Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2022-2023 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
@alexsas, the ones giggling are probably the ones that never ski it - I think if you ski something you appreciate the difficulty a little more - and frankly to ski most of the blacks in the Grand Massif with perfect technique requires a high level of skill - you don't see many people in that category.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Millom wrote:
@LittleSnook @robb0, either way it'll be good to catch up with you both sometime this week even if tomorrow doesn't work out. My last ski day is Saturday. We're heading to Vercland for first lift and then over to Flaine. Will be wearing blue jacket/hood over helmet if you'd like to join?
will see where I'm at in the morning! I'd like to try some of those black runs at some point this week too. I'm in black coat/bag/helmet (with sh sticker) and unmissable trousers Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@robb0, no problem. Could do the Les Carroz blacks on Thursday (tomorrow). I'm also planning to meet another guy at 2.15-2.30pm today top of Tete des Saix by the outside chairs next to the restaurant for some easy late afternoon skiing (they are blues and reds only). Feel free to meet then too if it fits.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
(@LittleSnook) @robb0, nice to meet you briefly this afternoon. Let me know later if you'd like to join for a ski tomorrow. Gers bowl is calling Smile!

Slightly surreal end to today as I was checked out of my accommodation (four days early) without my knowledge. On an even more serious note the same individual removed my personal items from the room and put them in a ski locker including within them my wallet with cards/cash, computer, passport, etc. If anyone has any advice on how I should proceed I would be grateful.

Today was another sunny day where the groomed snow was lovely but became a little trickier over time. However the resort remains fairly quiet which has helped a lot. Skied separately with two guys from Samoens Ski (Facebook Group) today which was nice. If anyone else would like to meetup over the next three days give me a shout.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's surreal for sure... did they bother to explain their actions?
What you can do probably depends on how you booked: I would have thought that it would be reasonable to ring AirBnB or the letting agent to ask for a solution...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dang @Millom, sorry to hear about that roomie situation going bad.

Skied Cascades for the first time today and it was super fun! Agree with everything Millom said from a few days ago - snow is pretty good up top, gets rocky through the middle, and then was quite icy today down toward the village where you're on the road and it tightens and narrows up. Definitely not a "beginner's blue" and the icy parts skied more like reds (for short sections at least). Lots of carnage on the way down, I grabbed a loose ski at one point and delivered it to a guy who was about 20 meters below it on the ice. My 10 year old cruised it though, he's been in ski school with his class this week and the technique lessons seem to have paid off!!!

All in all it's a great run - feels remote and has wonderful views of the Fitz and the cirque back there. Definitely some flat sections but if you knew where they were or can beau patinoire effectively they aren't a problem. I'd love to do it again when the snow was better down low. I clocked 12km on my watch and it took us 38 minutes, stopping for lots of pictures.

Agree with Millom, Flaine felt empty today and the snow has softened up a bit from last week which is actually nice. More and more bare patches here and there, but it's still quite skiable... might try to get out one more day before the masses descend next week.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Millom wrote:
(@LittleSnook) @robb0, nice to meet you briefly this afternoon. Let me know later if you'd like to join for a ski tomorrow. Gers bowl is calling Smilee would like to meetup.

I'm in Flaine now and thinking about doing Gers again soon. There was some good snow in the Combe de Veret as well. Be good to meet if you're over this side this morning Smile on the Grandes Platières now..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi @LittleSnook, just got back to the apartment now and absolutely knackered Smile! Missed my 2.15-2.30pm meetup because I was delayed with Cascades bus Sad! I had a ski around on some groomed slopes until around 11am and then did three laps of the Gers bowl (two lifts back up, the black from the top and the red from the top) and then the cross country skiing by the lake to the refuge and onto the Cascades run at the corner. Bottom of that was probably worse than the other day but at least it was quiet. One section they had pushed everyone into a very narrow bit which if it was busy would be chaos. Had a little/brief explore of the Sixt slopes and then had to wait for a delayed bus. By which time I was ready to collapse so did a few easy bits in Samoens 1600 (having abandoned trying to get to meetup at Tete des Saix). Down the red to Vercland and bus home. Leaves me the one black in Les Carroz to complete, the blue at the top of the Gers lift if I can cope with Cascades again Smile (probably would be in the morning if I did), and some off piste stuff in Flaine.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was another hot day today and the slopes remain not too busy. Sixt and Samoens 1600 have some nice beginner slopes which were perfectly used to recover a minimal amount of strength in the afternoon. I'd probably update my review for Cascades and now recommend only for above average intermediates (i.e. anyone happy to negotiate the scraped lower/steep slopes into Flaine) otherwise I don't think you'd enjoy the experience and could be a little dangerous. For anyone else common sense is required from where you see the first stones appear until you reach the bridge and restaurant. Take care! I made a first visit to the Gers bowl today. The access from the blue is via a narrow traverse which is currently fine but could be tricky if the snow was icier. Once on the black run itself the first part is not too bad and the biggest bumps can be somewhat avoided, the next section is really nice skiing where you can gain a rhythm, the very last narrow gully is the most awkward part and is probably best undertaken by side slipping on either side and only trying to actually ski turns nearer the bottom (experts excluded). The lift back up is not actually that hard, the track for the skis is currently fine, it is quite steep in places but not difficultly so, but it is long and you'll more than likely feel it in your legs Smile! The continuation past the lake to the refuge is a bit of a slog and requires a mixture of skating and walking. It doesn't take an age but it does knacker you out particularly if done after a few laps of the Gers.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 2-02-23 16:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Millom, did your accommodation issue get resolved?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To those talking about my messy situation I've sent a PM. Thanks for asking.

I think the slopes will hold up ok until next week but the hot weather forecast for the weekend may cause problems early next week. The worst spots are the steeper runs as they enter Flaine, link runs (high and low), and some of the lowest slopes i.e. to Vercland, Sixt etc.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Millom, I think Gers has a lot more to offer you. The black run is pretty much as off piste as the rest of it. I believe it is there so that they can claim it is patrolled. Willing to be corrected on this put it seems to make sense. Enjoy!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I'd probably update my review for Cascades and now recommend only for above average intermediates (i.e. anyone happy to negotiate the scraped lower/steep slopes into Flaine) otherwise I don't think you'd enjoy the experience and could be a little dangerous. For anyone else common sense is required from where you see the first stones appear until you reach the bridge and restaurant.

Agree, that was my take away on it after yesterday. Was very glad my 10 year old thrived and looked smooth - but we all know kids are better skiers than us by far. ;

@Millom, how was the snow in Gers? Is it holding up okay (realizing it will take a hit after the heat this weekend)

Trying not to look too far ahead in the forecasts, but blah they're not looking great right now, and we've got the kids at home for the next 2 weeks haha! Oldest doesn't have class until 15:00 tomorrow (we'll he's got English but that's a joke lol) so we'll hit Flaine for a half day in the morning at least before dropping him off for Physics. He skied Praz-de-lys with his classmates yesterday and had a grand old time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@coldrainsnow, I think the snow off piste is still generally ok with the exception of any bits which have been heavily skied i.e. one main way to go on steeper ground. The large moguls on unpisted blacks seem to have much icier snow than elsewhere which makes them doubly difficult at the moment (at least for my level). Most of the Gers bowl was quite nice (and as ian999 mentions routes away from the marked bit may be better still). Regarding snow coverage it all seemed pretty good in the Gers bowl with little evidence at the moment of things to avoid. I wasn't expecting it to have been tracked quite so much and I think the more difficult sections would have been easier back when the area was opened up at the weekend.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Will do a couple of laps of the small Demoiselles chair in Samoens 1600 first thing to ski a couple of equally small runs between it and the 6 seater. Should be there around 9.05 until 9.15-9.20am if anyone would like to join up. Will be wearing a blue top with hood and probably a blue rucksack.
snow report
Had a great day skiing Flaine today - gorgeous views, warm sunshine, and the icy parts starting to melt a bit by lunchtime. It almost felt like spring skiing at times! Snow was surprisingly good, maybe even better than last week when it was much colder... it does seem they are working hard moving snow around to keep the pistes in good shape. Got in a solid four hours of reds with our son and even got him back in time for physics at 15:00. Called him in "sick" for English from the lift!!!

Crowds are starting to pick up but it never felt packed on the slopes. 2 minute line for the dmc express lane, never a wait for the chair lifts. not sure where everybody goes haha.

We might try to brave the first day of vacances tomorrow because the kids have football on sunday, but we'll see... it looks to be another pretty warm one. maybe a bit of snow on the horizon for late next week? argh, too far away to tell......
snow conditions
Hi @coldrainsnow, glad you both enjoyed your day in Flaine. Yes it did feel very warm at times today. I completely agree that it seemed today was the first signs of a freeze/thaw cycle which meant off piste was difficult in the morning but nicer later. Also as you say there is now signs of snow harvesting to supplement snow cannons. More and more gaps are appearing in the snow but still mainly off piste and on sunnier aspects. I thought it looked like this week may be much busier than last but in the end I think some people came for a long weekend and then went home resulting in the week perhaps even being quieter. I shall be out tomorrow (final day) but probably taking it easy (at least in the sense of not rushing around). Forecast suggests an even hotter day so the freeze/thaw cycle may be even more apparent. Have a nice day if you do go out.

Had a brief ski with LittleSnook today after meeting him and robbO in the morning. It was nice to finally meet and I did try to find you later robbO but I failed.
ski holidays
Going to test out Cascades first thing tomorrow via Gers and the 'la peuf' blue (seeing what it's like after overnight grooming/piste bashing) and try to make the first ski bus back at 10.40am hopefully avoiding the morning rush. Then probably a leisurely play around the upper parts of Flaine before returning over to Morillon at the end of the day and skiing the best bits back down to the village to finish my trip.
ski holidays
Another good day at Flaine today, although the Haute Saison crowds are in full effect. It wasn't that bad though honestly - congested on the blues that get funneled into narrow spots (bottom of Tourmaline and Serpentine). We found lots of space on the upper half of the bowl, occasionally taking reds back down to the bottom. Snow is surprisingly good on the top half still - a bit scraped in some spots, but very skiable and fun. Views were epic until the clouds blew in about 14:00 and the light quickly went flat. We never waited for a lift, sneaking on the DMC thru the express lane multiple times with only a couple minute wait (even getting seats!) and using the sièges when the DMC was really backed up.

Weather looks cold this week but no precip... a refresh would do the mountain wonders for sure.

How's the snow fairing in the other spots in GM?
snow conditions
Saturday was another generally sunny day. My plans were altered as the Gers lift wasn't opening until after 11am so I missed out on the blue and went straight to Cascades (the Gers blue is definitely the better way to start this run though). Cascades was a little thin higher up and the stony section lower down still wasn't great however the lowest section winding its way down to the valley floor was a really good ski on a nicely groomed piste. If you must do this run then make a very early start although I'm really not sure it'll be worthwhile for much longer and may even be shut soon without new snowfall. Marvel is also looking a little bare in places and may suffer a similar fate. Early morning remained excellent on any groomed slope (not all are so check the daily bulletin) and later in the day I'd recommend trying to get a few turns on one of the race/stade pistes which remain in good condition.
latest report
We skied around Morillon yesterday and Samoen today. All slopes in generally good condition, including Doina. Both areas seem quiet and lift queues were minimal (only one queue of less than 5 mins today all day). At times we were the only people on a run.
snow report
Quote:

We skied around Morillon yesterday and Samoen today. All slopes in generally good condition, including Doina. Both areas seem quiet and lift queues were minimal (only one queue of less than 5 mins today all day). At times we were the only people on a run.

Nice! We're heading back tomorrow, maybe we'll expand our horizons a bit and explore the areas other than Flaine. Wink
snow conditions
These updates are great! Thanks!
snow conditions
Millom wrote:
Saturday was another generally sunny day. My plans were altered as the Gers lift wasn't opening until after 11am so I missed out on the blue and went straight to Cascades (the Gers blue is definitely the better way to start this run though). Cascades was a little thin higher up and the stony section lower down still wasn't great however the lowest section winding its way down to the valley floor was a really good ski on a nicely groomed piste. If you must do this run then make a very early start although I'm really not sure it'll be worthwhile for much longer and may even be shut soon without new snowfall. Marvel is also looking a little bare in places and may suffer a similar fate. Early morning remained excellent on any groomed slope (not all are so check the daily bulletin) and later in the day I'd recommend trying to get a few turns on one of the race/stade pistes which remain in good condition.

Thank you for the updates. They were really comprehensive and reassuring. We are out on the 25th. Hoping for at least one good dump before then to freshen up especially with half term holidays. Have often skied GM end of Feb beginning of March with no snow below Les esserts so not too worried yet. Anyone out there in the next 2 weeks please keep us updated.
snow report
We had another great day skiing Flaine on Tuesday, chickened out on spending time at the other spots and just headed to the bowl haha. It was an absolutely gorgeous sunny day with views all around, and decently cold again. We got about a 1 cm dusting Monday night which was enough to cosmetically lighten things up a bit but that's about it.

The pistes on the top half of the bowl are still in very good skiable shape - we had a blast. It's easy to get away from the crowds if you stay up high and on reds and blacks. The steeper sections on the bottom half of Flaine are getting a bit thin and/or icy - second to last pitch of Faust, last pitch of Almadine, last pitch of Diabolitin for example. Still skiable but some pebbles for sure. Blues have been congested during the vacances, especially where pistes get pinched and narrow.

Off-piste is thin anywhere that's getting sun at any point during the day. Was surprised and found some great powder yesterday near my house on the north side of the Bargy, across the valley from Flaine... so there are still North facing pockets with great snow out there haha. But yes we still need a refresh terribly - fingers crossed, it doesn't look like next week....

We might try to head back with some friends on Saturday so will update more next time we go.
snow conditions
@coldrainsnow, for you and anyone else arriving soon I'd be recommending heading to the Gron Lift area of Les Carroz, Le Lac Lift taking the left variation from the green avoiding a short walk, the blues above Samoens 1600, the top left runs in the Flaine Bowl (i.e. Cristal, Serpentine, and maybe some of the reds), the drag lifts bottom right in the Flain Bowl around Aujon, Grand Grenier lifts, stade areas such as Morillon's Stade and Etoiles, and finally any beginner areas. Once the freshly groomed pistes are no more (mid-morning??) then these are the places I'd expect to remain in decent nick the longest (although I left a week ago so my information is not current) Smile.
snow report
The Aujon and Grand Grenier drags had some really nicely conditioned pistes and side-bits when I left a week ago too - good tip
snow conditions
A little detour by Grand Massif yesterday, and I was amazed to see that the snow was holding on quite well all the way to Morillons village - we're talking alt. 700m! I know it's a North face that only has afternoon sun right now, but still.

Obviously it's going to suffer this week.

Side note: the crowds are there, good luck to whoever is skiing these next 21 days...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Side note: the crowds are there, good luck to whoever is skiing these next 21 days...

No kidding, we've been skiing here all season and this was the first time it was overwhelmingly crowded. The reds + blacks on the top half of Flaine Bowl were still decent, but any blue that got you anywhere else was packed and a minefield of skiers down on the snow. It didn't help that many of the links are getting slushy and moguled in the afternoon sun.

Also agreed, snow feels like spring snow but it's all holding up better than I expected. It's gonna be a trainwreck by the end of the week though.

Quote:

good luck to whoever is skiing these next 21 days...

So this is our first season here... when do the February holiday crowds usually taper off? Does it really last the whole month? Feeling very grateful for those empty powder days in January right now!!
latest report
Lots of Brits this week, Parisians arriving from Saturday, next week will be busier. I’ve had property in Flaine for 15 years and these two weeks are best avoided if you aren’t tied to school holidays. Last week of Feb normally a little quieter.
ski holidays
Quote:

Lots of Brits this week, Parisians arriving from Saturday, next week will be busier. I’ve had property in Flaine for 15 years and these two weeks are best avoided if you aren’t tied to school holidays. Last week of Feb normally a little quieter.

Thanks, this is good to know. We were expecting it to be crowded but were a bit blindsided after it was fairly mellow last week! It's fun to ski with our kids when they're out of school, but not if it's like that every day haha. Glad we got some good days in last week, and if/when it dumps again totally good with taking them out of school for a day mid-week.
snow report
French school hoidays are very formulaic. Each area has two weeks and which area has holidays when is rotated on an annual basis. This year area A (which we tend to refer to as 'local') has weeks 1 and 2, area B (Marseille) has weeks 2 and 3, and area C (Paris) has weeks 3 and 4. This thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156939 contains a useful chart which also includes all the other countries that may or may not come.

Area A produces the lowest number of visitors. So if they are first (as this year) or last in the rota you get a week at the start or end of the 4 week period that is still quite quiet. The real carnage happens when Paris and Marseille are there at the same time, which as @Faust1 says will be from this Saturday. And then throw in Brits, Dutch, etc. depending on their weeks......

We always plan that if Paris and/or Marseille are visiting, we aren't!
ski holidays
Quote:

This is probably some of the best advice to be found on the Internet. Wink

It all makes sense now - we knew that the holidays were staggered, but honestly didn't think it all through in terms of impact of crowds at GM. One of those theory vs. practice things, and we experienced the practice yesterday haha. Thanks for the link to the chart too, will be useful to plan for next year!!
ski holidays
One other thing you might like to think about is using some of the season pass free awaydays during the French school holidays.

There's a long list of places that we certainly wouldn't visit during this time as they will be as busy (Avoriaz, Morzine, etc.). But there are also a load of smaller places which would be easy day trips and we think may not attract as many people during the (non-local) part of the school holidays. This is just a theory, we've never actually tested it, but it might be worth a go next week. Just watch out because some of them are pretty low and may not be worth doing with the current snow conditions.

This is the list:
https://www.skidecouverte.com/conditions-generales-dutilisation-des-ski-decouverte/
ski holidays
Quote:

Unfortunately we don't have that luxury this year. Due to GCSEs we have to go Feb, would have preferred Easter and not into Xmas/New Year.

Every year so far we'd be skiing this week. However, school changed its dates for the first time and we arrive Saturday for a week. Expecting queues but have always had them in Feb when we've gone. Will do the usual (get out before ski schools/ski over lunch etc). Otherwise it is what is is. Any other tips very much welcome.

Not been to GM before and have based us at Morillon Les Esserts - hopefully a good choice??
latest report
I am amazed at how well the snow is holding up on the Grand Massif, Samoëns is starting to look a little tired but we have just had a great weeks skiing between Samoëns and Flaine. (just don’t be tempted by the Cascades route to Sixt, absolute carnage and a recipe to seriously damage your ski’s!) Shocked
snow report
kettonskimum wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately we don't have that luxury this year. Due to GCSEs we have to go Feb, would have preferred Easter and not into Xmas/New Year.

Every year so far we'd be skiing this week. However, school changed its dates for the first time and we arrive Saturday for a week. Expecting queues but have always had them in Feb when we've gone. Will do the usual (get out before ski schools/ski over lunch etc). Otherwise it is what is is. Any other tips very much welcome.

Not been to GM before and have based us at Morillon Les Esserts - hopefully a good choice??

If the group can do a Red (and it is open), the Grand Cret run down to Vercland (between Samoens and Morillon) is wonderful with a bonus of a great stop called La Reposette at the bottom.
ski holidays
kettonskimum wrote:

One of our favourite places to stay in GM, that's as a family plus other families joining us.

Very convenient for snow access, good home run piste, all wide gentle to return on. Fairly quick to get out into the rest of GM but decent amount to ski locally.

Obviously snow conditions harder to read this year than many, but being predominantly shady in North aspect it does generally keep thatt which has accumulated well.

Hope you enjoy the week.
latest report
its carnage in GM. too many people. horrendous queues at the access points. morillion was awful. best place to access is les carroz 1500 if you have a car...the crowds are in 1200, so drive past them 10mins up the mountain. luckily we are staying down the valley bottom in magland so have bailed out and skied in megeve...much nicer ! still busy but not stupid
latest report
backhojo wrote:
its carnage in GM. too many people. horrendous queues at the access points. morillion was awful. best place to access is les carroz 1500 if you have a car...the crowds are in 1200, so drive past them 10mins up the mountain. luckily we are staying down the valley bottom in magland so have bailed out and skied in megeve...much nicer ! still busy but not stupid

Our experience could not have been more different. Perfectly pisted and empty Grand Cret every morning down to Vercland. Followed by perfect corduroy down to Morrilon and more of the same in Le Carroz. Did I mention various pockets of powder off Coulovier and around Gers/Sixt?

But yes, in general it is utterly crap, so don’t bother coming (just so there is more of the good stuff for us) Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy