clear and led to misunderstanding.

Quote:
Despite all my layers, boiling alive and flagging a bit through stamping through three feet of powder uphill to my left (I was thinking a hip replacement would be necessary...), I had no intention of stopping to strip off. The most important thing was to get Mrs MA off the mountain.

I fully appreciate your feeling. Still, the “rule” of rescue would suggest you as one of the rescuers, should take care of your own situation so as the avoid the possibility of becoming a victim in the process. Getting wet with sweat in a cold environment can potentially be dangerous. Moreover, if you were sweating profusely, others may also be the same too. It might have been safer for all to stop and strip some layers part way through?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
the “rule” of rescue would suggest you as one of the rescuers, should take care of your own situation so as the avoid the possibility of becoming a victim in the process.
Well, that's me told in no uncertain terms rolling eyes I've done a number of courses over the years but unfortunately never a mountain rescue one. Had it ever been offered I'd have jumped at the chance. As a result, I'm afraid I was blissfully unaware of The Rule of Rescue.

In case anything like this ever happens again, is it just the one rule Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
I've amended our flights. We now fly home tomorrow, instead of next Saturday.
The insurers have confirmed that they are to arrange wheelchair assistance and aircraft seating to ensure that Mrs MA's journey is as comfortable as possible. They were unable to confirm exactly what that will entail

Update: We got up at 04.00 this morning and arrived at Sapporo Airport at 06.00 for our 07.30 flight to Tokyo. As we'd heard nothing further from the insurers (despite me emailing them 3 times in the last 24 hrs to ask for updates) I rang them from the airport to check all was in order.

Incredibly, and to our absolute shock, I was informed that Lufthansa have refused to let Mrs MA fly without medical clearance. We had actually phoned them to check on this two days ago and were informed that a leg brace (as opposed to a plaster cast) would not be an issue. We checked because (ridiculously) the Sapporo hospital could not normally issue the required medical certificate for a period of 2-3 weeks. We begged and they said they would see what they could do to issue one within 7 days of our hospital visit (ie before our original flight departure date).

The key point is the insurers hadn't told us any of this, so allowed us to travel to the airport, an hour away by taxi, at 4.45am.

The upshot is we have missed our booked flights and are now stuck in a hotel (booked by the insurers) near the airport at Chitose. There's nothing much at all around us in terms of restaurants etc and the streets are so snow covered that Mrs MA can't go out. It's too dangerous.

We've heard nothing from the insurers for 8 or 9 hours, despite them telling us we are a priority and that they had been working through the night (UK time) to try and sort our case. Regardless, we feel trapped and are in total despair.

Calls on my mobile cost over £2 a minute to make and receive. I think I'm up to about £50 so far in calls to the insurers.

Despairing Snowhead of Chitose
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@abc, yes I often refer to one specific resort as being akin to what Americans via Walt Disney would dream up, St Veran, but that has nothing to do with terrain Laughing

Your comment was damn right stupid, just that some people do rank safety / medi-evac and the like, hence reading the small print of the insurance to see if they are actually covered for off-piste with or without a guide (only have to see the number of questions on here) far above anything else and would not consider Japan if there was a question.

You can ski anywhere, here in France at least, safe in the knowledge, that there is a structured rescue system in place, that will get you off the mountain in that well know Disney resort, La Grave; through to what these four young Brits were doing Laughing

https://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers-justice/2023/02/11/quatre-jeunes-anglais-egares-au-sommet-du-mont-veyrier
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Seriously, though - how can anyone plan for the nightmare scenario described above?

That's what I was wondering. I feel sure there was adequate insurance in place (any inefficiencies on the part of the insurers aside) and it looks to me that the major mistake was on the part of the guide, on whom the OP was reasonably relying, namely the time lost in trying to enlist the help of the wrong rescue service.
I so hope that this nightmare is resolved soon and that a comfortable homeward journey is imminent. Sending heartfelt wishes for that and for a swift recovery.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mountainaddict, missed your last post - truly sounds a nightmare, really feel for you and Mrs MA.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, I gather taxis in Chitosi are rather hard to find but try taking a taxi to Ramai restaurant. They do excellent curry soups. I gather there are also a lot of good sushi places in downtown Chitosi, but we never tried any.

All I can say is to relax as much as you can. Being in dispair may not actually be helping. I realise that no one uses it these days but when working abroad with very high phone charges I found Skype would give good connetions to landlines in the UK at a fraction of the cost. Could the insurers not set up a whatsapp chanel for you? And of course invoice the insurers for phone calls as part of the claim. BTW what hotel are you in? There landline costs may be less than mobile charges. On landing at Toyko my friend discovered he had incured £9 of phone charges on his phone before we advised him to switch data roaming off.

So so far we know to avoid MPI insurance and Lufthansa. All useful information.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mountainaddict,

If you have data or WIFI could you make the call using WhatsApp or Skype?
snow report
@mountainaddict, really hope for a quick and easy resolution of this sad situation.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 13-02-23 10:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@johnE, I would not rush blaming the air carrier - imagine anyone just popping with a brace and asks to be put in business. If the insurer did not obtain clearance then it is the insurer fault.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, re restaurants do ask your hotel staff for help. Some eateries are not very visible/identifiable from outside.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
So if they can do it in La Grave, and those that have skied there know there's not exactly a massive pisteur presence, and yet some well know Japanese resort that probably has far more resources can't get to a skier that's going through a gate to I suggest far more mellow terrain than LG, then I still find that a tad frail !

Mike Pow would have a much better idea, but from what I remember nearly all of Kokusai is either classed as outside the ski area or marked out of bounds. Kiroro was a bit more open in terms of where you can play about.

In fact looking at this map it's even more restricted than I remember, because I know we messed about in the stupidly gentle stuff off the edge of the green run. https://www.sapporo-kokusai.jp/en/slopes/

Really shitty story so far @mountainaddict, I hope a decent solution presents itself soon. Appreciate it isn't the time for it, and may depend on the deal which was done, but I'd be asking some questions of the guide once you're settled back at home
snow report
IME the interface between airlines and insurers is poor to non existent. My Mother was taxied between all three Milanese airports before an airline was found to take her (#hip), having been booked onto flights from all of them by her insurers for the airline to refuse boarding.

Ryanair require you to book certain seats if you request assistance, then told me I should have booked different seats.... rolling eyes
ski holidays
We went to Japan a few years ago for our honeymoon and our knowledge and experience was similar to MA's and his wife's. Many years in the alps, quite a bit of touring etc. We were on a guided trip and assumed everything was in hand. We were lucky and had a hugely knowledgeable Alaskan guide who'd done many seasons in Japan (along with a local Japanese chap). Basically, once we were out the gate he was working on the basis we were on our own and any help coming would take a long time. Even simple stuff like a lost ski late in the afternoon can have serious consequences so we were very grateful that we a) got lucky with a guide and b) didn't get injured. Next time around I'd do a lot more due diligence before booking as it's not the same as the alps, that's for sure.

Hope all works out well and you get home soon @mountainaddict
snow report
This thread certainly doesn't make for great reading in all sorts of ways.

But thanks for posting and continuing to post @mountainaddict, it's been really informative.
latest report
@mountainaddict, sorry to read all this, hope your insurers/Lufthansa get it sorted today. If I can do anything to help from the UK then please drop me a PM.
snow report
It's a devastating read, let's hope the issues are resolved quickly.

This post must be a serious read for those planning to go off piste in Japan. Maybe make it a sticky?@mountainaddict has gone to a lot of trouble highlighting problems that may affect others. Could be worth preserving as a reference?
latest report
The whole rescue situation does sound bad, I agree with others here, if you're with a local guide, with appropriate insurance, and touring nearish to a resort (i.e. not somewhere mega remote) then the mechanics of how a potential rescue operation would work aren't something that you should have to concern yourself with, indeed when I skied in Japan recently I didn't think to worry about how I would be rescued were something to go wrong while skiing with a guide outside of resort boundaries.

@mountainaddict, I hope that you both get home soon
ski holidays
Quote:

the mechanics of how a potential rescue operation would work aren't something that you should have to concern yourself with

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. For example when driving in Africa or sailing in Fiji I was acutely aware that a well equipped ambulance or life boat was unlikely to show up any time soon, or any time at all. A friend and colleague of mine died at the roadside after an RTA in Sudan - from injuries which would not have proved fatal in Surrey. And if hill walking in Scotland, say, I was to sustain something like a hairline fracture in a slip, not a serious injury but one which would stop me walking to safety, I would expect to have to wait some hours for rescue. We have threads about skiing in Argentina, or Georgia, or camping in Botswana, or holidaying in Fiji. It would not be reasonable to expect there to be a helicopter at hand to fly immediately to the rescue of some foreign tourist and a mountain rescue team which can be scrambled and directed to a casualty within a few hours isn't really an unreasonable outcome, in the scheme of things, though acutely uncomfortable and distressing for those involved.

I'd be wary of leaping to judgement on the insurance company too. The picture isn't clear, or straightforward and it's easy for decisions and arrangements to "fall between two stools", especially when communication is difficult. When my OH had to fly home from La Plagne to deal with a crisis at home, paid for by insurance, the insurance company were adamant that we must NOT make any arrangements ourselves. It would have been far cheaper for them, actually, if we had made the arrangement - they paid for him to get a taxi from Gatwick Airport to home, for example, whereas left to himself he'd have jumped on one of the frequent trains!
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
Your comment was damn right stupid, just that some people do rank safety / medi-evac and the like, hence reading the small print of the insurance to see if they are actually covered for off-piste with or without a guide (only have to see the number of questions on here) far above anything else and would not consider Japan if there was a question.

You can ski anywhere, here in France at least, safe in the knowledge, that there is a structured rescue system in place, that will get you off the mountain in that well know Disney resort, La Grave; through to what these four young Brits were doing Laughing

There’s a structured rescue system in Japan too. It’s just different from France.

Mind you, the “system” in North America isn’t the same as in France either. So better give North America a miss too, rolling eyes
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
the “rule” of rescue would suggest you as one of the rescuers, should take care of your own situation so as the avoid the possibility of becoming a victim in the process.
Well, that's me told in no uncertain terms rolling eyes I've done a number of courses over the years but unfortunately never a mountain rescue one. Had it ever been offered I'd have jumped at the chance. As a result, I'm afraid I was blissfully unaware of The Rule of Rescue.

In case anything like this ever happens again, is it just the one rule Puzzled

Not specific to mountain rescue, though it’s my understanding that’s true for all manner of rescues in the wilderness, based on interaction with others having experience in mountain rescues.

My training has more to do on water related rescues (and some wilderness first aid). There had been too many incidents of rescuers jumping into water to aid a drowning victim, only to become additional victims themselves. So rule number 1 of rescue in those scenario is “Don’t become a victim yourself”.

I had observed a similar rule in avalanche rescue is make sure there’re no risk of additional avalanche onto the rescuers.

When the rescue is off the well travel grid, the well being of the rescuers need to be monitored, even if just by themselves.

Sorry to hear about your nightmare with the airlines and insurances. Hope it gets settled soon.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, I did put three qualifiers in front of my statement which you completely ignored, the additional qualifier should be that you are in a 1st world country which Japan very much is
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
It's a devastating read, let's hope the issues are resolved quickly.

This post must be a serious read for those planning to go off piste in Japan. Maybe make it a sticky?@mountainaddict has gone to a lot of trouble highlighting problems that may affect others. Could be worth preserving as a reference?

Actually, the OP and his party were quite proactive in helping themselves in speeding up getting off the mountain. And the mountain rescue did show up eventually to facilitate the rescue. They were safe and healthy no worse than had the incident happened in France, albeit less speedy and comfortable.

The flight home part however, would apply to even on-piste skiing in resort.
ski holidays
I think there are several elements:

#1 What emergency services are available and what are their capabilities

#2 What is your guide responsible for

#3 What the insurance covers, what are their procedures

#4 The medical procedures of the country in question

And of course we have a UK, Europe and Alps slanted view of the world.

Personally I was brought up with loose parenting and in an era, 70's mostly, when kids played on building sites and teenagers hitch hiked and back packed. And consequently I heard a few horror stories, understood what street wise meant and in general didn't expect too much help/response when I got in the shit. I am also quite cynical and sceptical (more so as I've got older) but also have people be incredibly helpful and trustworthy on many occasions. All of which is to say in far away places I sort of expect the worst with #1 and if it turns out better jolly good. #2, guides I don't totally trust - partly through experience, partly through what I've read. The more you know them (recommendations) and the more you get to know them, the better. Really good idea to ask what if question - even if you think they are dumb. #3 Insurance co's I don't trust whatsoever - I've never claimed on holiday insurance but would always expect the worst. #4 - I would be hopeful, lets face it in the UK things are a bit iffy right now.
latest report
I think a lot of insurance companies are quite good with big problems, less so with small ones. Once this casualty was off the mountain, medically treated and confirmed with painful but minor injury, repatriation was a routine operation, not an emergency.
snow conditions
Once again, thanks for all your messages of support and concern. It's all been greatly appreciated Smile

Some very good points have been raised and highlighted. If my post and our experience have helped people to consider and evaluate the issues and potential risks associated with skiing in Japan, then that can only be a good thing.

The insurers said they cannot use WhatsApp for calls (amazing in this day and age) and I hadn't considered Skype, which I have never used.

Anyway, the Chitose emotional roller coaster ride continues. We're not really ones for getting too stressed over travel stuff - we take the view that s*** happens if you travel a lot - but feeling stranded at the other side of the world does take things up a notch or two. Hence this post at 04.15 local time - I've been checking emails for updates through the night.

We heard nothing all day yesterday except an email to ask for passport numbers, so went to bed not knowing if we were to check out of our Chitose hotel (Queen's Hotel) in the morning. Last thing, I emailed the insurers to ask for an urgent update.

We had an email from them at about 02.00 this morning, which I have responded to at length as I have a number of queries. In summary:

1. Hoorah! We may now be good to go (but see 2 below) on Wed 15th Feb at 18.00 via Tokyo and Istanbul to Manchester. The flight time means another day to fill.
2. A fit to fly certificate will be needed. However, there is no mention of how that can be obtained. I have asked the question.
3. Mrs MA will be in business class. I won't. Not sure if that's usual procedure but, again, I have asked the question and stated that she will need support, particularly during the (approx) 12 hour leg of the journey.

I have explored the neighbourhood of the hotel. I haven't found any restaurants that I like the look of. Each to their own I know, but we have found eight days of Japanese food quite tough going, though we have enjoyed some curries, noodle dishes, teriyaki stuff etc. There's a seafood restaurant in the hotel but we're not seafood lovers. Having said that, the menu photos take things to another level - plates of huge, suckered tentacles that would not be out of place on Dr Who are the order of the day.

Being 10 mins from the airport may well be a lifesaver. We can get a taxi there and back today. There are wheelchairs and accessible toilets and a big selection of coffee shops, shops and restaurants there. We can definitely put in a few hours on a visit. The first time I've ever looked forward to going shopping! I'll be off to IKEA next! Laughing

One final point from the 2 or 3 hours we put in at Chitose Airport yesterday (while the insurers sorted us a hotel). Mrs MA was trundling herself along in a wheelchair, while I pushed the luggage trolley. The number of people who were absolutely ignorant and inconsiderate towards a wheelchair user was just incredible. Cutting in front of her, blocking narrow routes, and then just looking at her as she came to a stop because she couldn't pass. Then there was the person who was just dying to jump in front of her as she was first to enter a lift. I stood across him with the luggage trolley (ski bag and all) and am pleased to say he didn't get in the lift as Mrs MA and I filled it between us. It was a real eye opener and quite a sobering experience that will make me think differently in future

Watch this space. I hope we are getting there...We have everything crossed that there won't be too many more challenges to come.
ski holidays
Sorry to hear about thoughtless treatment of a wheel chair user. But not surprised. Daughter did a project on access at her 6th form college as part of CDT A level. She started by borrowing a wheelchair and spending several days in college in it. It was an eye opener, and shocking.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:

One final point from the 2 or 3 hours we put in at Chitose Airport yesterday (while the insurers sorted us a hotel). Mrs MA was trundling herself along in a wheelchair, while I pushed the luggage trolley. The number of people who were absolutely ignorant and inconsiderate towards a wheelchair user was just incredible. Cutting in front of her, blocking narrow routes, and then just looking at her as she came to a stop because she couldn't pass. Then there was the person who was just dying to jump in front of her as she was first to enter a lift. I stood across him with the luggage trolley (ski bag and all) and am pleased to say he didn't get in the lift as Mrs MA and I filled it between us. It was a real eye opener and quite a sobering experience that will make me think differently in future

Sadly, that’s true of many Asian countries, even those that are otherwise perfectly civilized by western standard.

I grew up on that side of the world. But after living in the west for many years, I sometimes got “caught out” when return to visit. I’ve had doors slammed at my face while my hands full of luggage, too many times to count! I’m only talking about being a normal healthy adults. And for cultures that were supposed to respect elders, elderly people routinely got the dirty look (or worse) because they move slowly. I can go on…

Quote:
A fit to fly certificate will be needed. However, there is no mention of how that can be obtained. I have asked the question.

Would the hospital provide a written statement that the F2F certificate would take 2 weeks regardless whether the patient is fit to fly or not at the moment? Just an out of the box approaching to hopefully speed up the process.
ski holidays
I've not been to Japan but everyone I know who has, including both my sons (working visits, not holidays) enjoyed their time but stressed what a VERY different culture it was.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, have you tried the local convenience store for food? (7-Eleven, FamilyMart, Lawson, etc. I'm not sure which ones would be where you are, if any.) They usually have a reasonable selection of ready meals that can be heated up in a microwave and hotels in Japan generally gave a microwave available for guest use.
latest report
Quote:
Would the hospital provide a written statement that the F2F certificate would take 2 weeks regardless whether the patient is fit to fly or not at the moment?
The hospital gave us a copy of the completed form, which was in English. The timescale is clearly stated on there. You had to tick a box for two weeks or three weeks.

Quote:
They usually have a reasonable selection of ready meals that can be heated up in a microwave and hotels in Japan generally have a microwave available for guest use.
I mentioned that we have a 7/11 within 5 mins. I can ask about the hotel microwave. Thanks.
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
I have explored the neighbourhood of the hotel. I haven't found any restaurants that I like the look of. Each to their own I know, but we have found eight days of Japanese food quite tough going, though we have enjoyed some curries, noodle dishes, teriyaki stuff etc. There's a seafood restaurant in the hotel but we're not seafood lovers.

I can’t help but wonder what you thought you were going to find to eat on a trip to *checks notes* Japan.
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Would the hospital provide a written statement that the F2F certificate would take 2 weeks regardless whether the patient is fit to fly or not at the moment?
The hospital gave us a copy of the completed form, which was in English. The timescale is clearly stated on there. You had to tick a box for two weeks or three weeks.

Wow!

Well, at least sent that off to the insurance company! Let them sort it out then.

What a hassle you’re dealing with. Best wishes for getting them all cleared up and speedy recovery later.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 13-02-23 23:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy