Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maurienne/ Val Cenis 22/23

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be back in the Maurienne this Saturday, staying in VC, and visiting Bonneval. It's looking like it will continue snowing sporadically, and I will attempt to post a conditions report each day. I'll also be heading over to Val Thorens the next weekend via Orelle if I'm not too knackered......I crushed 6 vertebrae 3 years ago in the summer after my last visit, and having recovered from that I broke ribs and possibly one of the vertebrae again in the following January playing silly bugs, so I'm not quite the average skier I once was!
But I'm really looking forward to getting back out there.
Anyone else heading that way?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wish, planning a two week trip to The Maurienne Valley for next year. Have missed a few years due to various things. Keep us posted on how good it is.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 11-01-23 12:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm heading out the same week. Conditions starting to improve. Forecast for more snow to come as well.

First holiday in 3 years looking forward to it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stuski wrote:
I'm heading out the same week. Conditions starting to improve. Forecast for more snow to come as well.

First holiday in 3 years looking forward to it.

Have a great time, same gap for me, might see you on the slopes.....old codger with yellow ski jacket
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’m in the Maurienne this week… conditions are improving but not great, Bonneval, Val Cenis etc all got way less snow than the Vanoise massif off Monday/Tuesday’s snowfall.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Stuski
@cstreat
@offpisteskiing

Hi, have you noticed any good day ski bus options from the valley to the resorts during weekends or mid week. I'm looking to maybe go from 21st and probably will have a couple of free days to pick a few extra resorts. There seem to be good lift pass deals on Saturday's but no good way to use them without a car. Do people seem to hitchhike or lift share? Best option I've seen is probably the Aussois to La Norma bus that passes through the valley? Otherwise the larger resorts of Val Cenis and Valloire might be doable but the bus times aren't great and I assume you can't wear your boots etc. making it more fiddly. Les Sybelles and Grand Domaine probably will be the longer stay or left for another time. Orelle also an option but that doesn't seem good either without a car.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not due at VC until 1st week in April, but will certainly follow the thread with interest.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Millom wrote:

Hi, have you noticed any good day ski bus options from the valley to the resorts during weekends or mid week. I'm looking to maybe go from 21st and probably will have a couple of free days to pick a few extra resorts. There seem to be good lift pass deals on Saturday's but no good way to use them without a car. Do people seem to hitchhike or lift share? Best option I've seen is probably the Aussois to La Norma bus that passes through the valley? Otherwise the larger resorts of Val Cenis and Valloire might be doable but the bus times aren't great and I assume you can't wear your boots etc. making it more fiddly. Les Sybelles and Grand Domaine probably will be the longer stay or left for another time. Orelle also an option but that doesn't seem good either without a car.

I do know the four big ones (GD, Sybelles, GTh, VC) and of course the 3V quite well, but none of the other ones. It's worth noting, that in spite their own statements saying otherwise, the first three are in real measured piste kilometers very similar to each other. 117km (GD) - 145km (Sybelles). For comparison, 3V comes in at 520km. When it comes to either piste or off-piste skiing I would rank them GD>Sybelles>GTh. Skitouring is something else, as is VC. It's noticeably smaller, all north-facing, connected only by the bottom and has less snow. On the other hand, both villages are very nice and the surrounding landscape is most stunning.

As to your question about hitchhiking, outside week-ends - especially saturdays - there is not a ton of people going up the mountain; not remotely comparable with 2Alpes, 7Laux or Chamrousse. But there is some kind of bussing going on and Orelle got a train station. However, visiting various resorts without a car would loose you a lot of time imho.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tristero wrote:
Millom wrote:

I do know the four big ones (GD, Sybelles, GTh, VC) and of course the 3V quite well, but none of the other ones. It's worth noting, that in spite their own statements saying otherwise, the first three are in real measured piste kilometers very similar to each other. 117km (GD) - 145km (Sybelles). For comparison, 3V comes in at 520km. When it comes to either piste or off-piste skiing I would rank them GD>Sybelles>GTh. Skitouring is something else, as is VC. It's noticeably smaller, all north-facing, connected only by the bottom and has less snow. On the other hand, both villages are very nice and the surrounding landscape is most stunning.

As to your question about hitchhiking, outside week-ends - especially saturdays - there is not a ton of people going up the mountain; not remotely comparable with 2Alpes, 7Laux or Chamrousse. But there is some kind of bussing going on and Orelle got a train station. However, visiting various resorts without a car would loose you a lot of time imho.

Interesting that you think GD is the best of them. There is a good offer for next week that I'm considering. Piste length is a funny thing as resorts use different methods to calculate (and some not accurately). There is the report from the German guy that gives them to a consistent measurement which is quite interesting.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowing hard here this morning, no bare patches, some exposed slopes a bit hard. Upper forest in Termingnon best snow so far and completely empty. Lower half hard and crusty.

I'll check tonight, but val cenis is all at valley floor so no need for buses. The linked other resorts of Haute Maurienne are all linked by bus which I think used to be free with the big pass.
Lanslevillard sector busier than normal and great conditions considering, apart from visibility.
Broken spine holding up well!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cstreat, glad the back is holding up so far.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@SHAP, thanks. Day two was hard on the legs and back as I've wasted alot of muscle from my two accidents. Plenty of snow due tomorrow too, but Termingnon was thawing this evening when we went to our favourite restaurant, Sabot de Venus, which had sadly changed hands and was a shadow of its former self. Still, we've found a gem of a replacement tucked away in Landsvillard, L'Estanco.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hope you all enjoy it is Maurienne. I've now booked Grand Massif (Morillon) so this area will have to wait (maybe when I have my car with me).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
14cm overnight and this morning, clearing to sunshine in the afternoon. Good above the tree line, but the runs back through woods were quickly depleted back to hard icy base. Still, there were quiet relatively untouched pistes to be found and it was quite empty.. A good session over lunchtime for me with legs coming back
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I arrive in Les Sybelles Thursday morning for 5 days of alternative snowy fun.

It's looking good and cold for the time I'm there!
ski holidays
ciderinsport wrote:

Hi Cider. Are you staying with Mark and Martina again?
Conditions are great at the moment and the sun is due to come out so you should have a very pleasant few days.
I know you're fat biking but have fun anyway Laughing
latest report
Ed_sec wrote:
ciderinsport wrote:

Hi Cider. Are you staying with Mark and Martina again?
Conditions are great at the moment and the sun is due to come out so you should have a very pleasant few days.
I know you're fat biking but have fun anyway Laughing

Hi Ed

Yep, couldn't resist their hospitality! I've got a couple of weeks in ADH in March for skiing - best of both worlds in my view!
snow report
Great sunny day in Termingnon sector yesterday, but some slopes across VC are becoming quite crusty due to the low temperatures. Plenty of snow and still some untracked off piste. Returns to villages still have an icy base which appears by afternoon.
Off to Bonneval sur Arc today.
Dreading journey home as elderly car in limp mode!
snow report
@cstreat, Termingnon certainly looks worth visiting (apart from the drags at the top)

Given I'm not there until Easter, not sure I'll need to worry about low temps and crusty slopes so much.

Hows the back been holding up?
snow conditions
Anyone been out recently? Has the off piste been pretty hammered by the wind? We just finished a few days in the Milky Way and are heading to Cham, but wondering if tomorrow would be worth a day at Valfrejus or La Norma. Thanks!
latest report
If conditions have even a slight tendency towards icy then I would give La Norma a swerve. The middle of the mountain (near the picnic room) sees a lot of traffic and can quickly get unpleasant. Valfrejus has plenty of options but if you have any ski bum tendencies (or even aspirations) then I’d recommend a look at Les Karellis. It’s a hidden gem.
latest report
altis wrote:
If conditions have even a slight tendency towards icy then I would give La Norma a swerve. The middle of the mountain (near the picnic room) sees a lot of traffic and can quickly get unpleasant. Valfrejus has plenty of options but if you have any ski bum tendencies (or even aspirations) then I’d recommend a look at Les Karellis. It’s a hidden gem.

Sounds like our kind of place! Are the off piste conditions good there right now?
snow conditions
No idea, I’m sat at home!

There looks to be plenty of snow though:
https://www.karellis.com/en/webcams/

If you go, from just above the car park, there’s a little 2-man chair that’s free and takes you up to the front de neige where you can get your pass. From there, I’d recommend you head left and warm up in the most southerly bowl. Once you are ready to come back, you can head even further south, off piste down the valley and back into Albanne. Then head for the bowl at the northern side of the resort. Finally, finish in the middle bowl which has endless of piste options.
snow conditions
Hi, does anyone know if you can hire touring skis/skins in Val Cenis?
ski holidays
Sport 2000 in Lanslebourg https://location-ski.sport2000.fr/rent#

Or

The new Skimium in Lanslevillard
https://www.skimium.fr/magasin-location-ski/lanslevillard-val-cenis/valcenis-ski
ski holidays
Off piste above the lake on Thursday

ski holidays
@davidof, levitating... Impressive Very Happy
snow report
SHAP wrote:
@davidof, levitating... Impressive Very Happy

avoiding the manky snow - hover skis !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Presumably your day in VC ? @davidof, how did you find it to visit that area ?
snow conditions
ski3 wrote:
Presumably your day in VC ? @davidof, how did you find it to visit that area ?

It was a good tip, thanks. The snow on the shaded pistes was very hard last Thursday - it was actually better skiing off piste where the snow was chalky. On the few south facing slopes it was slush in the afternoon - which I don't mind and pretty tracked off piste but it hadn't snowed for 3 weeks. We started in Termignon. No queues. Nice wide pistes and those which had some sun were wonderful to ski. The reds are proper reds and there is a good amount of vertical with an efficient lift system.

Very pretty area and lifts are not that visible.

Problem with the lift pass in Termignon - we recharged online ok but it didn't work. The lifty claimed the "pass is full" but as it is just an RFID and the information is stored in their computers I don't understand how this can be. 40 minutes to sort out. Not good customer service.
snow report
here's a write up: https://pistehors.com/3EntmYYBsDqi-LmiM8fR/val-cenis-maurienne-france

Not really much more info than I posted above.
snow report
Heading out to Lanslebourg-VC later in March.
Hope there's a bit more snow as my daughter has limited experience and not skied for 5 years or more. Happy to receive any pointers on areas to focus on or avoid.
Still trying to decide whether to take my own skis or just hire for 4 days. There's not much in it, cost-wise, but I'm a bit wary of renting and paying top dollar for mediocre kit.
snow conditions

Conditions acceptable in Val Cenis is today, this is just some really obvious touring above the Plan Cardinal lift, pistes in nice condition as well
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/NR9lvICp5Kc

20 second video of the same zone, so far a big fan of val cenis, we have a mixed ability group and there is good terrain for everyone, probably not for the dedicated mile munchers. Nice long runs, not too busy
snow report
Ace!

Another option for you: from the top of Met, negotiate the rail around the viewing platform and then head towards the lake. Return along the road to the col. South facing though, so pick your hour.

For some steeps, again from the top of Met, head straight back under the wire down the drop and then keep left under the cliff. The drop usually has good powder as the prospect of making a fool of yourself in full view of the lift keeps many away.

Also a few gullies to be found off the Nunda run - but don't go past the fence!

For more mellow off piste we really like area next to the Mont Cenis drag from the col.

For the piste skiers I'd recommend a visit to the area high above Termignon - Grand Coin and Lac lifts. There's usually good snow and little traffic. There's some nice between the pistes stuff too.

For refreshments I'd recommend the bar with the rotating floor at the bottom of the Grand Coin, the big bar/restaurant on the col itself near the top of the Buffa drag and the one half way down the Solert run - to the left with all the flags outside.
snow conditions
@rambotion, that looks great.

@altis, very useful, cheers.
snow conditions
rambotion wrote:
…so far a big fan of val cenis, it we have a mixed ability group and there is good terrain for everyone, probably not for the dedicated mile munchers. Nice long runs, not too busy

Glad to hear. My daughter and I are also a “mixed ability group” & one of the reasons I chose VC for our trip in a couple of weeks is the large number of greens and blues as it’s some time since she has skied.

@altis Good info. Thanks. The bar with the rotating floor intrigues me. Definitely worth a visit & happy to receive any other hints and recommendations either on piste or in the village (staying in Lanslebourg).

Thank you snowHead
ski holidays
altis wrote:
the big bar/restaurant on the col itself near the top of the Buffa drag

Is it possible to get to this without using the Goulet red run?

Cheers
ski holidays
@SHAP, you can but I think you'll have to walk a bit.

Goulet is probably my least favourite run there. It's often hard and scratchy and the off piste around there is very wind-blown and hard too.

Possibly the best alternative is to bear left off the lower end of the red, Fort - or even the blue, Mont Cenis and see how far you can make it along the road where you'll see plenty of people, and sometimes dogs with sleds. The bar is tucked out of sight just over the rise.
ski holidays
@altis, Ok cool. It was mainly for my kids sake really. I'm not a fan of scratchy and hard, but I'm able to ski it, but my kids probably won't. Seems like a good place to start the long green, but also seems odd that you need a tricky red to get to it. I'll scope it for the kids later during our week and see how it is, and how they progress.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy