Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
@HammondR, earn your turns! Sounds lovely!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name, thing is, even 5 years ago in the good snowy winter, it didn't result in 24 hours of bed/feet up/Netflix/more bed after these types of days. Wanting to go up the other side of the Arpette Valley to the Genepi/Six Carro Col now. Having had a good day finding untracked cold snow at Le Tour today I realised yet another easy day is required before going uphill again.

As Bob Dylan said "time is a jet plane, it moves too fast"
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@HammondR, too true, too true snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks everyone. Had a great day (especially morning) in brevent /flegeres. Pleasantly surprised by the snow
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HammondR wrote:
Good, even great snow conditions to be had for a little (or lot) of effort.

Tuesday we had our first ever trip up the Arpette Valley. Going via Champex lift takes 300+ metres out of the climb. 1000 metres uphill (and lots of tea and fuel) later we had had enough. Pristine north facing fluffy snow. Very quiet and a top ten ever ski. Get there before the lift closes for the season. A future annual venue for us.

That sounds like a cracking day!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Went to the col between Génepi and Six Corro marked 2712m today, again from the Champex lift. Arpette valley north side.

Completely different experience from the north facing couloirs on Tuesday. A pretty hot day and unsurprisingly soft snow on the way up. We didn’t get quite to the top of the col because the snow felt a bit iffy in a big wet slide kind of way.

Point is, the skiing was still very good, very even, predictable and again untracked. I would heartily recommend it. Slight fly in the ointment being that I think that Champex Lac resort might have closed for the season today. I might be wrong.

Without the 300+ free metres courtesy of the lift, I am done here until next season.

@BobinCH, the quality of the snow was just such a surprise so long after the last snowfall. Only wish I could have climbed up quicker and got more.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi!
Considering going to Chamonix this weekend for the last couple of days of family skiing of the season and I have not skied there for a while. Are snow conditions OK in Grands Montets and Brévent-Flégère ? Aren’ t the lifts horribly crowded during the weekend?
Thanks!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was at BF on Saturday. Snow coverage is very good for this time of year, though obviously slushy in the afternoon. No crowds whatsoever.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rather humid this morning, not in a good way
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks! All my skiing has been in les Trois Vallées, Tignes or Val d’Isere these last few years and I thought a weekend in Chamonix could be nice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowfranck, I would expect the Grands to be fine and not very crowded..:
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowfranck wrote:
Hi!
Considering going to Chamonix this weekend for the last couple of days of family skiing of the season and I have not skied there for a while. Are snow conditions OK in Grands Montets and Brévent-Flégère ? Aren’ t the lifts horribly crowded during the weekend?
Thanks!

Very decent snow last Fri at Grands Montets - the steady snowfalls over the last few weeks have topped things up nicely.

Don't know if you're a tourer/off piste skier but conditions up on the glaciers (Argentiere and off the Skyway) were even better on Sat and Mon.

And it's been raining in town today which should mean even more snow over 2000m!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Hi!
Thanks!

I've been here for the last two days and my experience has been... day 1 bright sunshine, good piste conditions from opening to about 11am on flegere/brevent. Today the weather came in with snow above 2000m but wet and heavy. Was "ok" on the piste and definitely reasonable for this late in the season. Tomorrow it is due to be clear in the morning so I envisage nice pistes up to about lunchtime, especially with the top up we had today.

So far as crowds go... zero queues on Easter Monday... I foresee no issues with too many people.

In summary, if you're after a bit of piste skiing then from what I have experienced it'd be worth a trip this weekend, so long as you're expectations are realistic... good but not high season good and also very changeable day to day.

I hope that helps!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all, very useful! Looking at the (somewhat gloomy) weather forecast now.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://m.chamonix-meteo.com/en/index.php

https://www.bergfex.com/grands-montets-chamonix/webcams/c11535/
snow report
Looking a bit mild and unsettled towards the end of this week Sad
snow report
Thinking about doing last couple of days of season, at Grands Montets on Sunday and Monday 1st, with family (or part of it! )
Anyone been up there recently?
snow report
@footsoldier, was up there on Sunday for an hour. There is plenty of snow and will be up until the close on the 1st.

It was warm and sloppy and no fun at all, but that is no indication of what it will be like at the weekend. Snowing lightly outside my window in Montroc most of this morning.

The quality (or otherwise) of your ski will depend on the weather gods.
ski holidays
Unfortunately, my reading of the forecast sites is that it is due to warm up significantly this weekend, so if it was sloppy Sunday (when I think it was cold) then the fact that freezing level is due to go up to 3000m will make it worse? Unless it was warm on Sunday (seems to be cold enough now).
snow report
I was up there Sunday afternoon and yesterday. Sunday afternoon was as described - warm and sloppy. Yesterday morning was great - Probably 15-20cm powder which was lighter up top and heavier around Lognan but still a lot of fun and lots of fresh turns to be had. Freezing level seemed to be right around Lognan. Plenty of coverage.
latest report
Next couple of days look ok.
ski holidays
Great day at the Grands Montets today. As much snow as I’ve ever seen at the end of April. Everything skiable including Pierre Ric.
ski holidays
Another great day in Argentiere. Avalanche risk 2. Everything is skiable. A couple of hours sunbathing at the end of the day. Lift ticket E32. What’s not to like ? Cool
ski holidays
Skied quite a lot yesterday but the snow wasnt the best particularly below the Hearse chair. Pierre Ric is still skiable back to Argentiere. Heading up again today but it has rained all night with snow above 3000m. Not sure if the saturated snow today will ski better than the dampening snow yesterday?
ski holidays
@Peter S, will be interesting to see. One of my trips this year it had rained high enough before more snow fell and there was this horrific layer of grey blue crud underneath the next layer of powder, was like a scar on the mountain.
ski holidays
@Peter S, you are a braver man than I this morning! (If I was even fit to ski).
snow conditions
The miserable forecast prompted the packing of the car and the driving home to sunny Halifax.

Hope it bucks up for the last day at GM.

Co incidentally, being home means that I miss coming a cropper on the water splash.....
ski holidays
No rain at all today. A much better day than expected. Enjoyed the music under ‘Table’. Snow much better today. Had a good run into the Penant bowl this afternoon. Unfortunately leaving tomorrow morning before the end of season party on Monday. Slight regret I didn’t bring the telemark skis this year. Almost forgot what a cool place Argentiere and Chamonix are. The Glencoe of France snowHead Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:
No rain at all today. A much better day than expected. Enjoyed the music under ‘Table’. Snow much better today. Had a good run into the Penant bowl this afternoon. Unfortunately leaving tomorrow morning before the end of season party on Monday. Slight regret I didn’t bring the telemark skis this year. Almost forgot what a cool place Argentiere and Chamonix are. The Glencoe of France snowHead Laughing

Also thought it was pretty good today! Will be there tomorrow afternoon for the party though no water splash for me...
ski holidays
Have a great time. Shame it all ends. About as much snow now as all season above 2000m, I would imagine ?
snow report
Did it really rain up to the Aiguille du Midi?
snow report
Looks like wet snow today but at least there are quite a few around to cheer on the end of season celebrations snowHead
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
Looks like wet snow today but at least there are quite a few around to cheer on the end of season celebrations snowHead

Great atmosphere and conditions as good as can be expected - impressed by the pond-skimming performances we saw!
ski holidays
I was also up at the closing party - i can't say the snow was great (we all downloaded by lift, a rarity!) but a very entertaining party and day Toofy Grin topped off by too many (strong) drinks at Marmottons too wink snowHead

The pond skim was great - some friends included. And the attempt at 'SUP jousting' was hilarious! I'll try to sort photos tomorrow when I've sobered up (hopefully Razz )
snow report
@fixx, nice. I managed to miss the close for the 18th year in a row ...
snow conditions
Just booked for 20th Jan, anybody any idea when the lift passes go on sale?
latest report
is it snowing yet? Very Happy
ski holidays
@ukoldschool, not so that it matters, other than beginning to look a bit wintery at altitude.
snow conditions
Someone needs to open a 2024 thread.
snow conditions
@ukoldschool, looks like on sale as we speak https://www.montblancnaturalresort.com/en/forfait-ski/1-jour-chamonix-le-pass-5223/?s=2023-12-09
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy