Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido Trip Report (Inc. Injury & Rescue Issues) - Feb 2023

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Layne, I think it's more that the rescue services took ages to arrive, not helped by a guide initially contacting pisteurs rather than mountain rescue. Mountain rescue were the contact because the party was not withing bounds, ie they had gone through a gate.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mountainaddict i am sorry for what you guys are going through just now but thankyou for sharing it as planning a japow trip next season.

Have you tried WiFi calling for communication, we regular use this offshore through satellite on-board wifi to call landlines, better than whatsapp etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
I think it's more that the rescue services took ages to arrive, not helped by a guide initially contacting pisteurs rather than mountain rescue
Confusion abounded at the time...We found out later that the guide's understanding was that we would be rescued (albeit on a chargeable basis) by the pisteurs. The ski patrol appeared to initially confirm that that would be the case - but then apparently completely backtracked and said it would be a mountain rescue job. Over an hour was wasted as a result.

Re. WiFi calls: We only found out about this possibility a bit later on, from a tech-savvy 20-something in our group. However, when I looked into it via EE (my phone provider) it appeared that there would still be hefty charges associated with WiFi calls... Confused Not sure if that's correct...

Since we arrived home, Mrs MA has been under the excellent care of the local NHS. After an X-ray and CT scan, she had an op to put three screws into the break - which (unfortunately) was worse than the 'small break' stated in Japan. There were a few bits that needed to be put back together.

It all went very well apparently. We've got everything crossed and Mrs MA remains positive - though she is still completely immobile at present.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mountainaddict, I'm glad Mrs. MA has been successfully treated. The whole saga sounded very stressful to me. I hope she gets well soon and returns to skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @johnE
Quote:
The whole saga sounded very stressful to me
And it's continued with getting sorted after arriving back in the UK Confused Mrs MA ended up staying in hospital for 3 nights after her op. Now home and sleeping on a spare bed in the dining room, as stairs are out of the question.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle wrote:
@abc, I think the guide did actually make a mistake in this instance, by approaching the wrong ski patrol. Whether any actual damage (in the negligence sense) was caused by him barking up the wrong tree, and the delay thereby incurred, is a matter for speculation. It may have been unfortunate, but without affecting the outcome.

My impression from @Mike Pow's post here is that the guide did the right thing in contacting ski patrol who then contact mountain rescue. I could well be wrong though. It would be interesting to know the correct protocol.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@abc, I think the guide did actually make a mistake in this instance, by approaching the wrong ski patrol. Whether any actual damage (in the negligence sense) was caused by him barking up the wrong tree, and the delay thereby incurred, is a matter for speculation. It may have been unfortunate, but without affecting the outcome.

My impression from @Mike Pow's post here is that the guide did the right thing in contacting ski patrol who then contact mountain rescue. I could well be wrong though. It would be interesting to know the correct protocol.

That's always been my understanding

Public - ski patrol (if near a resort) - mountain rescue

Mountain rescue will then advise on whether they're coming, or whether ski patrol performs the 'rescue'

I always assume it's going to be mountain rescue and it's always going to be a long time

I always plan for the group to self-rescue unless it's a dire situation
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One thing which hasn't been mentioned is guided groups accessing backcountry gates from resorts from the get go

I'm fit; ski fit; an efficient, professionally trained ski instructor who would never take my students straight to the top of the lift system and out of the gates for their first run of the day (for some it's their first run of the season after over 24hrs of international travel)

Frankly, I'm surprised there aren't more lost skis, tweaked knees, and 'watch out for the trees'
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict wrote:
Thanks @johnE
Quote:
The whole saga sounded very stressful to me
And it's continued with getting sorted after arriving back in the UK Confused Mrs MA ended up staying in hospital for 3 nights after her op. Now home and sleeping on a spare bed in the dining room, as stairs are out of the question.

Depending on your stairs can she go up and down on her bum? She would need a stepstool or similar at the top to then sit on and rise on one leg from there, or you you support her. I round it pretty easy after a few goes but there was also a handrail on the landing to hold onto while rising There is also a technique for going upstairs using the handrail and 1 crutch, holding the other but my stairs had an awkward curve so I did the bum thing for 3 months. A cross body bag is useful for carrying things around, also a small stool at the sink for ablutions and in the shower, if the shower is over the bath then a bath board. Get suction handles fir the bath/shower. Argos/amazon will be your friend here.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When I cracked my kneecap in a few places 13 or 14 years ago I was in a brace to keep my leg straight and locked for seven weeks and we were living on the top floor of a large country house at the time. No lift. So after doing the bum thing for a bit I was able to go one leg at a time with good leg first, injured one following. It was then I discovered that there were a total of 53 steps. Good luck to MrsMA.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers both Smile

Mrs MA was doing the stairs on her backside thing before her op but, since then, hasn't been able to move much at all due to the pain she's been in. However, one week in, it's improving daily and we're hoping to resume with the stairs in the not too distant future. It was the hospital that suggested the downstairs sleeping, which has been very beneficial. They also supplied a 'perching stool,' which has been a boon for downstairs washing. We're also hoping to get her out in a wheelchair before long.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mountainaddict, that's good..apart from the pain. I'm not understating the injury but after I smashed my tibial plateau and had the plate and 8 screws I had no pain at all...does she have good drugs?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
does she have good drugs?
She has now - but the initial issue was an adverse reaction to morphine and the need to find an alternative solution.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, ah...not so good but glad its sorted
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy