Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomite experts

Poster: A snowHead
We are a group of 8 (mixed abilities of intermediates to good skiers) staying in Selva in early March and skiing for six days.

I have been tasked as the the guide, so looking for daily Itinerary suggestions, which would involve a decent lunch stop at a table service restaurant.

Ideas would be welcome !!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Miara above Canazei. Spectacular pasta and pizza
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
throw a dart at the map....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@hobbiteater, I know to many options !!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The table service restaurant at the top of the Boe bubble from Corvara is nice.

Self service also nice
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Selva di cadore or or selva val gardina (Wolkenstein)?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Google the hidden valley.
Stop if at scotoni hutte for lunch. Don’t tell your friends about the surprise at the bottom.
Bring cash.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You will have to book if you want to try Scotoni's.
Not an expert on eateries, but can advise on routes for days out and places to consider.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@MaxiD, Hidden valley good option, and will book Scontinis, yes will keep the horse tow as a surprise.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Thunderer21, Baita Pauli towards the bottom of the La Longia red run from Seceda down to Ortisei. https://www.suedtirol.info/en/experience/baita-pauli_activity_70650

As well as the main building there's a small circular hut with a central fireplace you sit around, and they bring the food to you in the hut. It can comfortably accommodate your group of 8 people but reservation of the hut is essential.

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Thunderer21, I know you’ve said ‘mixed abilities of intermediates to good skiers’ which certainly helps.

Any more info about group’s skiing preferences? How far would they ski in a typical day? Or how many hours? Skiing hard, or more relaxed, with a few drink stops?

Just that there are some long day trips potentially, to some great locations.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Thunderer21, Baita Pauli towards the bottom of the La Longia red run from Seceda down to Ortisei. https://www.suedtirol.info/en/experience/baita-pauli_activity_70650

As well as the main building there's a small circular hut with a central fireplace you sit around, and they bring the food to you in the hut. It can comfortably accommodate your group of 8 people but reservation of the hut is essential.

Agree its great but two notes
One, if you don't want barbeque meat then choice is limited
Two by March if good weather then I think the hut is likely too warm and smokey. It was a great discovery on a cold grey early Feb day, but I would be hoping not to have those conditions in March.

Speaking of which, I will be back to Colfosco in late March Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Thunderer21, I am just back from a 3 day trip to Selva myself.
We had our half day skiing locally. Then did Sella Ronda green, with a couple of hours exploring Corvara and La Villa. On our third day we did the Gardena Ronda- which you only require the local pass for (so if you swapped the order and did day 1 and day 3 together you might save money on the lift pass).

This schedule gave us loads of varied skiing and we got to explore a huge area.

The Sella Gardena does involve a bit of walking through Ortisei and an extraordinary bus journey at the far side of Seisa Alm, but makes for a great day overall, covering a number of iconic runs, including the Saslong WC run and La Longia, a 11.5km descent, which has been discussed recently on the Dolomites weather thread elsewhere on this site.

As for lunches, the advice I was given on this forum was that you would struggle to find a bad hutte and so it proved, so I would just eat, wherever you are when you feel hungry!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For stunning views I always think of
Jimmy's on the way from Colfosco to Selva. Coming from Selva you need to ski down below it and get gondola back up, not sure how well it would fit in a day itinerary from Selva though.
Col Pradat above Colfosco. Same point about challenge with making it a lunch stop on a trip from Selva.

Journey out to Santa Croce via La Villa would be a good suggestion.
Many rate the small baita towards top of la longia if you have skied seceda. Cannot recall the name, have only had drinks there myself.

I dare say Marmolada is a bit of a faff from Selva as you will get stuck in queues to get over their once at Arabba and then again for the three stage cable car. Depending on how keen you are you could consider an early taxi shared among the group to get a head start eg to campolongo or even Arabba itself

There are many other possibilities of course.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
La longia - Coruna (@SteveM) at the top and Costorama near the bottom
Alta Badia - Bambi, La Utia, Incisa, i Tabla and La Baita (avoid cherz)
Val d'Fassa - Rifugio Friedrich August
latest report
You really can't go wrong with baitas. Some, however, don't have table service but are more cafeteria style, and some are best for drinks or have not so great table service.

I think you can get around to just about any spot with intermediates save Il Muline on the Saslong B (but wow is that amazing food, but pricy) https://www.muline.it/en/content/7-position

A good spot for an expedition would be Chalet Belvedere at the top of the Belvedere area. You could start at Selva (or Plan Gralba) and work your way around to it in 2 hours or so. Decent food, not too expensive.

A fun day out is the Alpe di Siusi/Seiser Alm. I like Baita Saltner about midway on the plateau. Off the beaten track a bit, out of the wind, very good food.
snow report
Thunderer21 wrote:
We are a group of 8 (mixed abilities of intermediates to good skiers) staying in Selva in early March and skiing for six days.

I have been tasked as the the guide, so looking for daily Itinerary suggestions, which would involve a decent lunch stop at a table service restaurant.

Ideas would be welcome !!

The only poor meal I have ever had was at the Ciampai Hutte in Alta Badia (it’s at the bottom of where three chairlifts start - Ciampai, Biok and La Brancia)

They have big outdoor BBQ’s grilling whole chickens etc so the smell is amazing when you go past …

But it was overpriced and did not taste as good as it smelled.

Everywhere else has been excellent !
ski holidays
hobbiteater wrote:

Val d'Fassa - Rifugio Friedrich August

Beware the giant bull! Laughing

snow report
Best pizzas on the Sella Ronda are at Baita Fredarola, just as you drop from top of Belvedere twd Arabba.
ski holidays
the run down to Ortisei from Seceda is our favourite, take the 'train' through the hill from Val Gardena, ca 10km long. frozen waterfall, great views, not busy
snow report
In our 5 trips there we haven't eaten anywhere that I wouldn't happily go back too.

Dessert highlights would be Piz Seuter for Tiramisu, Rifugio Salei for Kaiserschmarrn and basically any of the cakes in Almhotel Col Raiser

Itinerary wise what others have said I also really enjoyed the Val Di Fassa area from the Ciampac Gondola over to Pozza di Fassa and back (although the bottom of the runs into Pozza is a bit flat).
snow report
Thunderer21 wrote:
…staying in Selva … looking for daily Itinerary suggestions, which would involve a decent lunch stop at a table service restaurant. Ideas would be welcome !!

I thoroughly recommend the Val Gardena Ronda. It’s a bit of an adventure and has been discussed already on other similar threads this season.

I think the skiing is better anti-clockwise which takes in the 10km red La Longia to Ortisei. It does mean you’ve got to keep an eye on timing so as not to miss the last bus along the snowy forest track from Saltria to Monte Pana. (Cash only. Not included in lift pass.)

If doing that circuit, I recommend Gostner Schwaige for lunch.
Gostner Schwaige
+39 347 836 8154
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nZbFcAFJMAdvToZM7?g_st=ic
snow report
Saltria - Monte Pana bus timetable is here: https://www.valgardena.it/dl/skibus/2022_23/Monte_Pana_Saltria.pdf

Val Gardena Ronda map:

snow report
A few more lunch recommendations on the mountain:

* Baita Saslonch Hutte just below Ciampinoi, Selva. Great food, craft beer, sunny terrace. https://maps.app.goo.gl/zGAeV54fFQcQUhUT7?g_st=ic.

* Rifugio Emilio Comici, top of Comici chair. Outdoor cafeteria is affordable and has a spectacular view of the Sella Massif. Indoor fine dining for those with deep pockets. Fancy loos! https://maps.app.goo.gl/wWbwWHWgMZDsEuMx5?g_st=ic

* Fermeda Hutte in the Seceda/Col Raiser area above Santa Cristina - fabulous wood-fired pizzas - choice of sunny terrace or Tyrolean farmhouse-style “stube” inside. https://maps.app.goo.gl/ushJK5HJVV83i1rx9?g_st=ic

* Gostner Schwaïge in Alpe di Siusi for fantastic traditional local cuisine (share the kaiserschmarrn for dessert) https://maps.app.goo.gl/nZbFcAFJMAdvToZM7?g_st=ic

* Rifugio Scoiattoli in the Cinque Torri/Super8 area - stunning view. https://maps.app.goo.gl/dYNRHRTTD2yfJJMp6?g_st=ic

* Cesa da Fuoch, Porta Vescovo cable-car middle station, next to the Sas della Vegla chairlift - great self-service dishes cooked in front of you, modern dining room with wood burner to dry off. Separate restaurant for table service. https://maps.app.goo.gl/cSNEm7ccj4sNvpQ5A?g_st=ic
snow conditions
@Scrunch77, you sound like a true expert!
snow conditions
I have said before that I have never found a bad 'Hutte' in the Dolomites - I would only add ; I have never found a bad Toilet !!
snow report
Quote:

; I have never found a bad Toilet !!

Rifugio Padon
snow conditions
hobbiteater wrote:
Quote:

Rifugio Padon

But the delicious Kaiserschmarren pancakes and that view might just about make up for it!! Laughing

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hobbiteater wrote:
Quote:

Rifugio Padon

AHH -- one I have never been in !! Wink
ski holidays
Everyone here's made some amazing suggestions. Got a few favourites to add myself but everyone's right, you'll struggle to find a bad one!

(In no order, all spelt as they are on Google maps so hopefully easy to find)
- Ütia Crëp de Munt, Nr Corvara (Best Bombardinos & Calimeros in the Dolomites, if you don't know what they are just order one and enjoy!)
- Rifugio Alpino Pralongià, Nr Corvara
- Rifugio Ütia de Bioch, Nr Corvara
- i Tablà, Nr Corvara
- Scotoni Hütte, The Hidden Valley (I know it's already been mentioned but if you're going there from Selva, it is definitely worth it!)
- Rifugio Lagazuoi, Top of the Hidden Valley (An alternative if you forget to book Scotoni Hutte and also has great views of most of the Dolomites)
- Rifugio Scoiattoli, Cinque Torre (Maybe a little far from Selva but a worthy mention)
- Edelweiß Hütte, Nr Colfosco (Great sausage, potatoes and sauerkraut around)
- Hotel Luianta, Nr Colfosco (Good pizza)
- Ütia Lé Rifugio Lee, Nr Badia
- Baita Gamsblut Hütte, Nr Selva
- Baita Ciadinat, Nr Plan De Gralba (Probably the most authentic on the list, a definite favourite of mine)
- Rifugio Friedrich August, Nr Passo Sella (Fantastic trio of dumplings)
- El Zedron, Nr Pozza di Fassa (might not be table service but it's small and worth it for the views)
- Ristoro Pescoi, Nr Arabba (Not the obvious fancy glass one on the left, but the one on the right as you ski)
- Rifugio Fodom, Nr Passo Pordoi (Great pizza)
- Rifugio Sass Becé, Nr Passo Pordoi

I will finish with saying this is 4 year old knowledge but hopefully they're all still as amazing as they used to be!
latest report
someblokecalledjack wrote:

- Rifugio Lagazuoi, Top of the Hidden Valley (An alternative if you forget to book Scotoni Hutte and also has great views of most of the Dolomites)

Worth climbing the stairs from the cablecar station, even if it's just coffee time, for the views from the terrace.

snow conditions
I’m sure we could add to this from experience on S19BB?

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=159860#5087782

I like some of the options above Pozza di Fassa, including this one.

https://www.rifugiobaitacuz.com/

There are a couple of smaller old wooden building options a little lower down the same piste.
snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy