Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quietest big resort in French Alps this week

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
anyone got a suggestion for which will be the quietest big French resort in the Alps this week for a day's skiing, probably talking about the Savoie. I'm thinking la Plagne if I can avoid Belle Plagne bottleneck.

and don't suggest I go another week please, school holidays are now - not in March.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always struggle with La Plagne, feels like everything is always in and out of the different villages and so don't escape the crowds. Never been at half term, but would of thought the mammoth capacity and scale of 3 Valley lifts would take some beating.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skiyeah wrote:
I always struggle with La Plagne, feels like everything is always in and out of the different villages and so don't escape the crowds. Never been at half term, but would of thought the mammoth capacity and scale of 3 Valley lifts would take some beating.

There are a lot of bottlenecks, it is true. I'm actually wondering if I can afford the eye watering three valleys lift pass this year, I think they've jumped the shark a bit
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val Cenis.

You can park too Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And pass cost is more palatable.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, Val Cenis is not a bad idea and agree about parking. Hate these ski resorts that make you seem like a leper if you turn up in a car.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Meribel or Courchevel. Everyone thinks because the world champs are on that all the pistes are closed!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
Yeah, Val Cenis is not a bad idea and agree about parking. Hate these ski resorts that make you seem like a leper if you turn up in a car.

I'd go right to far end, Llansvillard and mooch around to park there. Jump on the little gondola right by pass office, then six pax straight up onto mountain. You may find a place in the "haut" accommodation area going spare, there's direct piste access down to pass office too if you get something convenient there.

Avoid main gondola up as that seems to be focus of visiting capacity too, thats the one between the two villages of llanselbourg and Llansvillard.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@davidof, what about from where you are Vaujany, and then up into ADH, although the long trail back down might be suspect, but I'd be surprised if they have not prepped that well for the holidays?

And what's this doing in the off-piste section?

That said time the day right this week, Wednesday, and there should be good Spring on offer.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof, what counts as big? La Plagne has too much beds for their skiing area. 3V same, with Méribel better than VT and Courchevel better than Méribel. They both built like crazy over the last 15 years. EK I don't know, it's been too long, but I suspect the same. Les Arcs is quieter than Plagne. Grand Domaine is much quieter than all of the above with Galibier-Thabor pretty similar. Les Sybelles sees some more people, but doesn't get overcrowded neither.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were up at les 7 laux today, surprisingly quiet for a Sunday at the start of holidays, which gives some hope for later in the week. They had the lifts running at normal speed, rather than the go slow we had over Christmas.

I'm quite taken with heading up the Maurienne but it is a long valley. Thanks for the tips.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski3 wrote:
Val Cenis.
davidof wrote:
We were up at les 7 laux today

"Big" ?

The only answer really is none of them. Yeah, technically some will be less busy than others, but none of them would really deserve to be called quiet, so quietest doesn't really exist, IMV.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
ski3 wrote:
Val Cenis.
davidof wrote:
We were up at les 7 laux today

"Big" ?

The only answer really is none of them. Yeah, technically some will be less busy than others, but none of them would really deserve to be called quiet, so quietest doesn't really exist, IMV.

Well the 7 laux was quiet today, so maybe unicorns exist.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidof, Go to an extreme of la Plagne - Montalbert is fairly quiet looking at the webcam there was only a rush for the lift from 9.00 to 9.30 and even a couple of spaces in the main car park. Bonus of course is the ability to lunch at Union https://www.unionmontalbert.com/en/home/
Montchavin another good option with perhaps more piste than Montalbert.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks for the idea @ski3, we finally settled on Val Cenis having read all the trip reports here and on other sites such as skipass.

I drive over the col de Mont Cenis a lot (in summer !) so it is nice to ski on the actual road.

No crowds or queues, too far for day trippers.

Off piste: chalky snow on shaded slopes. Spring snow, sometimes a bit too over cooked on sunny aspects. Hard snow on piste, like really hard snow.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy