Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

General conditions across the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Thought it might be useful to have a single thread that summarises conditions across the Alps?
I've just been looking at some fairly low-lying resorts in Switzerland and France and they have very little or no skiing.
But similar altitude places in Austria (e.g. near Innsbruck) have most runs open.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Neil Neige, there will be snow across the Alps for the rest of the week, so any condition reports today will be different tomorrow. I suspect the situation will look completely different by the weekend.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If anyone hears about any corner of the alps that didn't get much snow, or the snow was icy or slushy or otherwise disappointing, can you be sure to post here?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And the heterogeneity across the alps makes this a bit pointless.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:

The heterogeneity of conditions in the Alps is the whole point of the thread.
Otherwise, you have to dive into 10-20 threads to get a feel for the overall picture.
It's a suggestion for a single thread to summarise conditions across the different parts of the Alps - e.g. in northern France there's very little snow below 1500m, in the Dolomites most runs are open, etc.
If of little use, just let it drop away.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timing! I could write about St Anton today, but if the storm forecast for later in the week comes anywhere close to delivering as hyped (+1 to 1.5m), today’s report will be meaningless.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The heterogeneity of the Alps does not fit in one thread.
And indeed, you're too late. Holidays are over, and snow is falling, and supposed to keep on falling for the coming two weeks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My first day out on Jungfrau region this season. Cold fresh snow last night improved things massively.
Bizarrely, if we get too much snow in the next 2/3 days the race organisers will have a headache getting the Lauberhorn course ready for (practice) and the race on Saturday.
Fully expecting to ski a few powder runs in the morning (10th)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pointless thread...the Guardianl already told me that the season is a washout due to climate change meaning no snow so what is the point of this?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Neil Neige, in theory I can see a use for this thread, but I'm not sure how it could be effectively maintained. @Scarlet is right that it'll go out of date quickly so it would need frequent contributions to keep it updated.

For example, you could have:

- snowheads summarising conditions across the entire Alps in a single post, e.g.

French Alps (north)
Currently: rubbish below 1500m, good above 2,000m; standout areas include Tignes / Val d'Isere, Arc 2000, Val Thorens
Net change over next week: uncertain below 1500m, improving above that

French Alps (south)
Currently: generally reasonable conditions; standout areas include Serre Chevalier, Puy St Vincent
Net change over next week: uncertain below 1500m, slight improvement above that

...and so on for other countries. Obviously they would be massive generalisations.

or
- many people posting conditions from specific parts of the Alps, and you could keep an up-to-date summary in the opening thread, by editing it continuously

There are websites which give daily summaries such as https://www.weathertoski.co.uk, but I'm assuming you want something a little more specific than that. (Or the SCGB's "Snow Overview", which is pretty awful.)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just like here in the UK we can see how milder than normal air masses are making snowfall much more marginal in the Alps. Half or even quarter degree centigrade differences become critical to whether snow or rain falls.

In terms of kms of open piste which may be of interest to skiers out for a typical 6 day piste skiing holiday:
https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/europe/sorted/open-slopes/

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 9-01-23 22:10; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think its a good idea as I spend an inordinate amount of time daydreaming / opening the threads that are showing updates, often to find that its just people talking about a restaurant, or a route from the airport or whatever. I mean I'm not against that, if people are talking about snow conditions in a resort they'll invariably talk about the resort generally, and I'll benefit from getting answers to qs too. But it would be nice to have one thread that said "Skied Hintertux today, very good conditions up the top, getting a bit slushy from 1800" or whatever.

Of course that's not going to happen and I'll still read the other threads anyway if they've updated, but I still like the idea
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think it’s a great idea too!
I’ve spent hours as above poster looking at conditions ar various resorts.
We have a Eurostar to paris on Saturday am and after that no idea where we are going , waiting to see what happens..
St anton, serre chevalier, somewhere trainable with good snow in Austria , val d’isere maybe ..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:
Just like here in the UK we can see how milder than normal air masses are making snowfall much more marginal in the Alps. Half or even quarter degree centigrade differences become critical to whether snow or rain falls.

In terms of kms of open piste which may be of interest to skiers out for a typical 6 day piste skiing holiday:

Gosh this is interesting. So st anton which reading the the threads looked good, has loads shut.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Snowysarah, I suspect that's quite misleading; in that if it's anywhere like here (Chamonix or indeed, PdS, Grand Massif) anything sub 1,500m is pretty much closed/bare (well, it's probably got 10cms on it this morning).

Also I note that the Grands Montets info is slightly incorrect on numbers. And also misleading. And the other day it had Grands Montets as "closed". Well, it was but only for avvy control and was going to and did open at 10h30 ...
ski holidays
Quote:

Holidays are over

Laughing
latest report
Quite a lot of runs and still some lifts to open in some of the bigger resorts. Hopefully the recent snow and more settled weather, when it arrives, will enable that.

ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
Quite a lot of runs and still some lifts to open in some of the bigger resorts. Hopefully the recent snow and more settled weather, when it arrives, will enable that.

massive generalisation alert, but....
    - New year hols are over, so resorts are quiet, therefore they don't need to open all slopes, particular those where there are two or more options between the same two points, and the volume of skiers can be absorbed in what they have open
    - Slopes with no or less snow-making are more likely to be closed to protect what snow is there, ahead of the February busy period
    - The weather has been unsettled since the weekend and continues to be so, hence places are quite windy so high links may be closed
    - Resorts are busy shifting what snow has fallen onto pistes, so some slopes are closed for maintenance
    - That list can never be that accurate as it just takes a sweep from somewhere once a day a best
latest report
Hmm. My experience in the Espace Diamant was that ALL slopes were open when there was enough snow, even when there were mercifully few skiers. A few lifts were sometimes shut at end of season. Runs never closed to preserve snow AFAIK.
snow conditions
And only lifts closed were drags.
ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
@Neil Neige, in theory I can see a use for this thread, but I'm not sure how it could be effectively maintained. @Scarlet is right that it'll go out of date quickly so it would need frequent contributions to keep it updated.

I'm all up for giving it a go, but I tend to agree with this. Most people know where they are going and can hone in on the relevant thread in the weather space. This would be particularly relevant to those that are going in a a few days but still haven't decided where they are going (but there can't be that many). I guess the beauty is that if it works then it gets used, stays relevant and updated.

The general weather thread works well as there are enough charts that you can focus in on quickly (and by nature of a map, can give a view point across Europe in one chart). If we could add some kind of chart summary of snow depths etc in different areas that might help? (could be a bit too simplistic though i guess).
snow report
Ski resort info can order resorts by say ‘base’ snow depth:

https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/europe/sorted/valley-snow-depths/

And Bergfex provides snow depth by country:

https://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/

….but snow depth is perhaps a bit of a red herring. I suspect the amount of Slopes and lifts open is probably more useful to holiday skiers ?
ski holidays
@t44tomo, and in the Haute Savoie, in general, there still hasn't been enough snow below ~1500 to open anything much ...
snow conditions
Quote:

but snow depth is perhaps a bit of a red herring. I suspect the amount of Slopes and lifts open is probably more useful to holiday skiers ?

This. And any resort worth visiting will have this info on their website.
snow report
Peter S wrote:

….but snow depth is perhaps a bit of a red herring. I suspect the amount of Slopes and lifts open is probably more useful to holiday skiers ?

Snow depth gives some idea of completeness of cover, BUT… there is a mile of difference between a metre of depth, with the last snow fall being weeks ago, compared to a metre that received a 30cm top up a day ago.
snow report
There is also a big difference between slopes on pasture which don't need a lot of snow (like many in the Portes du Soleil, for example) and higher, rocky, slopes which cannot be opened until there is better coverage.
snow conditions
denfinella wrote:
There are websites which give daily summaries such as https://www.weathertoski.co.uk, but I'm assuming you want something a little more specific than that. (Or the SCGB's "Snow Overview", which is pretty awful.)

Hi, thanks v much for letting me know about the weather to ski site. It appears to be exactly what I'm after!
A nice clear summary of how things are looking across the whole range. https://www.weathertoski.co.uk

Here's today's summary:
"A cold and unstable polar airmass remains in place across the Alps, with more snow in places today, heaviest in the west.
Another 15-30cm of new snow is expected today across much of the French Alps, with the greatest falls in the north (e.g. Grand Massif, Mont Blanc) but the southern French Alps (e.g. Risoul) getting a bit more in on the action than yesterday. The western Swiss Alps (e.g Villars), the far western Italian Alps (e.g. Bardonecchia) and the eastern Italian Alps (Dolomites) will also see a moderate fall of snow today (10-15cm), although it will arrive a bit later in the latter. The eastern Swiss Alps (e.g. Davos) and Austria will stay mostly dry during daylight hours but can expect some snow tonight.
Further snow is also expected in places tomorrow, chiefly in the north-western Alps (e.g. Portes du Soleil, Jungfrau region, Arlberg). Both today and tomorrow, any snow will fall to very low levels, often right into the “lowlands”.
Not very long ago there was almost no snow in the lower resorts of the north-western Alps, but this week these areas (e.g. Samoens, Les Carroz, Megeve, La Clusaz, Les Gets, Morzine, Villars, Gstaad) have seen a dramatic turn-around, with yet more snow to come both today and tomorrow. Conditions here are now excellent or, at least, will be once the weather settles down. It’s worth noting though that at altitude the risk of avalanche is high, partly due to all the new snow but also due to the wind, which was particularly strong yesterday.
Elsewhere in the Alps, most other regions have enjoyed at least some fresh snow this week with the far south-east (Carinthia) doing best. That said, the northern Austrian Alps (e.g. Zell am See, Kitzbühel) have missed most of the action so far.
These areas will get a few centimetres over the next couple of days with an increasing chance of some more substantial snow this weekend. The low temperatures also mean that snowmaking is now able to operate at full throttle."
snow report
under a new name wrote:

It does, conditions around Grenoble are still pretty bad. Largely unskiable below 1800 meters off piste (if you are a piste skier don't worry, there is man made with some fresh snow on top). We are still in an "start of season" type snowpack at lower altitudes (base of pistes). It should snow down to valley level today which will finally improve things.

This illustrates the situation from the Meteo France monitoring station at the Col de Porte at 1360 meters. Dashed line is an "average" season. Red is 2022/23. Other lines are quintiles. So the current situation is above the worst 20% of seasons. Similar in the Vercors at 1600 m, about 20cm of snow cover with just two recent falls of 5 + 5cm.

But just a few kms north things in the Bauges range are looking reasonable now with 60cm total snowdepth at 1650 meters, 50cm has fallen in the last few days so it was pretty thin before.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is bloody loads of snow in Val d’isere/tignes !
snow report
The Jura has finally had some skiable snow too.
snow report
Heading towards the halfway point in the season and the amount of open slopes are moving closer to ‘full’ in many areas.

ski holidays
@Snowysarah,
Quote:

There is bloody loads of snow in Val d’isere/tignes !

There is bloody loads of snow in Nassfeld (Carinthia /Southern Austria) too snowHead
snow conditions
Approaching half term and the biggest European resorts have most of their ski runs open. Noticeably though very few (with more than 150kms) have everything open.

snow conditions
@Peter S, I suspect everything open is quite rare?
ski holidays
The have been a LOT of avalanches iver the weekend
snow conditions
Tirol seems to have covered the rocks largely except for some post groomer gravel. Some shrubbery still available plus various amounts of wind farking of off piste.
snow conditions
Any general updates?

I did a bunk and headed for Japan for my January trip. February was written off for various reasons, but I'm wondering about a last minute booking March trip.

So here's the question - which this thread was designed for................ which bit of the Alps has faired best over the last month or so? From what I can see for the last week it's been a bit warmer than average and not an awful lot of snow . The forecast looks roughly the same for the next week.

I'm possibly leaning towards Austria, there's a deal to Bad Hofgastein in a few weeks and I've never been there before.....
snow report
Gotta be (eastern) Austria for newish snow. Or the eastern Pyrenees. But March is a long way away...
latest report
rogg wrote:
I'm wondering about a last minute booking March trip.

So here's the question - which this thread was designed for................ which bit of the Alps has faired best over the last month or so? From what I can see for the last week it's been a bit warmer than average and not an awful lot of snow . The forecast looks roughly the same for the next week.

I'm possibly leaning towards Austria, there's a deal to Bad Hofgastein in a few weeks and I've never been there before.....

Austria got the big dump a week ago, but March is 3 weeks away and it’s warming up so that’s largely irrelevant to what conditions will be like in March.

Your best bet is to follow the forecasts from 2 weeks out and leave your decision to 3 days before by which point the forecast should be pretty reliable.

Alternatively take the offer you’ve got now and keep your fingers crossed!
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
rogg wrote:
I'm wondering about a last minute booking March trip.

Austria got the big dump a week ago, but March is 3 weeks away and it’s warming up so that’s largely irrelevant to what conditions will be like in March.

Your best bet is to follow the forecasts from 2 weeks out and leave your decision to 3 days before by which point the forecast should be pretty reliable.

Alternatively take the offer you’ve got now and keep your fingers crossed!

That was my plan (hold off and book max 5 days out) but just wondered what the existing general scenario was.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy