Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maurienne/ Val Cenis 22/23

Poster: A snowHead
Another option is from the top of the Ramasse chair. It's a standing start but you're a bit higher up.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SHAP, thinking about this some more - if this warm, wet snow that is forecast arrives soon then Goulet might be in decent condition. I don't remember it being steep at all but then I don't have kids in tow so my perception will be different.

It's an interesting corner to get to and the little Buffa lift is button on a rope thing and is mostly dead flat. From the top there's a little bit of poling/skating to the restaurant. It used to be a prime stopping place when the col was one of the main routes to Italy. There's a picture on the wall of an old Foden lorry slogging up the hill. The woman in charge tells a great story about the railway, and the Brits who built it, that used to cross the col here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Cenis_Pass_Railway
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis wrote:
uffa lift is button on a rope thing and is mostly dead flat. From the top there's a little bit of poling/skating to the restaurant. It used to be a prime stopping place when the col was one of the main routes to Italy. There's a picture on the wall of an old Foden lorry slogging up the hill. The woman in charge tells a great story about the railway, and the Brits who built it, that used to cross the col here.

she must be very old, the cog railway closed in the early 1870s when the tunnel was finished. My son has just done a short project on it for his engineering school. The track was moved to CH and Brazil.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Little bit of snow overnight and a fantastic morning of piste skiing, came back at lunchtime for baby duties but Mrs rambotion definitely got the short straw as it is pissing it down now at resort level. Will either post photos of a great powder morning tomorrow or a very green resort!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rain to pretty high up overnight, approx to the base of the Solert chair, above that the pistes are fantastic and the off piste is nice where sheltered, some faces are nice a d soft and some are very wund affected

http://youtube.com/v/_FUbn9kmKsQ
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rambotion wrote:
Rain to pretty high up overnight, approx to the base of the Solert chair, above that the pistes are fantastic and the off piste is nice where sheltered, some faces are nice a d soft and some are very wund affected

http://youtube.com/v/_FUbn9kmKsQ

Thanks for the update. Depending on which forecast you read, the next lot of snow may, or may not, come with a lower FL, so maybe the village will get a fresh lot.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SHAP wrote:
rambotion wrote:
...above that the pistes are fantastic and the off piste is nice where sheltered, some faces are nice a d soft and some are very wund affected

Thanks for the update. Depending on which forecast you read, the next lot of snow may, or may not, come with a lower FL, so maybe the village will get a fresh lot.

Thanks @rambotion - keep the reports coming

@SHAP - let's hope so, 10 days and counting... snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cardweg wrote:
SHAP wrote:
rambotion wrote:
...above that the pistes are fantastic and the off piste is nice where sheltered, some faces are nice a d soft and some are very wund affected

Thanks @rambotion - keep the reports coming

Unless you are there for a while, we'll miss each other, so leave some good snow. We go first Easter week.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is no skiing zone in Termignon indicated on the piste map near the sources chair, does anyone have a map or explanation that shows the boundaries better than the piste map does? I'm think of some mellow touring in the area tomorrow
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SHAP wrote:
cardweg wrote:

Unless you are there for a while, we'll miss each other, so leave some good snow. We go first Easter week.

We’ll be gone by the time you get there, but I promise to leave you some snow NehNeh snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rambotion wrote:
There is no skiing zone in Termignon indicated on the piste map near the sources chair, does anyone have a map or explanation that shows the boundaries better than the piste map does? I'm think of some mellow touring in the area tomorrow

I bought local large scale map when there last (can't immediately find it to look) from shop in llanselbourg tgat may help you.

I buy them for the areas when visiting as like to look at local details around me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rambotion, I think the no skiing zone is there to protect the tree roots. There's lots of fencing with big notices telling you to keep out. Although, it has to be said, there are a number gaps with a few ski tracks through them.

For a mellow tour, I'd suggest one that offpisteskiing once took us on when the weather was foul - but you'll need to get hold of the 1:25K map 3634OT and follow the blue dashed line. The route starts at the Replat des Canons at the top of Roches Blanches then heads almost due south (with a bit of a wiggle) to the Col de Sollieres (2638m). There, if you're feeling fit you can boot up to the remains of the fort on the shoulder of Mont Froid. Then return the way you came. Stay towards the foot of the valley and away from the steep sides. It seems reasonably popular. When we were there a bunch of squaddies had put in a nice line for us.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rambotion, basically as long as you don't cross the 'birdie' fences, and don't obviously cut straight back under them then that seems to pretty much be fine. ie if you want to traverse out towards Chalet Suiffet from the Grand Coin drag that is fine...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Best touring option from the resort, though, is the Pointe de Ronce (3611m). Starts from the top of the Plan Cardinal chair (2520m, upper left of the piste map). From the summit you can ski down the Glacier d'Arcelle and straight onwards towards P.1967m where you turn left into the woods and return to the resort via a route forestière.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@offpisteskiing, @altis, @Tristero, thanks for the advice, however in the end when I got up to the Termignon area with the conditions being fairly fierce snow I decided that I could not lead a safe and fun tour. Another time, there is clearly a lot to do here. In the afternoon we ended back in the main area doing side piste where it was easy to get fresh tracks off the Solert and Plan Cardinal till close of play. While it was snowing up high all day it was sleeting/drizzling in the villages which made the home pistes very unpleasant. Overnight, a good 30cm of snow fell at village level. Carnage on the roads then ensued and it took over an hour to get to Modane causing us, along with many others, to miss our train to Paris from where we were to get Eurostar home. Now sitting in Chambery waiting for a plane home with a stinking cold. A great holiday with a crappy ending, oh and being pickpocketed in Paris on the way out wasn't great either. 1st class on Trenitalia from Paris to Modane is absolute luxury for a train and not very expensive but on the whole a lot more stress than the snow train and I've failed to travel in an environmentally friendly manner anyway as am now flying home
latest report
rambotion wrote:
@offpisteskiing, @altis, @Tristero, Overnight, a good 30cm of snow fell at village level. Carnage on the roads then ensued and it took over an hour to get to Modane causing us, along with many others, to miss our train to Paris from where we were to get Eurostar home. ... A great holiday with a crappy ending, oh and being pickpocketed in Paris on the way out wasn't great either.

Glad you enjoyed your trip despite the Paris incident and the missed train.
Thanks for the live updates on conditions.
We'll be out there in a couple of weeks and wondering if you used any ski hire & if so, how it was.

Safe home. I hope all the confusion and frustration is now behind you.
snow report
@cardweg, we used skimium for some equipment and I did think that they slightly better than average, friendly staff, no queues, good value

Skimium - VALCENIS SKI
https://maps.app.goo.gl/pTdsNTHfhBXPfzXG9

Quite a lot of drama getting home, air traffic control strikes mean we're still in France, just outside Chambery. Shame we couldn't ski yesterday
snow conditions
@rambotion, we’re all waiting for the end of the story!
snow conditions
From today’s Grauniad…
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/mar/14/easter-skiing-french-alps-vanoise-ski-france
snow report
Excellent skiing last week in Valloire-Valmeinier but the resort closed yesterday - they were taking everything down around us, posts, nets, padding. No-one around. Variable weather but good on Thursday and Friday. Off piste wasn't great - not enough depth with refrozen crust underneath.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy