Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan in late March without the faff

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have 4-5 days to spend in Japan in late March. I've been to Niseko/Hirafu before and found it relatively easy to get there from Haneda with the flight and bus transfer. I also like the centralized aspect of the ski in-out hotels in Grand Hirafu to explore all four linked areas.

Is Hakuba just as easy to get to and get around or are the combinations of rail and bus transfers and inter-area shuttles more cumbersome?

Basically, wondering if I'm missing out on anything special by leaning towards Niseko.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last time I did Hakuba I hopped on a bus from Tokyo and it took about 3 hours. Dead easy. The place we were staying provided transport to and from the resorts so not sure how accessible they are otherwise.

I’m looking at Myoko for my next trip out there. Looks like you can get the bullet straight there from Tokyo and is a bit less Aussie Snow Disneyland than Niseko by all accounts so may be worth checking out too
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Rowan23, a trip of Akakura kanko, one of the main Myoko area resorts. Lotte Arai looks very cool in that area as well although I didn't visit, the train from Tokyo is easy

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1631050

@66inDC, I got the impression that late March was well into spring for Japan, maybe someone could comment whether the North facing slopes and slightly higher altitude of Happo One for example is likely to give better skiing than Niseko or if Niseko's higher latitude and greater snowfall makes it the better bet
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's been about 8 years since I was in Hakuba, but found it VERY easy to get to (direct shuttle bus from Haneda) and to get around.

There are regular shuttle buses running to the component resorts / sections, and we took those to Happo, Goryu, 47 and Cortina with absolutely no knowledge of the Japanese language.

They get a lot of Australians visiting so are more than prepared for English-language tourists.

Staying in Hakuba within walking distance of the tourist office / bus station would be my suggestion as it worked brilliantly for us. Will see if I can find the name of the excellent family-run place we stayed in.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
More chance of getting better snow in Niseko at the end of March

It will be deserted by then
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rowan23 wrote:
Last time I did Hakuba I hopped on a bus from Tokyo and it took about 3 hours. Dead easy. The place we were staying provided transport to and from the resorts so not sure how accessible they are otherwise.

I’m looking at Myoko for my next trip out there. Looks like you can get the bullet straight there from Tokyo and is a bit less Aussie Snow Disneyland than Niseko by all accounts so may be worth checking out too

Just got back home after a couple of weeks in Myoko. Nice spot. Bullet train goes from Tokyo to Nagano, then a local train to Myoko. I hired a car in Nagano and drove to Myoko, which was worth doing, and had a look round quite a few different areas that aren't so easy to get to on shuttles etc.

Lotte is cool, has a great policy for off piste, but TBH I thought it was a bit of a poo-poo fight on a good powder day. Plenty of mellow places to go, without having to deal with frothing powder junkies - reminded me of NZ in some ways. Really enjoyed Suginohara and Ikenotaira in the trees with some (loads of Very Happy ) new snow. Togakushi was also fun but ski patrol were a bit hard to avoid Very Happy Akakura Kanko was good, but a fair bit busier that the other Myoko areas. Seki Onsen was epic with half a metre of good new snow.

I liked Myoko, will definitely go back there again.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@66inDC, when my son was at Waseda University in Tokyo I met up for a late March week in Shiga Kogen. Had a great time though it was well into spring (Sakura season in Tokyo). We were lucky as Shiga Kogen had the most snowfall in Japan that week.

Travel pretty easy with Shinkansen to Nagano and bus right outside the station. Several other destinations served by bus also but not sure about Hakuba.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow wrote:

you can hear more advice from Mike in Episode 170 of The Ski Podcast Happy
https://audioboom.com/posts/8252842-170-roccaraso-alto-sangro-rusutsu-japan-la-plagne
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow wrote:

So I ended up doing Niseko March 19-21. While it wasn't deserted, it was definitely quieter than in February. As expected, the powder was done and it was quite warm at the base, but everything above mid-mountain was great with bluebird skies.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
66inDC wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

So I ended up doing Niseko March 19-21. While it wasn't deserted, it was definitely quieter than in February. As expected, the powder was done and it was quite warm at the base, but everything above mid-mountain was great with bluebird skies.

Good to hear

Uncharacteristically warm & dry this March
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can always chase the cherry blossoms
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gored wrote:
Can always chase the cherry blossoms

Only on Honshu

Cherry Blossom Season is forecast to start in Hakodate (Southern most point of Hokkaido) at the end of April
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy