Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
@midgetbiker, “maison vieille”? Accessed from the 6 pax lift (Pra Neyron maybe?) - efficient, good pizza and pasta (excellent carbonara) … probs want to check they have table ..,
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@midgetbiker, I'd say it'll be snow high up and most of the way down
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, that’s where you were talking about, doh!

Probs too late but chums were raving about la Grolla down Val Veny way.

Haven’t been myself yet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.skiweekend.com/blog/first-images-of-the-new-grands-montets-lift-released-feb-2022-update
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jbob, “ the car park reduced in size, to encouraged increased use of buses and trains.”

No, you encourage use of buses and trains by providing good bus and train services!!

Bloody mairie.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can I ask any experienced Chamonix hands out there for any thoughts on on tomorrow, Saturday 1st April. We are staying in Argentiere until Tuesday. Know the basics of the valley and we can ski any of the areas when open. Arrived today and Grands Montets is closed and looks like a stormy and snowy forecast until Sunday morning. what is the best way to check early Saturday which areas are likely to be open? Thanks for any advice. SW
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"Capacity - similar to the old lift"

Sooooo still quicker to just skin up then. Marvelous.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@wilsosb1, I don’t know if this is the “best” but it’s the official page https://www.montblancnaturalresort.com/en/infos-live#b4
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not a local but Lumiplan gets updated quickly elsewhere.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rjs, lumiplan build the CMB website (amongst many others, lord only knows why!)

You can also sign up to updates, e.g. tomorrow is expected to be crap like today and "Le Pass" holders can use Les Houches has just appeared in my inbox.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 31-03-23 16:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the advice will watch out on the official site.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.chamonix.net/english/news/brevent-ski-area-operating-period-extended
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@jbob, “ the car park reduced in size, to encouraged increased use of buses and trains.”

No, you encourage use of buses and trains by providing good bus and train services!!

Bloody mairie.

Was just thinking the same thing…
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jbob, they're a bit slow, got that email last week. And not Cornu ...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Almost a foot of snow outside Chez Ricardo here in Montroc. Time to stop drinking tea, get dressed and have a go.
latest report
Viz? Winds?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

Bloody mairie.

Where do they expect half of Argentiere to park now?! If I wanted parking chaos, I’d have got a place in Cham Happy

And no news on the long-promised direct connection from the railway station to the ski lift.
snow report
@snowdave, I am afraid it's just the continuing saga of Fournier not understanding the basics that skiers (and golfers, etc.) have kit to transport. And that cycling is not an option in 50cms of snow. Blinded by eco-nonsense.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@snowdave, I am afraid it's just the continuing saga of Fournier not understanding the basics that skiers (and golfers, etc.) have kit to transport. And that cycling is not an option in 50cms of snow. Blinded by eco-nonsense.

The man and the dynasty he is part of are a menace. I can't vote but I can support the opposition (who got enough votes to scare them last time). The bus and train options used to work from LH but both have been modified to make them unusable!
ski holidays
@Idris, I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of maximum sustainability and reducing hydrocarbon use, but ski resorts gotta ski resort.
snow report
Meltus wrote:
"Capacity - similar to the old lift"

Sooooo still quicker to just skin up then. Marvelous.

This says 1,800 people per hour, but it also says completed in 2023 so who knows how accurate it is: https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/grands-montets-argentiere-chamonix/ski-lifts/l108809/

700/hour would be unbelievably bad for a continuously running lift though. That the uplift rate of old-school two-seat chairlifts.
ski holidays
I think the 600-700 people/hour is a planning restriction (same as old lift). The difference is that the cable car had a real-life capacity of 294 pers/hr whereas the new one will have the same actual capacity as theoretical capacity so twice the old lift.
snow report
@8611, looks like I am out of date now.

Visibility poor until I finished then marvellous

No wind where I was.

Wet snow below Charmillon. No doubt there will be posts yakking on about powder, but there was plenty of fresh snow. Almost over the handlebars in the wet stuff at the very bottom.
ski holidays
Tomorrow (Sunday) may be a good morning to head for the Tête de Balme as it didn’t open today. No doubt there will be a frenzy but there could be a couple of good runs after a cold night.
latest report
jbob wrote:
https://www.chamonix.net/english/news/brevent-ski-area-operating-period-extended

With Brevent opening for another week, what is the likelihood of Flegere extending a week as well? Would they keep the liaison open too if they did? Thinking of a weekend there 22/23 April for a last couple of days of the season.
snow conditions
Actually, think I’ve in part answered my own question. Source and Charlanon chairs not listed as running so no way the liaison will be open.
snow conditions
@bigtuboflard, it hasn’t been announced … possibly because without Index, Trappe Chavanne and Evette aren’t terribly entertaining?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@bigtuboflard, it hasn’t been announced … possibly because without Index, Trappe Chavanne and Evette aren’t terribly entertaining?

Thank you, it’s a fair point. I was hoping for a few easy days close to Geneva that didn’t require driving down to Val Thorens or Tignes/Val D’Isere and I’ve had some great spring skiing in Chamonix before. Might just have to bite the bullet and hire a car for the longer drive. Flights are booked so would be a shame to miss out on the current conditions higher up especially as it’s forecast to stay cool for another week so should stay in decent condition.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bigtuboflard, Grands Montets will be open (weather permitting)?
ski holidays
Yep, that is an option. Was going to ski instead of snowboard but my skiing isn’t great so wanted blues with the odd easy red to go at. GM is somewhat limited in that regard from memory.
snow conditions
@bigtuboflard, true dat
ski holidays
Those with an annual pass - did we actually get a free day pass for guests this year? I cannot find any reference to it in my emails/online account, but was convinced we did?!
ski holidays
@fixx, yes, we did.

It came as a separate email.
latest report
Thanks @under a new name - any idea who the email came from, or subject? I can't find it Embarassed
snow conditions
Title: “ Votre code réduction (email à conserver)”

From: CMB - OnLine Booking / info@compagniedumontblanc.fr
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Title: “ Votre code réduction (email à conserver)”

From: CMB - OnLine Booking / info@compagniedumontblanc.fr

Text contained promo codes and link to purchase page.
snow report
@under a new name, ta. I've searched, but just can't find it. I'm in Cham, so might swing by the office later - trying to sort it out for a friend who might ski - but also might not bother Smile
snow conditions
Hi all I've the chance for 2 days in cham mon/tue next week. Where should I be heading for anything worth skiing on? Thanks!
latest report
@edargyle07, welcome to SHs Happy

My nurse said the Vallee Noir was pretty nice.

Sis in law's kids enjoyed Flégère thi safternoon.

Grands Montets will be totally end of season lovely like?
ski holidays
Good, even great snow conditions to be had for a little (or lot) of effort.

Tuesday we had our first ever trip up the Arpette Valley. Going via Champex lift takes 300+ metres out of the climb. 1000 metres uphill (and lots of tea and fuel) later we had had enough. Pristine north facing fluffy snow. Very quiet and a top ten ever ski. Get there before the lift closes for the season. A future annual venue for us.

Thursday after a day in bed, up to Mont Fortin. We were the only human powered group up there. Total of about 500 metres up for another set of fresh tracks and about 1000 metres down. Not quite as good as 2 days before but still fantastic. 2 more days of lifts open at Courmayeur to take advantage of. The traverse from the Col de Youla is very serious over the cliffs.

On the other hand you could splash 500€ and 500 gallons of aviation fuel for the same thing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy