Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2022-2023 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Great in Flaine but tightwads have kept Diamant Noir chair. closed. Eh oh!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 15-03-23 23:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well they finally opened Lindars Nord so we had a go at Fred (the red) and Agate (the black). Fabulous
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Amazing poudreuse at Flaine today!!! I had exactly two hours between airport drop-off and kid pickup and I made the most of it, brilliant knee-deep super dry powder and it wasn't even super tracked off-piste when I got there at 10. Blue skies and sunshine, WHAT A DAY!!!

Glad they got Lindars open @nbt, they were blasting it when I was there. I did tree laps on the lower half of the bowl because I didn't want to mess with getting up top.

Got a full day free tomorrow, hopefully it doesn't get too warm this afternoon. Gers looks amazing and untouched but that AV risk is too high right now.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gers in fresh is perhaps my favourite ski place in the world.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are tracks all over the place, some of which are close to some very big slides. I wonder how desperate you have to be to ski some of the stuff I've seen when the avalanche risk level is 4.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thinking about attempting Faust before it gets too warm tomorrow- research suggests it has some steep sections? I'm not a black run skier, and am not known for attempting unfamiliar reds without consideration. I can see its possible to do sections of it and then move onto familiar blue runs (Emeraude/Tanzanite). Any suggestions on less challenging sections to sample welcomed- or any recommendations on other reds that are more purple than at the red/black boundary. I will be on my own while my niece trains so self preservation with fun are the goals!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Faust is a very nice flowing red, nowhere near being black. It’s amazing in the mornings, one of my favourites before it gets destroyed by people around noon.

Actually none of the reds Are particularly challenging in Flaine. Only by afternoon the bottom sections become a mogulled mess when it’s warm
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was told the Gers draglift had a test run today...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Late Starter II, the steepest and more difficult part of Faust is towards the bottom, especially if scraped and hard/icy but it's wide and you can bail out to skiers right so you end up in Foret. Best run in Flaine imv.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

@Late Starter II, the steepest and more difficult part of Faust is towards the bottom, especially if scraped and hard/icy but it's wide and you can bail out to skiers right so you end up in Foret. Best run in Flaine imv.

agreed, and it's not the pitch that's difficult, it's the scraped and icy parts in the middle if you don't expect them. the other steep pitch on the run is the first drop from the very top, and it usually has quite good snow. I would say try it, and if you're not comfortable on that first steep part you have plenty of time to bail before the second to last pitch at the bottom. it's a great run, one of my favorites too when the snow is good! I would honestly say it's a "purple" like you are describing - if you have no problems with the first steep pitch of serpentine, or even cristal, you should be fine on Faust.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @Alexas, @billb, @coldrainsnow, looking forward to giving it a go!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gers is marked as open…
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gers here we come..,
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Late Starter II, I am not a black run skier either anymore, and only did them to keep an eye on the kids. Much prefer to enjoy my skiing than endure it but that said Faust can be a real pleasure. Parts of Cristal and Serpentine can be just as challenging on occasions. As others have said, if you are a bit concerned do a Goldilocks and pick it when conditions are just right. Other half has just arrived in Geneva for his chaps weekend. So he will be piling on the miles!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @Cheesie168, tea break after two rounds of Faust Very Happy
The width is fantastic for sure.
First run was almost deserted, snow good all the way. Penultimate section in shade which I found a bit more challenging. Getting busier on second round but the top section still glorious. Penultimate section getting some sun. I can see how it could get less straightforward. Now to ski a variety of mostly blues before temperatures get too high
ski holidays
@Late Starter II, you sound like my kind of skier. Enjoy yourself. If you go up the Aup de Vertan, Mephisto can also be very nice and you can occupy yourself using Aujon as well.
snow report
Aujon is shut today, the Trappeurs from the army barracks are holding a competition in that area
snow conditions
@nbt, Oh I love it when they are in resort. Seeing some of the new recruits just get started on skis is great.
ski holidays
Cheesie168 wrote:
@Late Starter II, you sound like my kind of skier. Enjoy yourself. If you go up the Aup de Vertan, Mephisto can also be very nice and you can occupy yourself using Aujon as well.

Agreed, Mephisto is a cracker!
ski holidays
considering to come to flaine for the last week : 08 till 15 April
I will book last minute, because i dont want to take the risk of the weather etc
However, assuming that snow/weather conditions are as expected which is usually the situation as regards as open lifts/slopes?
they operating as usuall or the will be only a few open?
Or restaurants etc
ski holidays
@Cheesie168 thanks, yes Mephisto is on the radar, planning a curcuit this afternoon.Back to Aujon tomorrow possibly as only skied one side so far.....the army have been in the area since at least Sunday but they were just lining up across the access to Celestine when I saw them last on Monday- super politely they did let me through... Laughing today they have a gazebo by the bottom of Stade my niece has relayed..
snow conditions
The following links are useful for planning a day out
Start with this over breakfast, checking which links/lifts/pistes will not open (red cross), which have been groomed (green piste basher) and which should/might open (yellow hourglass)

https://www.grand-massif.com/en/weather-forecast-opening/

This also gives reasons for planned closures like "reserve competition" or "reserve trappeurs" as above

Once the lifts start running, you should have this page bookmarked on your phone. The filters (bottom right) allow you to "Show open facilities" which will grey out and closed pistes or lifts
https://grandmassif.2dmap.spotlio.com/
snow conditions
@Late Starter II, if you can ski Faust you'll ski Mephisto easily - go as fast as you can on the down and up section or you'll end up polling. After Mephisto you could take the chair to your left and ski Fred (red but easier than Faust). That can have the best snow as it doesn't get hammered by the sun so much. That right hand side of the Flaine bowl (looking up) generally holds up best when conditions deteriorate, in my experience.
snow report
Thanks @billb, Mephisto is great indeed!,
snow conditions
Gers was nice, but after an hour the whole world seemed like they were there!
snow report
@BAN there was a notice board at the bottom of Aup de Veran gondola advertising Gers was open ....
latest report
Bit of a trek from the top!
ski holidays
Temps have rocketed and we’re already seeing slushy snow
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lindars Nord running again, Fred has been pisted and is fabulous. Agate has not, and is mogulled, but it’s soft snow so great skiing
snow report
Gers showing as open again, not sure we’ll make it
snow report
Had a look at Gers but didn't ski it. Only a few people in it. Very much spring skiing now, it was getting soft as high as the Desert Blanc
latest report
First thing was quiet, had a go at a couple I hadn't done before-Diablotin and Belzebuth, snow great on both. There are what seems to be a random but probably planned selection of reds left unpisted each day: yesterday Belzebuth was one, today Lapiaz was included (I'm happy to wait and hopefully ski it first thing tomorrow).
Very warm from about 11am onwards: the mozzies were out at the bottom of Stade this afternoon.
Photo of Diablotin first thing.

ski holidays
Cracking last day for us, at least in terms of the pistes. Faust, Almandine, Amethyste, Fred were all excellent. The number of idiots who seem to think that going fast = being a good skier was less great, the weekend sunshine seems to have brought them all out. Typical spring skiing, pistes were hard and icy first thing, softening late morning before turning slushy and porridgy by early afternoon

Gers didn't open (as far as I'm aware, at least, i didn't go to check) but being the weekend, Diamant Noir chair was running, and Veret opened - though only after we'd passed it on the way out to Flaine, so we didn't get to use it. Corbalanche was running too thankfully, as i hate the trek down Portet to get the Tete des Saix back to Samoens

Highlight of the day was getting a chair on Chariande Express with local kids who were craning their necks looking at something that turned out to be a Gypaete (aka Lammergeier or Bearded Vulture) flying just above the lift station. Fabulous to see it so close, having seen one at a slightly higher altitudes back in January.
snow report
nbt wrote:
The number of idiots who seem to think that going fast = being a good skier was less great, the weekend sunshine seems to have brought them all out.

Totally agree, not sure what the point is going really fast on a blue slope. I would also add that there were lots of people struggling with reading and usually standing in "do not stop" area.

Anyway, we had a good fun but I was surprised by number of people on Saturday, is it a France thing or just this resort's due to lack of gondolas? on Saturday around late morning it took mi 15min of queuing to the main gondola running to the top in Flaine.
btw we got stuck in Flaine with car in Samoens, so took a bus to Les Carroz and was advised in tourist office to try hitchhiking and 3 cars stopped in 5min. Apparently it's very popular over there.
snow conditions
Quote:

Totally agree, not sure what the point is going really fast on a blue slope. I would also add that there were lots of people struggling with reading and usually standing in "do not stop" area.

that's better than groups of people stopped right in the middle of a piste I guess. I'm always baffled at how folks can't think about where might be a good place to stop out there....

Quote:

Anyway, we had a good fun but I was surprised by number of people on Saturday, is it a France thing or just this resort's due to lack of gondolas? on Saturday around late morning it took mi 15min of queuing to the main gondola running to the top in Flaine.

15 minutes isn't actually that bad for the DMC on a busy day. of note you can get up to the top with the chairlifts in usually much less time, either taking Desert Blanc or Diamont Noir to where you want to be on the top. It's not sheltered from the elements I guess, but unless there's no line in the express lane i never take the DMC.

Quote:

btw we got stuck in Flaine with car in Samoens, so took a bus to Les Carroz and was advised in tourist office to try hitchhiking and 3 cars stopped in 5min. Apparently it's very popular over there.

In many of the mountain areas here there are no bus lines or slow bus lines, so everybody hitchhikes. it's a viable way to get around to be honest and has never felt sketchy to me, but I am also more apt to pick up somebody with a bunch of gear I guess....
snow report
Ah yes getting off the 2 man chair lift to Agate and Fred, people just standing by the bit where the sign clearly says 'Do not stand here'. The reason is coming off that lift has a bit of a down slope and it would be easy to take someone 'out'. We noticed so many people standing right across many pistes. There are signs on the lift pylons and people don't read them or don't care. People also setting off without turning to look if it's clear. One wouldn't set off in a car without looking.
Just one other thing while I'm having a rant, if one is skiing on a wide open clear piste, why do certain people think it's fine to close pass at speed? Is it a case of 'look at me' I'm faster and better than you? Sad

Luckily 'most' piste users do look, do stand at the side and do look out for others.
ski holidays
Quote:

15 minutes isn't actually that bad for the DMC on a busy day. of note you can get up to the top with the chairlifts in usually much less time, either taking Desert Blanc or Diamont Noir to where you want to be on the top.

Thanks to the energy saving measures, Diamant Noir only runs at the weekends, and for most of the time we tried it, the DMC was running at half speed for the same reason, so had enormous queues. As a result in 27 days skiing GM this season, we went up to the very top maybe a dozen times in total
ski holidays
@coldrainsnow, you get close to the top on the Diamont Noir chair but if you want to turn right to ski Mephisto you have to walk/ sideslip uphill a bit.
snow conditions
@billb, or take Amethyste which joins Mephisto a short way down
snow conditions
@nbt, indeed, I stand corrected. Forgot about Amethyste!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy