Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need a cruisy resort for second week of Easter, AME sufferer

Poster: A snowHead
Asking the impossible I'm sure!

Where should I consider?

I have managed to wrestle a week off work but it's the second week of the Easter break: 8 to 15 April. I'm not the biggest fan of slush but it's my only chance and I haven't been for 4 years. Worried about this season's snow though.

The only cheap flights I can find are to Milan Malpensa. I don't mind hiring a car, or using convoluted public transport to get to resort. I do mind paying for private transfers, not an option on my budget.

The other complication is that I really don't do well with altitude - think dizziness, nausea, and about to keep over at the top of Cervinia/ Zermatt on one memorable occasion. Saas Fee was marginally better, I managed 3 hours up top before having to come down.

Am happy to up/ download at beginning and end of the day. Had a really good Easter week in Val Cenis one year, slopes were in excellent nick as they are mostly north-facing. So am considering there, La Thuile, Cervinia but staying in Valtournenche, or... anywhere really. Ideally we'd go somewhere like Finland, or another scandi country, but it's expensive once there and cheap flights are seemingly non-existent. Did I mention I'm on a limited budget?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this daft set of requirements

Piste skiers only, me intermidiot, son a bit out of practice and stuck in the world of stem turns but hopefully he will improve now he is a bit older.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don’t know how your going to reconcile late season with not wanting to going high if you’ve discounted Scandinavia.

We’re going to Norway that week as its late.

Good luck.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@robertsnerys,
Sounds like this seasons snow has improved quite a bit but second week of April I really would be looking at highish North facing skiing.
La Thuile may be decent. You can get through the Frejus tunnel and get some cheap accommodation at or near Orelle from where you can ski Val Thorens .Les 2 Alpes is reachable by car but quite a distance which should be pretty snow sure. Must admit in that situation I would look for cheap car hire and wait till much later to see where the snow is. There is rarely a shortage of accommodation that late and often some cheap deals.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val Cenis a good fit for tight remit, I like going there anyway.

Similar, but different location to switch it up, Nendaz in CH for all North side of 4V.

With village almost identical altitude to that of VC and extensive piste skiing with it. "Printze" sector gives lift pass excluding Verbier side if budget constraints mean that, but there's more in there than many small stand alone ski areas total. Lift/connects recently revised, taking out that which was viewed as difficult access into main area going out from Nendaz, a lot to offer.

Many options accommodation wise, scheduled opening until May, alot of North facing aspect. Siviez may be advantage to stay as very central, but Nendaz has much more accommodation stick to probably give decent cost/choice. Reached via transfer along valley and scheduled bus up from station if required. Geneva obviously.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd go for Cervinia, staying in Valtournenche, as you suggest. 2 hours drive in cheap Italian rented car.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Conditions now are well-nigh irrelevant to what they'll be in mid April!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Could be much better, or much worse.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On limited budget, late season - Livigno would be (and has been) our choice. Village is at 1800m, no problems for most, don't know about you. Skiing between 1800 and 3000m, and very good value.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some great ideas here - thank you all.

Livigno, hadn't considered that, never been - will check it out.

Val Cenis is just such phenomenal value, and deserted, so that's also on my list.

I will book either flights to a nodal point, or the tunnel, depending on how much faith I can muster in my ancient car - got a lot of Tesco Clubcard points to use so that'd be a cheaper way to get there although it's a long drive for one person.

I even have problems sleeping at 1,800m, it's so weird - although I was anaemic for (probably) years without realising it, so potentially it might not be as bad now. Otherwise I'd be up t the mountain in a flash. Valtournenche looks possible, been to Cervinia and god, it's an ugly, charmless town so I'd miss nothing not staying there.

Alpe D'huez might be a goer if I can get a sunweb cheapy.

Plenty of options, will keep fingers crossed for snow.

Thanks again everyone.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Worth checking flights to Paris.
Modane is only 4 hrs or so on the rattler. Might be an option for val cenis.
Dare I say it - Orelle & back door access to Val Thorens if Val Cenis is not an option due to lack of snow - Les sybelles, longchamps & Vallore are also accessible on that same stretch.
Yes it is high, but maybe you can spend a day acclimatising to the altitude before going full gun-ho.

Lots of web info about what you can do to get over altitude sickness. Most do require an adjustment period though.

Austira is quite low lying & what you pay extra in flights, you can easily save by using public transport to lots of resorts. However, would need researching by you, as I avoid peak season Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From Malpensa, for low altitude but nice late snow, check out Madesimo (1450m), Bormio (1200m), Alagna (1200m, lowest village of Monte Rosa), La Thuile (1400m), Madonna di Campiglio (1500m), Cortina d’Ampezzo (1300m). Bormio and Monte Rosa have huge verticals so high terrain but low villages. Cortina has access to higher slopes via gondola. Livigno and Passo Tonale are high villages, which sounds like not what you want.

You can stay low and access Madonna at Pinzolo (loooooong gondola), or in the Val de Sole at Marilleva or Folgarida 900-1400m with gondola to ski area but the 5 Laghi and Pradolago areas were a sunny slushfest of a February afternoon so I’d expect them to require a wetsuit and snorkel in April. Would expect the north facing Marilleva, Daolasa, Folgarida part of the ski area could be better.

Alagna would probably have a white stripe through green fields at the bottom but ski area goes up to 3000m so should be okay higher up.

La Thuile is north facing, linked to a south facing resort in France Puzzled

Madesimo is apparently pretty snow sure but I’m not sure on the closing date.

Or do what I did last year and wait until the very last minute.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What about further east, to avoid slush? Won't be high either. Anyone know about Slovakia, or even the south of Poland? Might help with the budgeting too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@robertsnerys, I'm in Val Cenis the week before, and have chosen it due to North facing, and pretty high. Goes up to 2800 I think. Also, a lot of blues and greens, so ideal for my fairly inexperienced teens.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@shap, you'll have a great time. The north-facing aspect makes a huge difference IMO, sometimes more than the altitude. I remember skiing nice, crisp pistes there till around 2pm, there wasn't even a hint of slush until you got much lower down, later. If you get a chance whilst there (and have a car - there may be a bus, not sure) try and do a day at Bonneval sur Arc, which is just a bit further up the valley. It's a beautiful old village with a totally deserted, extremely scenic ski area that goes up to 3,000m. It's basically the other flank of Val D but the road over the top to Val D is closed in winter. Really worthwhile.

I'd absolutely love to go back to CH, @ski3 but the strong CHF and high on-the-ground prices rules it out. It's my other favourite country to ski in but the ski passes alone for Nendaz for me and the boy are £450, and swiss accommodation, food, and equipment rental are really dear - way out of my budget. Val Cenis, you can get pass and accommodation for £250 each, it's not dissimilar in some parts of Italy.

Personally my favourite country to ski in is Italy, so I think I am going to be brave and plump for flights to Milan Malpensaa, as there are innumerable resports accessible from there, and it's always the cheapest airport. I'll pick a resort nearer the time.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@robertsnerys, From MXP it’s 2 hours easy drive to Aosta, proper town, with Roman ruins and good value food and accommodation, the skiing is in Pila via the 20min gondola ride from town, Aosta is less than 1000 m so sleeping will be OK. Pila is mainly north facing and hold the snow well. 30 mins further is La Thuile it’s 1400m or stay in Pre St Didier and drive up daily, takes 15 mins. The lift pass for both will give 1-2 days skiing at each resort, or all Aosta resorts with an upgrade. Sleeping low may give you more time on skis, only you will know that though.whatever you choose, good luck and enjoy it.
snow report
I would opt for Engelberg (it's one of my go-to April resorts). Cheap Swiss flight to Zurich. trains from the airport railway station go to Lucerne and an easy change for the Engelberg line. Village at 1,000 metres, skiing goes to very high altitudes. Lots of late season deals in hotels. It is one of the better value Swiss resorts for accommodation, eating and drinking.
snow conditions
I’d go to La Thuile that week. It has a good snow record and quiet slopes.
We were there at the same time last year when the weather was exceptionally mild but the skiing was still very good.
latest report
Great, thanks everyone.

I've found flights to Turin for only a few quid more than MXP, so I might go for those (and it's a more sociable time of day). From there, my first choice is Val Cenis because price, it's so cheap and there is Bonneval sur Arc for a bit of variety.

La Thuile next on the list, comes out more expensive than Val Cenis though. Pila potentially if I can't get cheap enough accommodation there.

If it's looking dicey in all of the above, I might have to rethink and go to Cervinia/ Valtournenche, Val Thorens/ Tignes although I don't much fancy those to be honest. I prefer smaller, quieter, places - no point paying for mega mileage when I won't use it all, my son is not that confident as hasn't been properly since before covid.

I'm almost tempted by Davos, found a cheapo apartment and lift pass deal, and flights to Zurich aren't too bad. I'm just really scared of the prices on the ground, I remember huffing a lot in supermarkets back in the day, and that was before the CHF started its upward ascent (or the £ downward, or a combo of both). Plus lots of my favourite bits will be closed (Madrisa, nice quiet Pischa) and there is a lot of schlepping across the ugly town.

There, I've got my plan of action. Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
snow conditions
Having skied in La Thuile and Val Cenis at Easter I think La thuile would be better in terms of snow late season particularly if you stick to the runs above Les suches and in the San Bernardo area above the pass.

Whilst val cenis is all north facing the lower runs were very heavy when we went once in late March so it wouldn’t be my first choice for the second week of April. I also don’t find it that cruisy. It is certainly good value though.
snow conditions
Yes, you're probably right, snowymum. Yes, the bottom runs were very heavy in Val C when we were there, but higher up they were tip top...

The Pre st Didier suggestion for staying looks good, might save a few quid.
snow conditions
snowymum wrote:
Whilst val cenis is all north facing the lower runs were very heavy when we went once in late March so it wouldn’t be my first choice for the second week of April. I also don’t find it that cruisy. It is certainly good value though.

I feel this certainly depends on experience, March visit for my entire ski life (other times too) evolved into really enjoying this condition. "Penny pinchers powder par excellence" Laughing its absolutely bliss at days end, often when others don't want it.
My piste ski is favourite at 90mm with rockered tip that float through this with aplomb, understanding that less developed skillset may bulk at it, but if the experience builds and techniques to use it, then its genuinely superb.

I'll take it over hard ice coverage in a heartbeat, so very forgiving, you can throw any pace at it with really low risk, just so much fun that many avoid. Usually towards the day end you have it mostly to yourself, couldn't be better.
snow report
@ski3, I had some really poor hire skis on the holiday in Val cenis I’m recalling and they certainly had no rocker. I remember trying to ski down l’escargot mid afternoon and struggling to move forward. After that holiday I bought my own all mountain skis and as you say this can make all the difference.

Nevertheless my gut feeling is that there is more cruisy skiing above 2000m in La thuile/la rosiere than Val cenis, particularly now there is the new Mont valaisan area in La rosiere. The lower south facing runs in La rosiere were definitely as heavy as the bottom of Val cenis last April but if you are based in La thuile you can avoid la rosiere in the afternoons.

The op also says they are looking at the second week of April rather than March.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy