Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Clip-on ski climb-assist motor prototype

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
TL;DR:
I'm prototyping a battery powered climb-assist motor to help you ascend a slope. You then unclip it, throw it in a backpack and ski down. Ever tried anything like this before? Would this sort of thing interest you?

Longer version:

I prototype electronics and mechanical stuff for fun.

As a teenager I wondered about how to access remote slopes that didn't have any lifts without someone having to sit out of skiing and be a snowmobile driver. I thought about powered skis but ultimately realised that the maths didn't stack up: you'd have to lug a heavy engine and fuel around with you, or a chunky electric motor and a heavy lead acid battery. I also thought that adapting a ski to carry a motor would probably hobble the ski somewhat, spoiling the ski down.

I've since seen people propel themselves up the slopes using a microlight engine without a wing, and using these lean-on lawnmower petrol engine things. Both are chunky and would markedly affect the ski down.

Anyway, technology has progressed over the last 20 years. Lithium ion battery packs are much more energy dense, and can output higher currents so can run more powerful motors. Motors have become much smaller per watt with a 1kW brushless DC motor now easily fitting in the palm of your hand. So I thought I'd revisit my teenage idea. This time the maths do seem to stack up. A 5kg Li-ion battery pack could easily give an 90kg person 1500m of vertical climb per charge, taking into account motor efficiency, slope friction, drag losses and discharge safety margins.

I've come up with a rough design which clips onto the back of ordinary ski boots and contacts the snow. The battery pack sits in a backpack. At the top, you unclip the motors from the boots, sling them in your backpack and ski down. The total weight will probably be around 10kg.

I'm going to build a prototype and start the process of a few rounds of tweaking to get around the inevitable practical oversights.

I just wondered: would this sort of thing interest you? Have you seen or tried anything like this before?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
like this?

http://youtube.com/v/cJWkM531Keg
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought it was March the 5th, not April the 1st.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haha! That's the idea, though less lightweight and for real.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jmr59 wrote:
I thought it was March the 5th, not April the 1st.

March is the new April, or something.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
there is this one too

http://youtube.com/v/gNBm8etWito
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or there's this individual battery powered rope tow: https://gearjunkie.com/technology/gadgets/zoa-personal-ski-lift
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The powered rope tow is a really neat idea! I supposed the tow length per charge is limited by what total weight is comfortable to hold. It still requires the initial walk up though. They could make the battery capacity extensible with an external plug in battery pack which could go in a backpack.

The fact that they've successfully completed a kickstarter tells me that there probably is wider interest in this idea.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@michaeljtbrooks, heard of ski touring?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@michaeljtbrooks, love the idea! Send one to Verbier and I’ll test it for you
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy