Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Accommodation recommendations - Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Just back from our group trip week in the 3V. Whilst me and the OH have done Austria, the rest of our group hasn't and I'd like to show them what they are missing!

We would like to visit either Ischgl or St Anton/Lech for the 23/24 season trip!

Ideally we are looking for an apartment/house that can sleep 8. We prefer this type of set up so we have our own private social space rather than separate hotel rooms and having to meet down at the bar. Can anyone recommend anywhere? I know these tend to be harder to find in Austria than in France/Switerzland as it tends to be hotels/pensions so I thought I'd pick the collective Snowhead brain!

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve successfully used local tourist information offices which often have a facility where you specify the style and size and location and they send you a list of properties, and also successfully used www.tiscover.com
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You might also try Booking.com. I was told that many Accom providers have moved to that platform because the tourist office was not delivering.

I am old to remember the glossy magazine put out each year by the tourist office listing all the properties… Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How many bedrooms - something that will sleep 8, does not necessarily give you enough social space. Nothing worse than being the person with a sofa bed in a communal space when you want to sleep! I always find google maps helpful. Both overhead & street view.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The other thing to remember with Austria is are the 8 people couples/really good friends or just aquantences/strangers? The infamous Austrian twin bed might not work for the latter 2.

I can't speak for all Austran resorts but specific to Ischgl that's not the sort of size of accommodation you find, it's a much more French thing. What you can find though are small apartment blocks where you can get 2 smaller flats.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have booked an apartment for eight several times in Kappl for skiing Ischgl. We used the tourist office website. Also did Samnaun one year which accesses the same area.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar wrote:
We have booked an apartment for eight several times in Kappl for skiing Ischgl. We used the tourist office website. Also did Samnaun one year which accesses the same area.

...weather permitting.

Always been a little concerned going over the top on a windyish day... it's a long way back
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's plenty of skiing on each side of the Viderjoch/Idjocj/Greitspitze ridge that you don't need to cross it if the weather looks like a risk - and they are usually quite on the ball, not opening the lifts in the morning if they believe they will need to close them before the day's out.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
buchanan101 wrote:
T Bar wrote:

...weather permitting.

Always been a little concerned going over the top on a windyish day... it's a long way back

Not sure how common it is. We actually went to Samnaun the first time and Kappl the rest but used Samnaun for ski school for the children as we got on very well with one of the instructors there. Used to ferry the kids over to Samnaun every week for about 6 visits
Any ski area can be shut down/ severely limited because of weather but I have been more restricted on visits to Val D'Isere and the dolomites than I have in the Paznaun.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Link to apartments in Ischgl which might suit.

https://www.kirchwirt-ischgl.at/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Traditionally the best place to book accommodation in Austria is through the local tourist office (I believe all "tourist" related businesses in an area have to register as such and part of that is allowing the TO to offer out the accommodation). I know AirBnB has not been popular with owners in the big resorts due to their high fees, maybe some of the younger owners would prefer another service rather than the local Tourist Office and the inevitable tie up with local politics. Ischgl seems much more hotel orientated, less apartments (there are not so many restaurants for eating out either, the Pizzeria always gets booked up quickly!). St Anton does have a good number of apartments so you might be better off looking there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

I used the resort site when I booked our accomdation in Mayrhofen, and have looked on Ischgls but struggling to find somewhere with 4 bedrooms and a social space for us.

Thanks for the links @Corky and @JHS, will have a look at those.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Apartments that big are not that common in France, either. Here's one. https://www.gites-de-france-savoie.com/Hebergements/gite/le-gite-de-bisanne-73G317117.html

I've rented it in the past and am renting it again, along with another big gite in the same building, the first week in April.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I cant help help with Ischgl/St Anton but if you fancy Zell am See there are plenty of apartments and chalets that could accomodate you all, including the one below that i stare longingly at from my balcony.

https://www.bearandbison-zellamsee.com/thehouse

There are plenty of others at more reasonable rates
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks gorgeous - and affordable, at least in the "cheap week" between 8 reasonably well off, cost-sharing, adults! And how much nicer would that be than a hotel!
latest report
St Anton accommodation is bookable online and the town website is usually up to date with what's available, you can specify how many people/how many units you want so if you want a single big apartment for 8 people it will find you something.

This is the accomodation website:
https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/accommodation/accommodations

From my experience most of the central locations only accommodate up to 6 people (3-bed apartments), anything bigger will usually be either at the Nasserein end of town or at the opposite end of town up the hill towards Moos.

A few examples of 4bed/8 person apartments are:

https://hotelanton.at/en/hotel/anton-10/
https://www.sonneneck.at/en/apartments-st-anton-am-arlberg.html
https://www.moose-lodge.com/en/apartments
https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/accommodation/accommodations/STA/5cb1520a-7441-4b2c-8409-5916da052b60/appartements-arlhome---waldheim
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy