Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler Trip Report Jan/Feb 2023

Poster: A snowHead
just back from a 2 week rip to Whistler and thought I'd add my tuppence worth.

Background - went out to visit my daughter who is working as an instructor with the ski school. Went with my wife and our friends, who's son is also working for the ski school. This was our 1st visit but our friends and son have been many times over the years.
Flew with BA from Edinburgh via Heathrow, which was alright but nothing special. Door to door travel time each way around 20 hours or so.

Stayed at Blackcomb Spring Suites right on the piste in Blackcomb, so it was difficult to beat in terms of location but it was a bit of an uphill walk on the piste if you did not get the local free bus - probably better staying at The Aspens if you want on piste action as it was lower down. The room was good enough but you felt as though the whole place just needed a bit of a refresh - nothing major but the bathroom etc was a bit dated and not boot driers etc. No bar/coffee shop either which let it down. Hot tubs and pool were very good though. Accommodation is a massive issue over there both as a visitor but especially so for those working/living there.

The skiing Overall I was very impressed with the skiing. Lots of variety from very little uplift. What did let it down however was the uplift itself - very old/dated for such a premier resort. Even the new gondola from Creekside looked dated. The gondolas did open at 8.15 which was good BUT be aware of horrendous queues if you want to ski weekends. The queues last Saturday were the worst I have ever seen at a ski area with some folks saying that they had to wait 2 hours to get up the hill. Once you are up the hill, any queues are usually fine and well organised. All the chairs are old when comparing with the likes of Austria - no comfy chairs and no bubbles to protect from the wind/snow/rain. Favourite runs included Dave Murray downhill, Back stage Pass, Rock n roll and some of the stuff on Harmony. Skied 12 out of 14 days and could easily have done 14/14 but opted to spend some time with our daughter instead.

The snow was ok but very variable. High up was fine the whole 2 weeks, even though it had been a pretty dry spell. The time we were there is snowed fairly frequently but not massively so and this was rain at resort level/mid station down. This meant that the runs lower down were like skiing in spring. We did get a dump of 15-20cm on top on our last day which meant nice snow up top, but again due to the high freezing level, this was very heavy snow lower down (I literally had to pole going downhill at one point) Shocked In my opinion the snow was no better than I would get in Austria in January but was certainly worse.

Apres/eating out I do like my apres so was pleasantly surprised with Merlins over in Blackcomb. Live band on Mon/Wed/Fri and the place was rocking until 6.30 then the place shuts essentially. The same band plays Tue/Thurs over in Dusty's/Rusty's??? in Creekside. Longhorns at the base in Whistler was rocking every day but more of a Folie Douce vibe, so not quite my scene. Eating up the hill is an absolute pain. Have to queue for different types of food, eg one queue for hot dogs, another for say pizza, another for soups/salads and then other queues to pay for it and then good luck trying to get a table. Better eating in the village IMO. The food was good when you got it though. Eating out in the village is good but again can be difficult to get a seat if you have not booked.

Price-wise, everything was not as bad as I expected to eat out/drink. Buying food in the supermarkets however is another thing - so expensive compared to UK/Europe - I would say at least double the price of UK.

Overall we had a great holiday and was great seeing my daughter. Would I return? Probably not but will undoubtedly to do so to see my girl - but would do so in summer/autumn and save the ski trip for my faves in Europe.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting report @boabski, thanks for sharing it. Glad you enjoyed seeing your daughter and hope she’s enjoying her time there
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice Smile
If you do go in summer I’d be curious to know if you find it cheaper or more expensive. I learned of Banff just as a ski town, was subsequently amazed to find it was more expensive in summer than in winter (national park beauty). And we know how in demand Vancouver is as a place to live in the world, it regularly makes top 10 lists.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good report @boabski. Cheers.

We loved Whistler - but it was over 25 years since we were there. I've heard it's a lot busier since then.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Orange200, based on a quick check for the same room we had, it's about half the price we paid. From what we heard from speaking with locals etc it seems that a lot more accommodation is available in summer. Apparently Vail make a loss in winter due to the amount of staff needed to operate the lifts, run snow machines etc and make their profit in summer. Not sure if this is an urban myth or not mind you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok thanks. I did my check perhaps 20 years ago, and as I had no interest in going to Banff in the summer I never updated that info Smile I was just surprised at the time that a hotel in a “ski resort” (my view) was cheaper during ski season!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also went 20 years ago, enjoyed it and would like to go back. But 2 hours queue from a valley gondola sounds horrendous! Guessing the lift pass isn’t cheap either? Friends went in the Summer and said the bike park was amazing, although very expensive.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH, about CAD 200 for a daypass!
A bit cheaper if you buy in advance or for multiple days. epic pass is probably the way to go if you are able to use it elsewhere
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BobinCH, epic pass bought in advance was only a wee bit more than say an Arlberg pass if using for 2 weeks. A weeks pass will work out more. We managed to get a 50% staff discount thanks to our daughter for the 2 days we skied after our 10 day epic pass expired. That came in at £72 per day so would be around £140-150 per day without discount. Epic pass can also be used in Andermatt (I think) and Arlberg for 3 days if you buy the super duper epic pass
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also I think the epic pass is an all year round thing too
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Must have been lovely to visit your daughter, @boabski, but for the rest - why would you bother? No way would I contemplate queueing for 2 hours.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Must have been lovely to visit your daughter, @boabski, but for the rest - why would you bother? No way would I contemplate queueing for 2 hours.

Because it's all in the timing & a bit of know how? I spent 8 days there last winter and only a few lift lines were beyond pleasant and after a lap or so they usually dissipated. It's nowhere near as quiet as interior BC resorts but it compares favourable to a French mega factory in Feb.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Because it's all in the timing & a bit of know how?

To be fair, people say the same about French mega factories…!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

it compares favourable to a French mega factory in Feb.

Yeah but, anybody with any choice who goes to a French mega factory in Feb is a bit nuts
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boabski wrote:
Also I think the epic pass is an all year round thing too

All year round for sightseeing, but need a separate pass for the bike park.

Though fairly steep, pass prices in Whistler (even day rates) are not that out of whack with everywhere else in BC considering the size difference.
Epic pass is actually cheaper than my WB season pass used to be, plus I got 7 days at KH, which is nice because that isn't cheap either! That is Vails business model, and from a business perspective it is a good one as they get to sell a vast number of passes up front with no future weather dependent risks.

For your summer return, Whistler is nice enough, and if downhill biking is your thing obviously has a lot going for it, however apart from the Joyride at Crankworx which is quite an amazing event, personally, I don't see a lot of reasons to go there rather than Vancouver/North-shore, Vancouver Island, Squamish (esp if biking/climbing is your thing), the rest of BC,...
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Also went 20 years ago, enjoyed it and would like to go back. But 2 hours queue from a valley gondola sounds horrendous! Guessing the lift pass isn’t cheap either? Friends went in the Summer and said the bike park was amazing, although very expensive.

2hr queues are a holiday/ weekend problem , easily negated if you tour with some great local options near by , or just by having a late morning start , lift pass costs makes it much better to take a two week trip and buy the epic pass , then not bad value compared to NA standard , the sea to sky region inc the island is simply one of the best places in the world to visit if you ride an Mtb , and whistler bike park is a must , but not the only highlight for sure Cool
snow conditions
Orange200 wrote:
Ok thanks. I did my check perhaps 20 years ago, and as I had no interest in going to Banff in the summer I never updated that info Smile I was just surprised at the time that a hotel in a “ski resort” (my view) was cheaper during ski season!

Same is true of Jackson Hole and Lake Tahoe. Those are summer destinations first and skiing a bit of an afterthought.

Shame you won’t be returning to Banff in the summer. It’s fantastic!
latest report
Whistler wins for the running man!
https://youtube.com/shorts/IhntdhDHsTk?feature=share
latest report
@boabski, Thanks for the report.

One to avoid by the sounds of it.
ski holidays
@Dabber,
I also wonder if a 2hr queue is actually a 2 hour queue, or just it feels like it? I've been halfway down the village (nearly at the grocery store) once in COVID times when loading capacity was very limited, but still pretty sure the time from opening to uploading was nothing close to 2 hours. I guess if you get in the line at 6am, it would be a 2 hour wait! Madeye-Smiley
Upload capacity from Whistler, Blackcomb, and now creekside is pretty high. Upload from Whistler would be even higher if people didn't stand in the village gondola lineup when Fitzsimmons is mostly empty! Shocked wink
I think the only time I actually waited more than 2 hours was for freshtracks on a 40 cm day when I got there at about 5am - turned out it was 40 cementntimetres so never did that again! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@boabski, we went up that Saturday too and the queues were really long so we didn't stay. We were in the Creekside queue for an hour, queueing down to the highway, and then at Red chair for at least 40 minutes so, yes, almost two hours to get up the mountain. And the snow wasn't that great either. The queue for the Garbanzo chair was the worst I've ever seen it. Luckily it's been reasonably quiet during the week and that's when we had the best skiing. I agree that it felt like spring skiing that week but the freezing level has been yoyo-ing somewhat. They're also down on average this year in terms of snow.

Our daughter is working for ski school this season too. Which pod is yours at? Ours is teaching in the kids dailies program at the base in Whistler. We're going back next month for another 5 weeks. Crossing fingers for more snow.
ski holidays
@stuarth, nice to see you're still on SH Toofy Grin
ski holidays
geetee wrote:
@stuarth, nice to see you're still on SH Toofy Grin

Nice to see you are too Toofy Grin

We were at Red Mountain that weekend so missed out on the Whistler chaos. The lineups were pretty bad at Red too - I think once there was almost 10 or so people in front of us! Shocked Madeye-Smiley
Whistler lineups were pretty much non-existent last Saturday (strange!), and snow and viz was pretty decent - just one big line first thing in the morning for green (strange!) so went to Blackcomb which was good all day.
snow report
Nice to see you are too

Occasionally Very Happy

The lineups were pretty bad at Red too - I think once there was almost 10 or so people in front of us!

That many!

I guess the queues will be building again next weekend for Presidents week and BC family day.
snow report
@boabski, have been twice in the last 7 years and my comments would be pretty much the same as yours. The village is really pretty at night and it was great when snowing but the quality of the snow deteriorated quickly after it stopped I believe this is due to it low altitude but also proximity to the coast. Mrs MM wants to go back because of how pretty it is but I feel I’ve been there got the T-shirt. Good experience to go but I think you can get better value for your money in Europe and without the jet lag.
snow report
As I've said elsewhere - I've been to Banff a few times for two weeks over Easter weekend. I don't ski for the Sat and Sun when the queues and slopes are mad, I do something else. The rest of the queues are quite manageable. Another technique would be to book a lesson during peak times, to be allowed to jump the queue. Or, as said, time your arrivals or coffee breaks accordingly. Though the slopes can still be quite crowded, relatively.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy