Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Martin/3Vs half term

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone advise what the queues are like in peak Feb week (thinking specifically of the chair St Martin 2 at the top of the bubble)
We have done a week there late March/early April and love the village but wonder if this might be a pinch point after we drop the kids to ski school when things are busy.
Any other suggestions within the 3V for a mid range budget? We once stayed in Courchevel by the Pralong chair and didn’t find the queues too bad at all at half term, but it was a decade ago and suspect would be too pricey now.
Thinking ahead for next year!
Thanks so much snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The chair at the top of the bubble from St Martin broke down a few times last week. When they got it running again it didn't sound healthy, hope they've managed to fix it properly by now. Had to catch a bus with around 300 others up to Les Menuires to get back into Meribel.

Now the bubble from Le Praz to 1850 is a bit speedier maybe look there. Pretty village, quick access to Ski School in 1850 and you can catch the bubble back down until late. If you hire gear from Olympic Sports opposite the Peuplier hotel you should be able to store skis & boots there for an easier walk to lifts in the morning. This means you can book somewhere a bit further from the lifts which should be cheaper.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks! That is not good news about the chair (am booked in this April already!!) but will take a look in Le Praz. Might be nice to stay on that side as with needing to get back for 13:00 it’s a bit restrictive and I remember the nice runs in 1650 etc. thanks @ol_smokey!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are pinch points all over in all the main French ski resorts at HT. It's the nature of the beast. However.... we normally go Christmas and Easter but last year we were forced to go HT and we went to Les Coches - TR here. And for us it was certainly liveable. It does help if you know the lift system and what the normal pinch points are because obviously that is where things can get a bit much (think Arpette, Bergerie, Colosses in La Plagne). Time of day is important. First lift OK, ski school meet up time and changeover time not, lunchtime really good, mid to late afternoon when everyone is getting back to their home sector not. And so on.

Specific to 3V. I've stayed in Les Men a couple of times and there it can depend on where you are staying but there are certainly options - can go over to Masse for example and then cross back over when quiet. Always liked the ease of access to Mont Vallon, Val T from Les Men. Don't know the routes out of St Martin so well. La Tania always seemed a bit cheaper and more convenient than Le Praz (even though I did stay in Le Praz before kids and it was great) in regard of the Courch valley.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Skimum1, the St M express chair has been running fine again over the last few days. In terms of queues- my experience us that, as long as you’re ahead of the ski schools’ mass departure in the morning - which is usually 9.30am, there really isn’t a problem. So drop your kids off in good time and get in the queue pronto! If you think about it…at 9.30am almost the only people taking the St M express are from St M. The queues form later - before it was upgraded to a 6 seater they were terrible from 3pm onwards. It does still get busy, but it moves quickly. Late afternoon the bonus is that you can sip a hot choc at the Corbeleys restaurant by the lift, wait for the crowds to die down as they head back to the other resorts, then jump on the lift and finish the day with a peaceful zoom down Jerusalem or Pramint.
If you are looking for other 3V options-I’d take a look at Couchevel 1650- which has some lovely cruisey skiing above the resort. The issue for me with regard to Le Praz is that the runs down to the village are pretty tricky (not stayed there though!).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1650 is bloomin expensive post covid, price for the apartment we stayed in this year is set to increase 15% if we rebook for next year.

Runs into Le Praz are tricky but now the bubble has been upgraded and runs to 11pm downloading is a lot easier from 1850. If your kids are in 1650 ski school it kind of limits how far across the valleys you can get before having to head back.

By staying in Le Praz and using 1850 ski school you can ski in the the other valleys from 1850 and get back in good time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Perty wrote:
@Skimum1,If you are looking for other 3V options-I’d take a look at Couchevel 1650- which has some lovely cruisey skiing above the resort. The issue for me with regard to Le Praz is that the runs down to the village are pretty tricky (not stayed there though!).

I agree that the runs into Le Praz from Courchevel can be tricky (the ones from La Tania are good though) but you can easily download on the Le Praz gondola from the centre of C1850. And the Alpinium has excellent changing rooms/lockers for hire so walking back from the gondola to the main part of Le Praz (where all the accommodation is) is no issue. The problem with C1650 IMO is that it has exactly the same issue as St M (and La Tania) in peak periods - only one easy way out in the morning on the gondola.

Edit: removed irrelevant references to 2023 World Championships.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 31-01-23 22:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think @Skimum1 is looking at next year, not the next 2 weeks!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Perty, oh sorry, missed that! I'll edit it Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brilliant, thank you all, @Perty, @Raceplate, @ol_smokey, @Layne, that is super helpful feedback.
Yes indeed we are looking for next year rolling eyes the place we usually visit in Switzerland is already booked for half term ‘24 and really I think the teens need the challenge now the 3V can provide so it’s good to know (much like our half term visit back in the day) things may be busy but keep moving along. I would love to ski Jerusalem in good conditions and find out what the fuss is about! It’s not quite the same in April.
Thanks again snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Skimum1, Jerusalem is great first thing in the morning as a warmup. Even better if there’s fresh snow, though these days on a fresh snow day we tend to head down Choucas (the blue run past the top of Jerusalem) and to the Olympic Chair for Verdet back to St M express, or return down the Meribel side either via the black or blue then turning onto gentle blue Raffort piste down to Le Raffort through the trees. The latter is a delight in new snow. Lovely! Verdet is invariably dead quiet even in the busiest of weeks though quickly gets mushy in warm weather as it faces south..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pre covid we stayed at Les Men for 4 years at Feb HT, just above Doron, Reberty and Masse lifts. We kept coming back so even though there were queues, it didn't put us off! The pattern followed every other resort I have stayed at for peak periods: long first thing, quieter at lunch, manic late afternoon. No getting around it, other than seeking out the extremities and skiing over lunch times. We loved Les Men as we could access the entire 3V during the day, so our teenagers never get bored. I hope you find something suitable and enjoy!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you both! Can’t wait to go back this April and try some of these runs. in fact a spot just opened up in our usual resort next year but now I am sorely tempted by everything St M and the 3Vs can offer next Feb instead!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy