Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Opinions for Feb 12 - 26 Ski Trip to Andermatt and Trois Vallee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Would appreciate all opinions on an upcoming ski trip to Andermatt and Trois Vallee scheduled Feb 12 - 26 2023. I am from the USA and have the option to cancel all comittments on this trip with no penalty by Feb 4th 2023. The 2 resorts were chosen to max out the use of my Epic Pass. Really want to ski some good conditions with ample side/back country opportunities and I will have a touring setup with me. So I am a bit worried that conditions might not improve, and I know this is very difficult to predict. My alternative option would be to ski closer to home (Colorado, Utah, British Columbia, etc) with perhaps a bit higher probability for more optimal conditions. So if you are familiar with conditions now at either resort and can add in some crystal ball gazing, how would you predict the trip might turn out on a scale of 1 to 5?

1 - Terrible
2 - Pretty bad
3 - Marginal
4 - Good
5 - Great

Many thanks!

Craig
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would predict 3

The forecast outlook for the first half of February is currently cold but quite dry (especially dry for the 3 Valleys). Piste skiing should be fine, off piste might be less good or tracked out. Later in February is guesswork as you've mentioned already.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to Snowheads, @Powderhound77, Can't help with your dilemma - @denfinella reads the runes (and the models) and is probably right. But it doesn't sound like a terrible dilemma!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
go to österreich instead it's getting nuked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Powderhound77, I wouldn’t do it. Forecast out to 20th Feb looks dry. It may change but if it doesn’t there will have been no new snowfall for a month by the time you arrive. And looks like the US getting puked on again from some reports from Jackson Hole
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also, 3V will be rammed as it's French school hols.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Powderhound77, Welcome to SHs.

Practical question, how are you planning on travelling between the two places? I assume car?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/180days.asp?zipcode=Lucerne&locationID=65418&lat=47.1&lon=8.3

metcheck does very long range forecasts, of course the further out you go the more the accuracy drops off but it doesn't reckon that you will get precipitation in Lucerne (nearish Andrematt) till the 23rd of Feb which isn't promising
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, good point re. French school holidays.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like there are some Arlberg areas on the Epic pass so maybe shift your focus from the 3 Valleys to there?

Not sure what your flight plans are but it’s probably no more painful to go from Arlberg to Andermatt than it is to do 3V to Andermatt
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Definitely cancel. It's a long way to come for sub optimal conditions and there isn't anything in the runes to suggest they won't be.

Especially given you have much closer alternatives with probably better conditions.

I presume you can't move the trip back a month - mid-March will be much quieter and it can't stay dry forever (well....)...?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Andermatt is superb in fresh powder, but once the powder is gone I think the piste skiing is limited and some is quite demanding.

It now has better links to neighbouring Sedrun, however the pistes there are fairly cruisy from what I recall and comprises the sort of terrain you could find in many other places.

If you can change your plans then I would do so.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy