Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

For those that know Val Cenis - question...

Poster: A snowHead
Some a bit of local knowledge of possible please.

We are going to be staying at Residence Led Chalets de Flambeau, very near to the Pre Novel chair i believe.

It looks like we can jump on this chair, or even the Plans Des Champs short drag and hop over to the Vieux Moulin gondola to head higher and access much of the area.

I'm wondering though, how to head for Termignon, and can i do this without needing to use the ski bus? Nothing against them, but much prefer to ski my way around. EG, Can i get to the Turra chair via blues/greens (will have new skiers with me). I'm thinking that we get to the top of the Arcellins chair and then plot out way down to the Turra. Does that seem to work?

On the reverse, heading back from Termignon, does the Traverse blue get us close enough to the Ramasse chair to get us back on the 'home' side for us?

I know we can find all this out when we get there, but my son had some additional needs, and will benefit from having this knowledge before we go.

A little context, up until a few days ago, my son was planning to board, so we started the process on the local dry slope with 1-2-1 lessons. He's done well, but wasn't well enough for the follow up lesson, so that's been delayed. Her has since told me that he wants to stick with skiing... This will be his, and his sister's first trip to the mountains, so skiing suits me better, as I can least help them as I've skied many weeks. They are both competent skiers in the dry slope, and we have had many sessions, so choosing Val Cenis was partly due to extensive greens/blues.

Also, any suggestions for reasonable food options for the evening - 16 year old son, 17 year old daughter, so high end not needed, but pizza etc would be high on the list.

Sorry but the essay.... Cheers all.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think pre novel lift may just serve that local parky bit for loop round in there, dont think it'll lift you high enough to connect. I may be wrong in detail here as not usually right in that section.

EDIT;- pre novel looks OK (its plan d champs that serves the park) to lift you high enough to get the gondola. Good detail/resolution piste maps here at bottom on site to click on https://www.powderhounds.com/Europe/France/Val-Cenis.aspx?template=Resort_ResortRatings that give fairly good perspective of VC & Termignon.

Generally, from Llansvillard it all moves gently downhill to llanselbourg and parallel to the road going left to right on piste map.

Meaning if you want more altitude to connect you ordinarily have to turn right when looking at pistemap orientation (towards llanselbourg) to easily get the most high reaching lift.

Termignon direction, just head along to llanselbourg, big connect lift straight over there from village. They'll often return you (back down the same chair) if snow conditions don't allow competent traverse from Termignon in your way back. No buses needed. When you get back to llanselbourg (it's a nice trip down on the chair actually, with great views) the chair base is shared with another chair going straight up to altitude in val cenis again, just walk round the barrier and hop on to access the wider val cenis pisted domain, and to return to Flambeau too.

The connects are logical and easy to see when you're there, viewing on a map can't always convey that.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 28-01-23 14:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SHAP, "Also, any suggestions for reasonable food options for the evening - 16 year old son, 17 year old daughter, so high end not needed, but pizza etc would be high on the list"

We've ordinarily stayed at tge far left end Llansvillard, so not quite tge intimate experience of your location. Nothing is particularly far apart though and so pretty easy to use generally.
There's a particularly good wood fired pizza restaurant in Llansvillard, at reasonable cost too and highly recommended. Are you driving there ? As its easy to move around and park evening wise anyway.

As I've noted before, blue piste access right to peak is absolutely excellent in my view here, let's everyone experience all of the area with relative ease while progressing their skills too.

Termignon has a good restaurant if lunch needed too. You'll find that easily as all the slopes revolve around that plateau on which its located.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also to mention l'Escargot green piste is the summer road pass to italy, wide, flat, very gentle for a skier and amusing in that all the road signs are in place Very Happy is absolutely ideal to gently bring ski skills on in snow conditions (as opposed to dry slope) as you're more likely to need pole pushing in some places the gradient is so gentle. Let's anyone find their feet without eating confidence though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pizza in Llansvillard https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1236204-d2549599-Reviews-Le_Terroir_Savoyard-Lanslevillard_Val_Cenis_Savoie_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes.html also a takeout pizza place about 150 mtrs away, plus other places to eat there, not far to walk in the evening, probably about 20 mins from your location.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ski3, great info, many thanks. Yes, we are driving, but also happy to have a little walk about in the evening for dinner, so options in Llandsvillard will certainly be on the list.

I think we will def plan for lunch at Termingnon - as you say, it seems to all flow back to the plateau.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pre Novel or Plan Des Champs would get you onto the lower part of Escargot, which will allow you to get to the bottom lifts in Lanslebourg. Then easy to get to Termignon and back using Tura, generally downlift on Tura also.
Then Ramasse lift and Escargot/Chamois for an easy run back. Or Ramasse, then Mont Cenis for a longer run back.

Plenty of great places to eat in both villages, Lanslebourg: Le Napolean for pizza, Lansivillard: Howards Pub would be the recomendations for the teenagers.

Regular Navette buses between the villages also
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was in the Lanslevillard Bois de Cerf pizza place last week.... be sure to make a reservation, it is excellent and very popular.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@srobbo, @kateezdad, thanks both, will note the suggestions.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just booked a short break there in later March. Glad to get any inside info you're prepared to share.
But the first question is, is there a Navette/shuttle between the various base stations, and if so does it run in the evenings?
We are staying in Lanslebourg.
Thanks
CW
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cardweg, https://hmvt.download/SitesWeb/hmv-guide-mobilite.pdf
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt wrote:

Very useful, Cheers
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nbt wrote:

Thank you!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From today’s Grauniad…
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/mar/14/easter-skiing-french-alps-vanoise-ski-france
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cardweg wrote:
From today’s Grauniad…
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/mar/14/easter-skiing-french-alps-vanoise-ski-france

Nice, though we need to keep it a secret...
ski holidays
I'm wondering though, how to head for Termignon, and can i do this without needing to use the ski bus? Nothing against them, but much prefer to ski my way around.

We nipped over to our place last weekend for a few days skiing and unless there is a large dump of snow I would be avoiding skiing down to Termignon, there was just a slither of wet claggy snow in the Village which was not pleasant. I can however recommend Rock’Fuge as a place to stop to eat at the Replat des Cannons and top of the flambeau run back towards lanslebourg.

The traverse run back was also closed due to lack of snow so you’ll likely need to get the Turra lift back.

La Ferme duXXIII is also worth a stop and it’s quite interesting watching goats, cows and sheep through the glass flooring while sipping a cold beer (or tasty hot chocolate)

Would also thoroughly recommend a trip up the valley to Bonneval Sur Arc as it has some lovely skiing and a great view from 3,000 meters.
latest report
andmelffion wrote:

We nipped over to our place last weekend for a few days skiing and unless there is a large dump of snow I would be avoiding skiing down to Termignon.

Would also thoroughly recommend a trip up the valley to Bonneval Sur Arc as it has some lovely skiing and a great view from 3,000 meters.

Hopefully there’ll be a bit of snow this week and that the forecast rain will actually be snow up on the hill. We’re for Lanslebourg next week so good to know about the lack of snow on the way down to Termignon.

As for Bonneval-sur-Arc, the article suggests that the whole valley is covered on the same pass. I assume that it’s mostly your “own” resort with a free day in the others, but do you know if that’s only for passes of a certain duration?

Thanks
CW snowHead
snow report
As for Bonneval-sur-Arc, the article suggests that the whole valley is covered on the same pass. I assume that it’s mostly your “own” resort with a free day in the others, but do you know if that’s only for passes of a certain duration?

We have an annual pass so I’m not entirely sure but believe the 6 day pass will give you the ‘free’ day at other resorts. It is cheaper to buy the passes online and collect on arrival than it is to buy in resort.

You will drive through Termignon, which is a lovely little village, on the way up to Val Cenis so you will see the lack of snow low down and I doubt this weeks rain has done much for it sadly.

Link to show 6 day pass and validity below….just picked a random date of starting to ski 26th March so you’d need to change dates to show exact price to suit your visit…… https://www.valcenis.ski/en/purchase-path/product-details/10908?date=2023-03-26

Have a great trip.
ski holidays
Thanks @andmelffion, I expected as much. Unfortunately we’re only there for 4 days & passes already bought. Oh well.

Any thoughts on driving from GVA: autoroute via Chambery or national routes v Annecy Ugine & Albertville?
Leaving GVA at 8pm there seems to be about an hour and a lot of toll fees difference..
ski holidays
cardweg wrote:
Thanks @andmelffion, I expected as much. Unfortunately we’re only there for 4 days & passes already bought. Oh well.

Any thoughts on driving from GVA: autoroute via Chambery or national routes v Annecy Ugine & Albertville?
Leaving GVA at 8pm there seems to be about an hour and a lot of toll fees difference..

That should be fine through Annecy etc at that time of evening. One of my favourite drives down along the lake from Annecy too, and better than the autoroute view by miles.
snow conditions
cardweg wrote:

My last trip from GVA was approx €54 in toll fees for a return trip but if you turn off and take the Annecy route there is't a huge amount of time difference and the roads shuld be pretty clear
latest report
The national routes should be fine - depends how you feel on the night, really. It'll be dark and that does complicate driving on unfamiliar roads, especially on the right! Are you renting a Swiss car which will have the Swiss motorway thingy?
latest report
I set my satnav to "parking stade nautique" in Annecy as its down by the lake and on the road to Albertville, switch to no tolls and it'll take you straight there from Geneva on local routes (from Geneva to Annecy auto and national are intertwined, same distance ) but that parking location will easily route you competently through Annecy and it's environs effectively.

Have a look on goggle to see that parking location.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
The national routes should be fine - depends how you feel on the night, really. It'll be dark and that does complicate driving on unfamiliar roads, especially on the right! Are you renting a Swiss car which will have the Swiss motorway thingy?

Happy enough on the wrong side of the road as long as I’m the right side of the car.
Hiring from the Swiss side so am expecting a vignette.
Nighttime should be ok if there’s not too much traffic.
The only real question is the weather, I think.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy