Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is cash king in Italy?

Poster: A snowHead
We are going to Italy for the first time in March. Pretty much every person I have been in contact with (ski hire, B&B, taxis) is offering discounts for cash.

Should I just take cash? Is card just not a thing over there?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We used out cards extensively last week in the Dollies and Venice as in previous years, always carried cash just in case the connections were down for the card machines in the mountains though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was in Italy last weekend and used a card nearly everywhere. It is handy though to carry a bit more cash than you would at home. There was one cafe that wanted cash only and my card wouldn't work at one motorway toll booth. We would have been a bit screwed without cash for that.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am skiing in Italy right now. And have zero euros in my wallet. Literally none. Every place not takes a card no problem. My wife carries some cash as we like to tip in cash. But other than that don’t worry.

That said the grey economy has always been strong in Italy….
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good to here. I much prefer to go without cash where possible. I will just take the minimum cash.

Thank you
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@turboblackbeard, As above, holding the folding will often secure best price in privately owned businesses as the Italians have an old-fashioned approach to tax declarations
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swerving tax in Italy is a national sport.

Got a resto meal yesterday for €80 cash (€88 card).

Take cash.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you want a discount = cash
Otherwise the litany is "card or cash?" (certainly in the Dolomites...)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@zikomo, I think you are missing out. I won't name names but I know a good few Italian restaurants where cash gets you, errr, "favourable", terms.

And one French one last week who claimed the card reader was wonky so csh was, "preferred", aye, right hahah.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, I know! I did say the grey economy is strong in Italy, discounts are often to be had for cash. And certain transactions are definitely facilitated by it, i have some direct experience of that!

But times have changed. Back in the day maybe an Italian credit card would be accepted but many places were cash only. No longer and the OP will be fine relying on a card. And I don’t really advise tourists to have the “how much for cash” conversation unless they speak good Italian.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@zikomo, abs no, I wouldn't ask that. far too leading! But if the front page of the menu says in large bold font (as one Champoluc restaurant does) "Cash 10% discount" it seems rude not to oblige Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In the mountains the taxi drivers prefer cash, everywhere else it’s cards all the way.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're just back from the Dolomites. The only time we had to pay cash was for the horse-tow at the end of the Hidden Valley run.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Used to be the case that cards were difficult to use in Italy, but since Covid especially nearly every establishment has a card reader.

Notable exceptions this year where the preference was for cash as mentioned above were the taxibus and horse tow on the Hidden Valley.

I still like to have a bit of € cash on hand for smaller transactions and emergencies.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, I am off to champoluc soon and realise this is a tangent but curious of anywhere you can recommend to eat on the mountain or in the town.
snow report
@Kamikaze Pete, will PM you
ski holidays
Had the odd bar in Italy, post covid, where their card reader is frequently not working, plus a busy slope side bar it can be hassle and slow for them to go grab a reader other staff may be using, whereas cash is quick. Not that I prefer cash. I'd rather just tap phone.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy