Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scouts Winter Sports Staged Badges

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bit of a random one but realised my boys could probably get the stage 2 and maybe stage 3 of this badge - has anyone ever done this for their kids and what evidence did you submit.

This is the requirement for stage 3 and I am pretty sure both the ESF Gold (son#1 has this) and possibly the Prosneige Silver snowboarder would cover "the 2 of the following" parts at the bottom, it's the first part items that I'd struggle with proof of (although we do quiz the FIS rules on our drives down!). Am guessing some kind of essay?! That'd go down well Laughing

Complete the following badge requirements:
Identify hazards of the mountain environment.
Show you understand what to do in the event of an accident.
Show you know and understand the ‘Ski Way Code’ published by the International Ski Federation (The F.I.S.)
Understand the effects of extreme temperature in cases of frostbite, hypothermia, sunstroke, heat exhaustion and dehydration. Explain how they are avoided and treated.

Choose and complete two of the following:
Demonstrate a sequence of 10 linked turns
Complete a free run down a moderate to hard slope (red) showing balance, control, good choice of line and awareness of other people on the slope
Complete a 3km cross country ski route on a prepared track
Complete a 500m cross country ski route on varied terrain
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@always29, “cross country” Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, it's 2 of the following - so basically can ignore the last 2 items on that list as it's not skiing or snowboarding which would be covered by the first 2 items. At least that's how I am reading it!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@always29, ah missed that!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Badges…badges…we don’t need no stinkin badges Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah but what would Mummy do on a rainy Sunday afternoon if she had no badges to sew on Scout shirts for her stinking pre-teen boys Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@always29, I'd have thought there would be some sort of questionaire to complete, or at least some guide lines. (at least if they've though it out properly).

Presumably someone has already gained these badges at some time, so there must be a process?
It would have to be appraised by somebody who knew what they were talking about anyway,

a decent quality video should suffice as proof for the second part.
One decent run should include more than the requisite number of linked turns.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
always29 wrote:
Ah but what would Mummy do on a rainy Sunday afternoon if she had no badges to sew on Scout shirts for her stinking pre-teen boys Laughing

She’d get that new-fangled* iron-on glue.

(*well, it was when I got my Advanced Scout Standard. Or A.S.S. Which I figured out years later Laughing )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Few years ago we got these badges. We put in photos, badges and ESF levels that correlated to the badges. That was enough!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
IME, they aren’t particularly demanding on proof. A sit down with one of the leaders and a talk through would probably be enough if you have some supporting photos and a bit of a presentation.
Most leaders are quite happy to dish out badges.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Many years ago, we (Catterick Ski Centre, RIP) ran a course for a local Scout group to get their Skiing badge. The ESC had a Bronze, Silver and Gold skills level test which we used, along with the Scouts standard as a bench mark for them all to gain the badge. We did use a bit of artistic licence as our main slope was only 40 meters top to bottom.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy