Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
coldrainsnow wrote:
How's the snow at Grand Montets? I was up at Flaine yesterday and it was raining up until about 2000m, and some of the wettest powder i've ever seen over that to the top. Lots of snow, but impossibly heavy. Wondering if it got any lighter up high at GM.

Epically good at GM. particularly gullies and dips above 2200m where it seems bottomless.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Top of Bochard first thing felt like hard work, lots of heavy snow and bad vis. Found some nice snow around Retour Pendant so did a few laps of that as it got tracked out. Sun came out by lunch, did some laps of Herse and Bochard, variable but mostly quite good, I think a bit of sun softening was good for the Bochard area. Predictably quite chopped up and starting to get a bit slushy lower down by the end of the day.

Excited to get further from the pistes with the guide starting tomorrow, lots of people heading up on skins from Herse and Bochard this afternoon. Currently warm and sunny in the valley.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@drewclarke, pm sent.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Loads of fresh snow at Le Tour today, quite heavy but still lots of fun to be had. FL seems to have been much lower than the weekend which is good. Highlight was some seriously deep stuff in the trees off the Vallorcine side of Posettes, skins and guide definitely required though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@coldrainsnow, uhhhh, "powder" isn't wet ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

@coldrainsnow, uhhhh, "powder" isn't wet ...

haha I realize that, the oxymoronism was implied. Is that a word? Smile

"Cement" would have saved some keystrokes I guess.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowing again at a reasonable rate in Argentiere now
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@coldrainsnow, I would not like to comment Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grand Montets along with most of the inhabitants of the Chamonix valley today, absolutely mega. Knee deep in a lot of places and lighter than the previous snow. Great week so far!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think we can all agree that the powder is quite dry right now. Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has anyone been up Le Tour or Les Houches recently please?
Heading out on Thursday for last trip on the season and hoping to take the Wife up Le Tour Embarassed Laughing

Innuendo aside...How are the pistes holding up?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is unreal (and depressing Crying or Very sad )
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CplGvHjupu5/?igshid=YmRhY2Q4MGU=
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PortSki, le tour looks totally fine, Grands Montets still has little powder pockets, apparently ... Les Houches, uh, not so much ...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

'
I came down from col de balme today and le tour was getting slushy by noon already, especially the bottom half. It was 18 degrees in Cham this afternoon! South facing stuff is getting roasted all day long. I guess it is officially now the second half of March.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@coldrainsnow, so only a bit over seasonal norms? Also are you sure it was 18C? Hasn't been that warm in town all week, not forecast and certainly not that even in the sun on the other side in Checrouit...
snow report
@under a new name, not sure why you keep trolling me, just trying to give information on the thread. My bergfex says it was 17 degrees today - I was walking around town in a t-shirt, and my car thermometer definitely said 18 about 14:00.

but yeah, you're probably right. nowhere near that warm! skiing at Le tour will be great next Thursday.
latest report
Cold untracked actual powder to be had up the Periades glacier if you can drag yourself up there. Stay right over lookers right where there is most shade.

Had a look up the North West Face of the Aiguille de Toule before, which was not so unmissable.
snow report
Infoclimat.fr has the high in chamonix as 18.2 today.
https://www.infoclimat.fr/observations-meteo/temps-reel/chamonix-mont-blanc/07469.html
latest report
@coldrainsnow, truly I'm not trying to! The infoclimat data appears to be sourced from the MeteoFrance site, so I'll totally accept that.

It was ~8C when we wandered out at 19:50 ... Eh oh!
ski holidays
End of trip for me, very warm indeed when leaving the valley. Pistes as you would expect, very firm in the mornings and slushy in the afternoons. North facing off-piste still holding some nice snow if you can escape the tracks. Our guide even found us fresh tracks yesterday though it did involve 700m vertical of skinning & walking! Overall the gamble was absolutely worth it, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday were fantastic Very Happy.
latest report
@DonSheaf, glad you did, you never regret rolling the dice in my experience
ski holidays
@DonSheaf, Tip top Happy Mrs U and Bro U said that Thursday was lovely especially the bumps skiers' right off Herse. And the latter part of the week has been great weather - It's spring after all Happy

A bit grey today however ...
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Thursday was lovely especially the bumps skiers' right off Herse

Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
@BobinCH, que?
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, que?

It’s positively criminal to have been skiing bumps last Thursday Shocked
snow report
Ah, they only skied the bumps to get to the stashes beyond but the bumps were apparently lovely snowHead

But of course it had mostly been skied out ...
ski holidays
PortSki wrote:
Heading out on Thursday for last trip on the season and hoping to take the Wife up Le Tour Embarassed Laughing

Innuendo aside...How are the pistes holding up?

Just back from a week at Les Houches.

It was a fantastic week - by the end of the week it was quite hot and things were slushy on the lower areas but looks like there should be more snow over the next few days so would hopefully be ok.

Hope you have a great time!
ski holidays
So, what's the snow like in Chamonix at the mo?

Did it get anything recent?

Thinking of popping out there 2-3rd April.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
it's getting some but snowline 2,000-2,200 apparently.

That said, there’s heaps of base up Grands Montets. Pierre a Ric maybe less so?
ski holidays
@crosbie, skied the Gross Rognon variant of the Vallee Blanche yesterday midday in 2 foot of fresh snow higher up. And some fresh snow down to the Mer de Glace.

Plenty of snow in all the resorts to see them through until the season close. The quality of the snow you encounter will depend on the weather between now and when you arrive. But snow there will be.
snow report
Good news. Looks like winter is finally arriving this year Laughing
Heading out to GM last week of April. Hoping for sunshine and endless spring skiing (and sun bathing) rather than deep new snow snowHead
snow report
HammondR wrote:
@crosbie, skied the Gross Rognon variant of the Vallee Blanche yesterday midday in 2 foot of fresh snow higher up. And some fresh snow down to the Mer de Glace.

Very nice.

Still 50:50 regarding a visit to Cham, but it'll depend on weather over the next few days.
ski holidays
Brevent extended (partial) opening for a week. Not sure I’ve ever seen that happen !!
ski holidays
@under a new name, I received that email. Funny though, seems to exclude where one would really like to open; Cornu. I suppose it provides some nice skiing.
snow report
Maybe those lifts and runs are safest to secure in sunny spring weather.
snow conditions
@HammondR, and maybe also possibly limited secouriste staff?
ski holidays
Grands Montets raining at Plan Joran, snowing at Marmottons. Snow is a bit sticky. Pistes in good shape.

All the areas closed today briefly due to risk from a thunderstorm.

Forecasts are for high winds, falling 0°C isotherm and heavy snow, 120cm over Saturday at altitude.
latest report
Grands Montets raining at Plan Joran, snowing at Marmottons. Snow is a bit sticky. Pistes in good shape. Very quiet.

All the areas closed today briefly due to risk from a thunderstorm.

Forecasts are for high winds, falling 0°C isotherm and heavy snow, 120cm over Saturday at altitude.
snow report
@jrussell88, there was certainly thunder in town
snow report
Question for you all:

Heading to Courmayeur today (don't ask, it must be that we like skiing in the rain).

Our normal Easter m.o. would be to head to Giacomo's (is it really called 'The Old House' or something) to eat sat in the sun with everyone else. Other than that the places I've gone have been more along the lines of 'spoiling yourself with a really nice lunch' type.

That's not going to happen today, but my daughter wants to take her friend to eat pasta on the slopes in Italy (and I don't want to spend a firtune).

So where can anyone recommend for us to get fed, dry out, and warm up?

Thanks for any help.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy