Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 1800 self catering

Poster: A snowHead
We're heading to 1800 the first week of April.

I had planned to park in Bourg-St-M and get the funicular/bus up to avoid potential snow and ice conditions on the road. But it's just occurred to me that I could be stitching myself up when it comes to shopping for self-catering.

What are the shopping options in 1800 itself like?

First time driving to the Alps, and a last minute booking so we don't have chains or socks yet, and my tyres are brand new but I need to check if they are all weather ones (only bought the car two weeks ago). Hence the thinking of parking in B-st-M.

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, obviously there's no guarantee conditions will be the same......but we drove to Tignes at exactly the same time last year. Roads were bone dry, no ice or snow. Definitely no snow chains needed - we actually didn't have any as I'd changed car just before we went like you (have them now for Feb half term) but I did have Michelin Cross Climate all season tyres fitted so wasn't worried. French rules stated that chains not necessary from 1 April onwards (think that's still the same).

I know Bourg well and it's a small walk from the funicular to the supermarkets (about 10 mins) which would be quite awkward if carrying heavy shopping bags plus walk to funicular plus transfer from 1600 to 1800. Knowing Bourg and Les Arcs, I wouldn't do it!

Food shopping in resort is much more expensive, but I've bitten that bullet before and done it. Given the choice I'd rather do a supermarket shop (there's a Super U and Intermarche in Bourg - I prefer the Super U). Then top up in resort as and when needed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
just come back from Bourg and found it a nice little place ..the roads were clear and no problems driving in the area ..I drove to Valandry and Villroger when the funicular broke down ..there is a free shuttle bus round Boug that runs from the funicular ...and there is also a Lidl in the town and as far as I could see you had to pay to park in the town
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's choice of two reasonably sized supermarket in 1800 village, prices not too bad (we've usually been on tight family budget, to give judgement) plus other trattoria, pizza, cafè etc. At least workable and when you add in travel+time to get to valley shops, then not a showstopper staying in village. There's alot of choice dotted around there of cooked meals, takeout etc. We last took sizeable shop up from BsM with us and didn't go down again to get anything at all. To be honest, it wasn't more expensive that us shopping in London in 1800.

Obviously, for this year seems to be more expensive across most places from experience on here, home as well. Shouldn't be crazy overall.

The road to LA is always cleared, but you never know just what you'll get regarding snowfall and can be significant into late March.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Like the others who've commented, I'd stay up in 1800. Carting all your stuff up from Bourg St M won't be fun (in another thread you were planning to take all your linen/towels). You can do some planned shopping in advance, but really the marginal difference between a valley supermarket and the resort supermarkets is not really worth bothering about in the expensive context of a family ski holiday! If you leave the car in Bourg St M you won't even be able to have a simple snack when you finally collapse, exhausted, into the apartment without trogging round the shops (which might be closed!!) or going out to a restaurant.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Parking next to village entrance gate is free and fairly convenient.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I hate to say this because as @kettonskimum says, the roads will almost certainly be clear and dry but of my 60 or so times driving to Les Arcs I've only needed chains twice and one of those was in April. It was about 3 in the morning and the road was perfectly clear by 8:00.

As others have said I would not park in Bourg, lump all my luggage up the funicular and onto the navette. It's just not worth it.

The requirement for winter tyres expires on the first of April so your ordinary tyres will be fine. I'd check the forecast in advance to see if you need chains but I'd doubt it. As we are driving down the week before and because we have them we will have snow chains in the car but TBH it is purely to abide by the law.

The Super U in Bourg st Maurice is excellent but the only real benefit of going there is the greater choice you would have over the shops in the resort. There is an excellent fish counter for example. Unless you are catering for a huge party the saving is costs will not be great. From our apartment in Arc 1600 we have taken the funicular down to the Super U with large rucksacks in the past but decided the return did not warrent the effort. We have, however, stopped off in the supermarket in 1800 while skiing because they have a greater selection that the tiny one in 1600. Hence been seen skiing back with leeks sticking out of my jacket and wine bottles out of the pockets (I forgot a shopping bag!)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It may seem a bit of a faff @Owlette, with all the detail we discuss here, but to emphasize, its soooo exciting driving up there with just huge anticipation especially for family, children etc.

Definitely one of the best ways to go on holiday, we look forward to it madly Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnE wrote:
We have, however, stopped off in the supermarket in 1800 while skiing because they have a greater selection that the tiny one in 1600. Hence been seen skiing back with leeks sticking out of my jacket and wine bottles out of the pockets (I forgot a shopping bag!)

Some considerable style Sir.

I wonder what a accident report during such travel would generate, with bodies, leeks and claret scattered across the piste. Probably make front page news on the Swansea Times Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have to say it was in the days of the old carrely lift and the gentle gollet piste back to 1600. Walking speed all the way
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fabulous thank you.

We'd definitely want to do a shop when we arrive, and don't mind walking the shopping back when in resort.

Reassuring to read about the road conditions. I did see on a previous thread that the requirement for chains etc expires on April 1st, so thought it would probably be okay. But didn't want to be the bloody idiot Brit that gets stuck.

Glad to hear there's two decent supermarkets there. We did a last minute trip to Brittany last May and the supermarket on site at the Eurocamp parc was tiny and expensive. There was a Lidl 5 miles away, but nobody fancied the drive, so we made do with the tiny shop and eating out. Wasn't great though.

That decides it then. Be much easier to have the car up at 1800 for unloading.

@ski3, I LOVE the detail. It makes me happy to think, plan and discuss all things skiing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE,

Marvellous! Sounds like something I'd do!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If the weather suggests it will be very snowy when you arrive then frankly you'd be daft NOT to have chains with you, and not to have practiced putting them on!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are staying in 1800 for nine weeks and we stocked up in Bourg on our way up and have then gone down once a week to restock. Using the local shops to buy odd things during the week. I am assuming your accommodation does not have parking and you are probably aware that there are parking barriers as you enter the resort and you then have to pay for parking before you leave. I think its about 80/90 euros for the week. If you do drive up to unload I would recommend stocking up at the Super U before heading up. They also sell a good range of chains if conditions look like you might need them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are currently in Arc 1800 for 6 weeks. We have been there many times and just love the range of skiing. However, the prices in resort supermarkets and delis are much more expensive than in Bourg. The Les Arcs navettes and funicular run well into the evening to take you down to Bourg. In Bourg there is a well stocked Lidl up and over the main railway bridge. Alternatively, take the free La Ronde Navette from outside the Funicular to the Centre Nautique. There are 2 routes, Ligne A goes round town and Ligne B goes more directly to Centre Nautique. The Centre Nautique bus stop is straight across the main road from the 2 larger supermarkets that other people have mentioned. This round town bus runs til about 6.30 in the evening. We take a couple of roll along suitcases with us and make sure we get on at the front of the funicular on way back up to 1600 to avoid lugging it up the metal staircase. If you have children then a Thursday is a good day for Bourg shopping as there are often fun activities in the town as well as the Funicular running later. https://www.bourgsaintmaurice.fr/transports/bourg-saint-maurice
You get 4 hrs free parking in Arc 1800 for unloading purposes and then if you want to avoid paying you can park in 1600 and get the bus back. Hope you have a great time. We have a range of snow chains for all the different cars we have had and only ever needed to use 1 set!
ski holidays
Oooh. Parking in 1600 and bussing it is a good shout. How regular are the buses and what do they cost?

I think I read that there was free parking outside the 1800 gate too. Where do I look for that please?

We will pay to park if need be, but if there's free parking nearby, then naturally I'd love to save the money.
ski holidays
I have previously done that trip early April to Tignes and to Courchevel.
Unfortunately never encountered a need to put snow chains (skiing wise it was unfortunately, of course)
Since we were in self catering apartments I always stopped just outside Moutiers at Super U & Drive, huge selection and cheap prices.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/B78nRYgieER1Bx9r7
latest report
We drove to the Tarentaise in the second week of April last year and were definitely glad of winter tyres as it was starting to snow heavily as we drove up to the resort and we would probably have needed to put the chains on if we’d arrived later.
I would get your car equipped for winter driving conditions as it can still snow to valley level at that time of year. There is a good Super U in Bourg for the food shop.
snow conditions
I could also not imagine arriving by car and carrying everything onto the funicular. We usually do a few journeys from the car to the apartment to unload everything but we have our own ski equipment etc
ski holidays
Not sure where the parking is outside the gate. There is a smallish car park further down the hill whicih is free but it is always rammed. I would not park on the roads leading to the car park as this is the main mountain road. I have not been up to Eden Arc since it has been developed, it may have free parking. Buses from 1600 to 1800 are free and every 20 mins or so during the day.
snow conditions
Parking, was my reference to "outside" gate location.

Context, last there was trying to understand what I could and couldn't do, plus weekly cost. Cursory drive around to look at options gave me that view, but eventually found I had parking included in accommodation rented and so didn't use.

The entrance maybe nearer to 1600 than 1800 though, but either, buses no problem it doesn't matter too much.

Parking near Eden, was there (although smaller than before) when last visited as we did park there for the week. Everything inside gates is charged as I understand it unless you've specifically got a deal to have that included.

Makes it sound onerous, but in reality quite workable.
ski holidays
I’m off to 1800 this year so following this thread with interest as I have the same requirements.

Just wanted to add we went to 1950 last year and had to put chains on at 10am on the 2nd of April as the road was snow and ice BUT I think that was past the 1800 exit. That was with cross climates on too. So yep I’m glad I took mine !
ski holidays
Was there for a few weeks in January and pretty much self-catered from the two supermarkets on site. The Sherpa has heaps more choice than the Spar but we tended to use Spar because it was closer to our accommodation. There's also several places to get local cheeses and meats.

I can't comment on how the costs are compared to other European places as we come from tropical Australia and frankly everything seems super cheap compared to what we pay (it was 10 euros for a kilo of lychees! We pay twice that and we grow the bloody things). We'd spend maybe 20-25 euros a day on foodstuffs and booze.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy