Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
Did 6 runs on Saturday in zero viz. Dropped a good 25cms yesterday in Champoluc village, which will have improved everything.

Tried the Sans Souci last night for a burger - rather good!

If staying in Champoluc, Crai is now doing “home” made frozen pizzas - very nice!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent, I’ll be on the snow by lunchtime Friday.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, did you go for the full season pass?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Super Steezy, no. The apartment rents very well - great from a € pov but not so much for sneaky trips over.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking forward to our trip to Champoluc on 19 December. Does anyone know if more will be open by then? Currently looks like only a few slopes open
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bella2015 wrote:
Looking forward to our trip to Champoluc on 19 December. Does anyone know if more will be open by then? Currently looks like only a few slopes open

Looks like about 60% of slopes open by now, more expected by the weekend.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bella2015, I'd be amazed if the main areas were not all fully open by then, if not by this Saturday. Punta Jolanda maybe not so much - not so cannoned up. But all the usual stuff.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@maddness, @under a new name, not looking like much snow is forecast until we arrive. Will we be ok to ski on pistes just with the snow canons? I guess no off piste will be possible
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bella2015, there is more snow just now than there was when we were there in February, you will have a fine time on piste. Expecting decent off-piste this early in the season is unrealistic in the extreme.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bella2015, yes to on piste, almost certainly no to off piste. But, TBH, that's not so unusual at this time of year.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’m here now. On piste conditions are fantastic but off piste is all tracked out and not great. They still only have about 50 or 60% of the pistes open.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@maddness, hope you are having a good time! Any talk about when they plan to open more?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are having a great time as we always do here. Not sure about opening more slopes though as it’s exceptionally quiet here from today.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@maddness, l think l read somewhere that they plan to open more by the weekend but if not, is what is open enough to keep us entertained for one week or should consider maybe going to another Aosta resort for one day for variety ( not sure how easy is this to organise)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bella2015, I would say yes, but we don’t have the weird fascination on available kilometrage.
snow conditions
@under a new name, hmm thank you. I am with you there abut some of the others in my group want this “sense of travel” and doing something different each day. The piste map does look a bit limited at the moment so a little worried about keeping everyone happy (personally, l am very happy to repeat my favourite runs over and over but ..)
ski holidays
@Bella2015, check out real-time snow cams for champoluc at ... https://www.snoweye.com/?resort=it_champoluc

click on the val d'aoste link to see snow conditions in nearby resorts ... plenty of good snow around.
snow report
@Bella2015, you don’t really get the sense of scale from the piste map. The runs are pretty long …
ski holidays
There is always a great sense of traveling in Champoluc and further along in Gressoney and Alagna and the majority of pistes are very long. There is plenty to keep you entertained.
snow report
Thank you all! Feeling more reassured now.. l find this is a curse of being a trip organiser, l feel like l will always get blamed for anything falling short of people’s expectations
ski holidays
@Bella2015, there is a very simple solution to anyone’s disappointment …

How to organise a group (ski) holiday in one simple step:

1. Announce you are going on holiday, on these dates, to this location and that anyone who wishes to join you, may do so.

Job done.
ski holidays
@under a new name, yep this is exactly what l did. But now that the others have joined, l still feel responsible
snow report
@Bella2015, no, really, life's too short!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Bella2015, there is a very simple solution to anyone’s disappointment …

How to organise a group (ski) holiday in one simple step:

1. Announce you are going on holiday, on these dates, to this location and that anyone who wishes to join you, may do so.

Job done.

This 100%
snow conditions
Have fond memories of staying in the Hotel California in Champoluc some years ago Very Happy
ski holidays
Hotel La Rocher for me!
snow conditions
@Ignatius, fond "memories"?
snow report
Bella2015 wrote:
Thank you all! Feeling more reassured now.. l find this is a curse of being a trip organiser, l feel like l will always get blamed for anything falling short of people’s expectations

I can relate to and also hate this feeling! I'm sure the Germans have some pithy logical compound word for it!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bella2015, looks like all the pistes that are usually open opened this morning https://www.visitmonterosa.com/en/monterosa-ski/in-tempo-reale-winter/

Monterosa isn't really a great destination for powder style off piste, although the off piste per se is pretty cool. Punta Indren not open but I suspect not filled in enough.
ski holidays
@under a new name, in what sense? It doesn't get a lot of snow fall or?

Had presumed the mythical bearded scandis of Alanga would want powder?
latest report
@8611, it gets quite a lot of wind, due altitude . Not saying there isn't great off piste, just that it's not so often powder as say, around Chamonix/Verbier/etc. IMHO.
ski holidays
@under a new name, thank you! We will stick to on piste . Looking forward!!!
snow report
@under a new name, I also have a sense it gets hit slightly less than the other sides of the ridge? From last few years watching Chamonix seems to get more of the storms. Wonder is that borne out by the data.

I'm going to do my best to catch in powder nonetheless, I think it's my number one target at this stage.
snow report
@8611, do a search on the "retour de l'est" which is the weather system that plasters the "southern" alps e.g. Monterosa. Prevailing weather however favours the northern/western side as a general thing.
snow conditions
Ah yes. Was wondering was the prevailing from the other side.
latest report
Visiting for the 1st time in 2 weeks, any updates as to conditions from someone out there?
snow conditions
@wam15, 2 weewks out far too far away to worry too much. Webcams look pretty OK
snow report
Fingers crossed then! Whilst I'm here any mountain restuarant recommendations?
latest report
@wam15, depends on where you are staying. For Champoluc I'd go to Rascard Frantze just below the Crest area on the right hand side by the piste back to Champoluc. Also the Baita Stella Alpina, take the Ostafa chairlift up, then ski halfway back down. And Le Bistrot for their amazing and free Happy Hour spread, just buy a drink and help yourself to the decent spread.
ski holidays
Quote:

amazing and free Happy Hour spread

Not sure it's as good now as you remember it. Certainly wasn't last winter (too many brits and scandis treating it as free dinner). And they've stopped doing pizzas, at least in the restaurant in the evening.

Also, Frantze weren't doing lunch for a few winters - not sure if they are now. ALthough having looked at http://www.frantze.it/en/restaurant.asp they were open for lunch in the summer ...

@wam15, to an extent depends where you're staying (and skiing). We had a couple of nice lunches at the Hotel Cré Forné above the Crest bubble (which had changed management for last winter so no guarantees what this winter will be like) - easy for pedestrians from Champoluc to get to and lovely views from glass walls. Not cheap and cheerful however Very Happy Our usual routine from Champoluc start is to get across to at least above Alagna and lunch somewhere there-ish. Punta Jolanda is reasonable and reliable.

Other than the hotel and the Frantze we rarely find ourselves eating above Champoluc. In passing the Edelweiss beside the bubble station is serviceable without being exciting.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy