Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
[quote="VolklAttivaS5"]
JimboS wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5,
They do half roast chickens in there too but I don’t know how they compare to the Alp Bella ones.

We had lunch "half chicken", at Alp Bella too on Tuesday, delicious!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JimboS, so did I on Tuesday, lovely coating on the skins whatever it is! I need to try a Paznauner Thaya chicken though as well to compare as they’d run out on Monday.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like it’s going to be quite a nice day today, going to ski down piste 80 to Samnaun as I’ve only been down there once before so want to refresh my memory.
Great snow on piste this morning and a bit of new snow overnight too, had some brief freshies on the way to the C2
Really enjoyed this week, last day tomorrow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Moderate snowfall in Alp Bella so it’s coming in again Very Happy

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 31-03-23 19:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What looked like a wash out on Friday turned out to be a great day, probably our longest day of the week, did the area from end to end and saw the sun from time to time. Only got rained on for the last 1/2 mile down to the village.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@JimboS, agreed I was out early this morning and put a full day in too, snow was better on piste actually than Thursday, virtually no sticky snow even on the number 1 right down to the village, soft snow yes, but no stop/start snow!
I enjoyed it, it was raining when I got to the bottom though but luckily it wasn’t far to walk to the apartment.
The piste 80 down to Samnaun was easily skiable all the way to the cable car building this morning. A nice long run first thing with a stop at the Smugglers restaurant near the bottom for a piece of Topfenstrudel.

Last day skiing tomorrow until December.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Kramer, I had some freshies too Very Happy
Did you go up the Piz Val Grondabahn and do ski route 42?
That was good, although you’re right, the freezing level was very high today so by 12 midday anything below 2300m had that sticky stop/start nature to it. Ok in the shade the skis would run but if not then they would stick a bit.

Hopefully the freezing level will drop considerably tonight.

Skied that run on 20/3/23, traversing across the top at the start, my right ski hit a hidden rock and stopped. I carried on, my right knee started to hurt just before my ski released. A worrying few minutes until the discomfort stopped and i was brave enough bend it/weight bare. I was able to continue skiing but it did un-nerve me.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skitech, that doesn’t surprise me as since 20th March there’s been about 50cm of new snow, maybe more especially up there.
So without that there would have been some sharks lurking, seems a lot better coverage now.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skiing today was a combination of staying low enough to be in reasonable visibility, and high enough to stay above the snow line.

Had a great day’s skiing to a late lunch, would have been even better if my friends would get lessons (learn how to carve people: if you think you’re carving then you’re not).

Snowing at resort level tonight as I walk away from a meeting with two Ischgl ladies.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 2-04-23 9:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Kramer, ...er... when you say "meeting"...?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ha ha, just chatting in a bar.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh good glad to hear the rain in resort turned to snow later on.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Went to Galtür this morning as I’ve not been over all week plus I hadn’t been there for ages. There’s a new gondola since my last visit, the Breitspitzbahn which replaced the little 2 man chair down the end-vast improvement!
Very nice fresh snow on the piste and to the sides and the visibility was good to be fair, the sun came out in the morning before it became cloudy again later. Had a delicious ‘Grillteller’ for lunch at the Faulbrunnalm, would recommend, loads of salad, cooked vegetables, chicken, beef and pork.

Got the bus back at 2.15pm though as by then it was sticky snow and I needed to pack for an early departure tomorrow morning anyway!

If the temperature and freezing level drops from tomorrow onwards as per the local forecast then you will be in for a treat.

Like Ischgl, Galtür also has a lot of easily accessible off piste.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got home late last night and both tested positive for COVID, headaches and tickly coughs.

That's a hat trick for Kim, Saalbach in 2020, Bad Hofgastein in 2022 and now Ischgl 2023.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JimboS, Oooh sorry to hear that! Hmmm will look out for symptoms. Had you been to many apres ski venues apart from the Paznauner Thaya? Obviously it could have been from anywhere but I just wondered.
I heard quite a few people coughing in the lifts this week and on the train back to Innsbruck too actually.

Set off this morning, got the bus to Landeck at 7.16am, then train to Innsbruck, then bus to airport, really easy even with skis, cabin bag with boots in and main bag. Best thing is it only costs €18.80 each way.
Easy on your own I’m not sure I’d be keen with loads of kids in tow mind.
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, not especially but ate lunch indoors most days. There were lots of people coughing on the bus back to the airport as well as on the plane so I suspect a good proportion heading home will have it or will catch it on the way home.
snow conditions
@JimboS, did you go through a tour operator? Where did you stay?
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, Yes, we got a great last minute deal from Crystal and stayed in the Alpin Tirol in Galtur.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 2-04-23 14:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Galtür is very quiet isn’t it and loads of off piste too
snow report
Yes, we spent the first day there and then one afternoon and got lots of first lines. As for the village, it was absolutely dead. We went there as we wanted a quicky cheap deal and it was fine for that, but wouldn't stay there again. Bussing up and down to Ischgl was on the whole ok, but the lack of a single bar open before 8 pm seemed crazy.
ski holidays
Yes too quiet for me too, agreed. Would rather stay in Ischgl and do day trips to Galtür and Kappl (and See) if I feel like it.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@JimboS, so did I on Tuesday, lovely coating on the skins whatever it is! I need to try a Paznauner Thaya chicken though as well to compare as they’d run out on Monday.

I can recommend the Paznauner Thaya chicken. They had plenty on Friday . Will have to try Alp Bella next time .
snow report
@snowwhite, what time did you manage a chicken on Friday at PT?

It was about half 2 on Monday when I tried for one so not really surprising that they had run out by then, also it was a snowy poor vis day so maybe people were inside scoffing the chicken instead of being outside Laughing
snow conditions
Did anyone else notice people (men not women) peeing on the side of the piste more than usual this week?

Over a week I saw this happening at least 4 times which was more than usual I’d say and in years of skiing when I’d seen them doing it a toilet has not been close by. Fair enough if caught short and there is no toilet nearby, I can understand that.

But this week every time there’s been a toilet like 100-200m away. It’s just not necessary and they are stood in twos and threes doing it right on the edge of the piste, also noticed big loads of coughed up phlegm on the snow outside restaurants. Yuck!
Maybe there was a group of pigs on holiday in Ischgl this week.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Did anyone else notice people (men not women) peeing on the side of the piste more than usual this week?

Nope, and I agree that there's no need for it when there are so many toilets accessible on the slopes.

We did see a drunk young lad peeing in the middle of the square outside Shazi's on Friday evening. I'm surprised he didn't get fined.
ski holidays
@Kramer, yes, so many toilets available, it’s just slovenly and shows a lack of respect for other slope users, especially when there’s powder to the side of the piste who wants to be trying to avoid pee.
And phlegm.

You do see evidence of pee around the Pardatschgratbahn yes where the bars are, I expect it’s the same down by the Silvrettabahn.
snow report
Can understand it in some resorts where it seems there's a total lack of toilets (was in La Rosiere for a day recently and between that and the access points from La Thuile didn't seem to be anywhere)

But Ischgl from recollection has excellent facilities
latest report
@8611, yeah if ski touring for example, well what else do you do and like you say if there’s no toilets within a reasonable distance then it’s understandable but Ischgl has loads
They seem to have left a restaurant just up the hill too.
I noticed the first two then kept seeing them so I thought God what is it with this place!
Great skiing mind.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@VolklAttivaS5, I noticed it most days,
only seldom noticed it before at any other areas.
latest report
@JimboS, ah I’m glad it wasn’t just me!
Yes-elsewhere it’s seldom, certainly not memorable.
I’m going back in December over Christmas so hopefully there won’t be a repeat, slovenly swines!
snow conditions
My 1st time in Ischgl and I really don't like the village. I feel they're all trying to squeeze every last penny from the customers. Price of 40c beer 8.50£, galss of apple juice 5€ Glass of tap water 2.50€. Minimum 50€ spend to use card.
I do like the ski area though and plenty of freeriding.
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, agreed, nicer villages around in Austria for sure.
latest report
@Mother hucker, I really liked the skiing, the lift system and the facilities.

But no doubt about it, you are the quarry alright. The ski rental was eye watering and that was ten years ago. I think the EU competition authority got involved at some point.
ski holidays
@8611, agreed the facilities, the skiing, the mountain restaurants, all great.
Definitely a more expensive resort overall compared to other Austrian resorts further East I think but then they didn’t have the snow we had last week to the same extent, the skiing further East around the Salzburg area say Kitzbuhel, Ski Welt is all around the 2000m mark so whilst they did have some snow we had more in Ischgl.
I suspect St Anton has similar prices and clientele (loads of drunk blokes).
I think Ischgl is a great early and late season destination though, I don’t think I’d fancy it in main winter. Pre-Christmas and late March would be my lot, there’s nicer resorts elsewhere for main winter season.
latest report
The former marketing director Andreas Steibl had sued against the termination. The Innsbruck Regional Court upheld his dismissal challenge. The Paznaun-Ischgl Tourism Association must now hire him again. Steibl himself definitely wants to return to his old job.

For years, Marketing Director Andreas Steibl was the figurehead of Ischgl. After 18 years, the employment relationship was terminated in autumn 2021 by the Paznaun-Ischgl Tourism Association due to differences in content.

https://www.meinbezirk.at/landeck/c-lokales/andreas-steibl-siegt-im-rechtsstreit-mit-dem-tvb-paznaun-ischgl_a5969812?
latest report
What a pointless article, it has no information as to why he was sacked, and zero insight.

Looks like it was written by chatgpt.
snow conditions
I was in Galtur last week in a group of six staying at the Alpen Tyrol Hotel. Very mixed week weatherwise but we did ski some fantastic powder in Galtur and Kappl and at the other end of the scale skied the bottom half of the home run down to Ischgl in rain on two occasions, we quickly dried out over a few beers and Schnapps in the Khustall before getting the bus back to Galtur. On balance superb conditions were to be found higher up with some great off piste between the runs in all the three areas we skied. Third trip to this area this season, staying last time over in Samnaun on the Swiss in early March for ten nights, a trip we arranged independently. We stayed in Galtur for 9 nights, again a do it yourself job in January. We cancelled a trip to Andermatt in January on account of the very iffy snow conditions at the time, which is unusual for Andermatt, so Galtur was a plan B. It's been a bit of a strange one this year in terms of snow cover in the Alps but in all 3 trips to the Paznaun valley/Samnaun we had our powder days. We also went to the George Ezra concert last Thursday which was brilliant, we saw the Kings of Leon here at the end of April last season. Maybe we'll get back to Andermatt next season, fingers crossed. Our gear has sadly been stored away ready for next season. Some work to do now on my road bike to shift the extra pounds I've put on over the winter, I blame that on the Apple Strudels, Wiener Schnitzels, weizen beer etc despite skiing our socks off. Eh oh!
snow report
@Snowbandit56, we were there too, were you one of the guys in the table by the door?

The hotel was OK but the bus was a bit of a pita, and Galtur was dead. If there had been a bar or two open in Galtur next
to the bus stop it would have been fine, but one cake shop didn't cut it for us. Next time I'd stay in Ischgl.
snow report
@JimboS, Our table was on the left as you went into the dining room, we were in the far corner. We went to Tommy's garage on the last night which doesn't open till 8, we had a meal out aswell at the Steak restaurant in the Hotel Ballunspitze which I highly recommend. Apres is quiet compared to Ischgl but when skiing Galtur there is an Apres bar under the Hotel Wirlerhof which opens at 3pm and is very good with table service. The problem with the Alpen Hotel Tyrol is the restricted meal times, it would be better if they ran 6.30 to 8.30 rather than 6.30 to 7.40. We found it was all a bit of a rush after enjoying a few beers at the end of the day in Ischgl before getting the bus back. I think for what we paid for a half board deal it was a good deal the food was fine and the staff provided good service. We've stayed in Ischgl a few times were you pay more and your at the hub of things - this time I was mainly hangover free and able to enjoy the powder. Lol.
snow report
My first time in Paznaun (other than starting off from Ischgl on a Silvretta tour about 10 years ago). We're staying in Kappl and had a great day skiing there yesterday. There was up to 15cm fresh snow which was fun in the morning, but was getting heavier by lunchtime, though still fun.

Today in Ischgl, which felt busy (though that's more a comment on how quiet Kappl was), and lots of good skiing to be had . Snow was softening where you'd expect, but still very good coverage, and a lot of untransformed snow up high(ish) out of the sun
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy