Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Val Claret - Couple of questions please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, hope you’re all enjoying the season or looking forward to getting out there.

We have booked Tignes Val Claret just this week for Apr 1-8, 2023. We didn’t think we would manage to get out anywhere this year but found we could do it. Since my friend and his family have already booked to go there, we thought we would join them. I did go last Easter for a week but I would just like to ask a couple of questions please:

1. Golf Car Park - last year I parked in there with same car that I have now: BMW X5. However, this year I was hoping to take the roof box. The website gives a limit which I am quite sure my car exceeds. It does also say that “free placement if your vehicle exceeds height”. Does that mean they can accommodate bigger cars? Or would I be best squishing all in (I could do this but I would prefer more room in car)

2. Last year my daughters went to Evolution2 and did there Yeti 1 badge. My friend has booked his Evolution2 months ago. There is nothing available for our dates with that company. When I have looked at other companies, there is space but they do not have Yeti 2. What are the other companies’ alternative names please? That way I know that they are in the correct groups.

Many thanks in advance for any help
Eh oh! Eh oh!
Edit: forgot to put dates in when we are going. Done that now.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don’t know about parking but this link might help with the levels - ours have moved between ski schools plenty of times and they just fit them in based on capability rather than prior medals.

https://www.checkyeti.com/blog/en/level-system-french-ski-schools
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks v much @Langski, that’s a massive help.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes there are plenty of alternatives (schools) out of Val Claret and plenty of options - base yourself on capability in the written statements rather then medals held thats for sure.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers @Steve Angus, sound advice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dougie, on page 1 of the main Tignes - Val d'Isere thread, I've posted all the height limits for all the Tignes car parks. These are the ones displayed at each entrance, not the ones quoted on the parking website.

From memory, Golf public entrance is 2.30m and not what the website says.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161226#5066262
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bobski62, Thank you for that. That will make it closer. Going to have to get out the tape measure. Cheers
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We were there exactly the same time in 2022. Honda CRV with roofbox fine in Golf.

But, I saw that lots of people parked their cars for free in front on their accommodations (if a space) for free. The places that I'd assumed were to unpack only. We'd pre-paid so left in Golf but moved the car into a space the day before we left to make it easier to pack. I was slightly concerned about being 'towed' but nothing. Some cars (Inc UK ones) had been parked there all week. There were also many cars parked on the road on the way to Golf.

Not sure if anyone else has experience of not using car parks in VC in April?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kettonskimum, I've covered the points about parking in the street and next to accommodation in the main Tignes - Val d'Isere thread, page 1.

The road up to Golf is used during busy times and you still have to pay. Cars that have not paid get leafleted and may then get towed.

Ditto if you don't have a badge to allow you to park outside accommodation.

I don't see vast numbers of cars getting towed away but it's your risk.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bobski62, Somebody has to pay for the New Year fireworks wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kettonskimum, I got leafleted last year so took it back to the car park. Thanks for the reply.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And thanks @bobski62
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ah, no worries. In fairness, the 'no parking' sign in front of our accommodation had been covered up so something was going on. No cars parked there for the week we're leafleted and I checked them for badges (nothing).

But don't think I'd rock up without a car park reservation - just another hassle when you get there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DougieHi we'll be in Val Claret that week after also doing Feb half-term there. We actually stay right next to the Evolution 2 meeting point as my kids use it. Well there are in Feb, April is all about leaving lessons behind for us and finally back to full days out on the slopes.

Yeti 1 is basically ESF one star and Yeti 2 ESF 2 star if that helps. We converted from ESF to Evo2 with my eldest (and never went back) so been there and done that.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jumping on the VC thread as we're back there in April.

Any recommendations (or desparately "avoid this place" warnings) on ski rental. Either direct or via alpinresorts, Precision Ski https://www.precisionski-rent.com/ski-hire/tignes-val-claret-diva-rond-point-des-pistes comes out as the cheapest and *appears* to have a decent range on offer.

We're money conscious as there's 7 of us hiring and whilst we're all pretty OK skiers (most of the party are comfortable skiing Tignes' blacks and three of them are comfortable off piste) none of us are "gear afficiandos". So it could be a false economy finding the "best" ski hire place and paying 1000Euros for the week for us all, but equally want to make sure we've got half decent value for the 500euros or so that it's likely to cost us (a mix of some needing boots, some not, some will be lower end skis too as there are two relative novices coming with us).

We have hired from there before via alpinresorts but just want to know if spending say 10% or 20% more might be worth our while, and if so where would be recommended.
snow report
@larkim,
www.tignes-spirit.com
ski holidays
Kenzie wrote:
@larkim,
www.tignes-spirit.com

Thanks - quite pricey compared to the "cheap as chips" option I was looking at. Convince me it's worth the extra?
latest report
It's entirely possible that it might make sense to spend more on one set of skis for our "best" skier and then just go "bog standard hire shop" for the rest of us of course!
ski holidays
For me it depends on proximity of the shop more than most things as there isn't much to chose between the value shops usually. We used Intersport at Le Jhana by the ski school drop off point last year as we stayed there. Good experience as it goes, rebooked again this year for repeat visit Feb and April.

Book online at intersport-rent.fr and use discount code Planetski to get a 10% discount, you get additional 5% for signing up with Intersport too. Should apply in the other locations too.

For reference, 2 adults and 3 biggish kids were under €300 for us.
snow conditions
@larkim I've found you can't go wrong with Ski Republic. They work in partnership with mainstream ski shops in resort.

https://www.ski-republic.com/our-resorts/tignes

We've used them a few times in the past as they can be cheaper than ski carriage on shorter trips. Never had any issues with the standard of the kit and prices can be ridiculously cheap - like €26/week for bottom of the range skis Laughing Add €24 for boots wink
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
@larkim I've found you can't go wrong with Ski Republic. They work in partnership with mainstream ski shops in resort.

https://www.ski-republic.com/our-resorts/tignes

We've used them a few times in the past as they can be cheaper than ski carriage on shorter trips. Never had any issues with the standard of the kit and prices can be ridiculously cheap - like €26/week for bottom of the range skis Laughing Add €24 for boots wink

I am glad to hear that.

I used them once for my teenage Sons (The place in Val Claret near The Diva Hotel). It was very cheap and the staff were helpful, but the kit was old and a bit tatty. The following year, we (Myself and Daughter) used the Deep Snow Skiset very nearby (as Crystal had a very good Ski Pass/Hire offer) and the kit was almost new, but at full price, more expensive.
latest report
Yeah, Ski Republic via Precision Ski shops in Les Arcs 1800 was the worst kit I've probably ever had. They were integrated with the Edenarc apartments so we used them several times but we had to take them on about the kit at times.

Intersport were light years ahead of that for the same price, or very little more.
snow conditions
The gulf in price is pretty huge, especially when multiplied up for a family of 6 of which 5 of us on our day could justify the higher end rental products. Intersport online prices are about 150-160Euros for top end hire. Precision ski is quoting me Euros 61 for their top end stuff.

And in terms of the way their websites present their stuff, there's relatively little difference in what *on paper* I'd be buying for thos 90-100Euros extra each. In fairness to Intersport, they explicitly say the age of their kit is 1 season or 45 days, and Precision don't say anything about theirs I suppose. Though they do say "We guarantee to provide you with quality equipment, waxed and sharpened every week, to give you maximum pleasure on the slopes." Which is something.

If I could find a hire shop that was c. 90Euros for the "best" skis and did make some explicit promises about equipment age, that would proably justify an extra 150 or so EUros spend on hire, and whilst word of mouth is really helpful too I think that can cut both ways - sometimes bad reviews stick in the memory, and sometimes what one person views as "good" is actually pretty poor!

Thanks all for the input. I think I'll stick for now with the Precision ski deal as it is pretty damned cheap! 380Euros for 7 sets of skis (of various levels), four sets of boots and one helmet seems pretty good VFM and if we end up with crappy kit I'll at least have thought the whole thing through!
ski holidays
Quote:

Golf Car Park - last year I parked in there with same car that I have now: BMW X5. However, this year I was hoping to take the roof box. The website gives a limit which I am quite sure my car exceeds. It does also say that “free placement if your vehicle exceeds height”. Does that mean they can accommodate bigger cars? Or would I be best squishing all in (I could do this but I would prefer more room in car)

My Partner with roofboxes fits comfortably in the Golf car park....
snow report
larkim wrote:
The gulf in price is pretty huge, especially when multiplied up for a family of 6 of which 5 of us on our day could justify the higher end rental products. Intersport online prices are about 150-160Euros for top end hire. Precision ski is quoting me Euros 61 for their top end stuff.

And in terms of the way their websites present their stuff, there's relatively little difference in what *on paper* I'd be buying for thos 90-100Euros extra each. In fairness to Intersport, they explicitly say the age of their kit is 1 season or 45 days, and Precision don't say anything about theirs I suppose. Though they do say "We guarantee to provide you with quality equipment, waxed and sharpened every week, to give you maximum pleasure on the slopes." Which is something.

If I could find a hire shop that was c. 90Euros for the "best" skis and did make some explicit promises about equipment age, that would proably justify an extra 150 or so EUros spend on hire, and whilst word of mouth is really helpful too I think that can cut both ways - sometimes bad reviews stick in the memory, and sometimes what one person views as "good" is actually pretty poor!

Thanks all for the input. I think I'll stick for now with the Precision ski deal as it is pretty damned cheap! 380Euros for 7 sets of skis (of various levels), four sets of boots and one helmet seems pretty good VFM and if we end up with crappy kit I'll at least have thought the whole thing through!

Depends what you're after I guess. I'm paying €72 for gold skis having booked early. They come in at €83 if booked now. You must be looking at platinum prices which are huge. Absolutely no need for those with my family skiing.
ski holidays
Only one of us can justify platinum. The rest of us are buying into the "gold" standard which is about €50 now with Precision. It's just when those 30-40 extra euros are multplied up that the costs start to get more significant. If it was just my better half and I'd be happy with any of the prices I think
ski holidays
I get your point. Just my experience with Precision was they give you old battered skis whichever grade you pay for and the low cost was for good reason. Perhaps only in Edenarc, wouldn't know their shops elsewhere. But compared to Skiset, Sport2000 they were much worse, and Intersport last year were better than most. Always individual shop dependent though.
ski holidays
larkim wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@larkim,
www.tignes-spirit.com

Thanks - quite pricey compared to the "cheap as chips" option I was looking at. Convince me it's worth the extra?

Tignes Spirit are a really good company and have always sorted out my guests wonderfully, also they do a discount of 40% if you book via the link on my site: https://dartbus.co.uk/our-partners
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Nottinghamski, @ski, Thank you both for the replies. I have measured the car with the roof box and comes in at 225cm so should fit. Have booked ESF. Had there been space in Evo2, I would have preferred them but ESF are surely a good ski school (please no replies about how bad they are and all the terrible experiences that they have had with ESF!).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy