Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Argentiere / Flaine / La Plagne / Tignes / Val d'Isere for solo novice 18th March?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, I am a 34 y.o male going on my first ski trip (solo) on the 18th March. I would be staying at one of the UPCAs in Argentiere / Flaine / La Plagne / Tignes / Val d'Isere. My priorities would be snow sureness and a good selection of runs for beginners. I would consider myself fairly athletic if that makes any difference. As for the Apres Ski I don't care about nightclubs and high end bars, would be happy as long as there are a few bars and a bit of buzz about the place. Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Johnmcc, welcome to the forum.

I have not been to UCPA (others know more) but from what I hear they have classes which will teach beginners, and will show you the suitable slopes in whichever resort.

If it were a self-organised trip, I would be pointing you to La Plagne or Flaine.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Didn’t know much about UCPA so took a look on their website. Looks good and tried their resort chooser using some data you supplied which suggested La Plagne as preferred from the list, with Val D and Tignes a little further down. I would agree with the earlier comment that La Plagne is a good option and one of my preferred resorts. It is plenty high enough. Can’t advise on beginners areas though the instructor will take you to the right slopes - everywhere has some beginner slopes. One thing to consider if solo might be mix of language. My experience of La Plangne is that it tends to be more popular with French visitors versus say Val D’Isere or Tignes but maybe UCPA negates that observation. Of course perhaps you want to meet other nationalities.

I note that UCPA have two sites in La Plagne: 1800 and Plangne Centre and might suggest the later so it is closer to other bars etc. Tignes UCPA looks to be in Val Claret (highest) so very snow sure and close to bars etc.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you book a beginner class then wherever you go will be fine, they'll take you wherever is suitable which might be the nearest beginner zone/slope for the first few days. If you're not on full time lessons you can ask for advice anyway. In other words, it won't really matter. For that reason I'd go for price and/or convenience (shorter transfer) and/or comfort (newer centre, proximity to the beginner slope).

I've not been to but I believe that argentiere requires a minibus every day, and I suspect the snow won't be great in Flaine late march, but it might be OK, and the building is well located.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Johnmcc,
If your athletic and up for it will probably enjoy almost anywhere you go so I wouldn't sweat it too much. 18 March is reasonably snow sure in all places but lower slopes could have very soft snow/slush in warm weather.
Not sure where will have the fewest queues in the beginners area but I might be inclined to go for La Plagne or val Disere on the grounds that they are both reasonably high but have access to a few trees if the weather is poor.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy