Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2022-2023 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
First day on the slopes today. Due to chasing the sun I headed over to Flaine (unplanned) late morning. The weather was nice with great views over the ski area and towards Mont Blanc and the perfect peak to its left. Lifts queues generally not too bad up to 5 mins max. Still quite a few pistes closed but the open pistes were generally in good state. No sign of any ice anyway just a bit of scrapped snow here and there. No free to pick up paper maps is a real pain. There probably is an environment element that I don't disagree with but using a phone is not super practical and the lack of many large screens showing the pistes/lifts makes the process of navigating precisely difficult if you don't already know the area. Today also involved a mini explore of Les Carroz and skiing most of Morillon. End of the day was nice and quiet although there was a bit of flat light and fog during parts of the afternoon.

Offer still open if anyone would like to join for a ski. Drop me a reply or a PM. Could be some fast piste skiing or exploring some safe/easy off-piste (between pistes or closed runs). Will be starting the day from Morillon 1100 but can get anyway that's open.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm the person from the Geneva transfer last night for those that I spoke to about Snowheads on the way over to resort.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Coulouvrier was open again today I think accessible via blues from either direction although I didn't get there. Cascades and the Gers bowl were shut. If you want some peace and quite head over to Zeolite at the head of the Gers bowl. Some flat bits to navigate but I was at the corner for about 5-10 minutes without seeing another person taking some photos/videos.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I few people seemingly talking about the cold. I didn't find it too bad today at all. I have falling to pieces trousers but had a layer under, three top layers, a helmet with a hood over, and ski goggles. Max height about 2500 and skiing North facing down to 1100 until around 4-4.15pm. The one and only time I was really cold in Pila was not even comparable Little Angel.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had a family day up in GM on Saturday, and it was definitely the most crowded it's been all year (although we haven't been going on the weekends a ton). Snow was pretty icy down low, especially in Les Carroz. We headed over to Flaine and the snow and the sun was of course much better over there. All of the connector squeeze points were very very crowded, carnage everywhere on plein soleil, etc, and then hot doggers going way too fast on these parts. My kids are good skiiers but one got clipped by an idiot going about 4x as fast as the next fastest person. Folks being very pushy in lines as well, my older kid literally got pushed over by an adult that was definitely old enough to know better. But to be expected for a Saturday I guess.

We found Flaine much more chill, but maybe that's just because we know it better. DMC had big lines but we usually just take the two sièges up to the top anyway, no lines there. Mephisto Supérieur was open as well as the Lindars Nord lift. Faust fully open now. We had fun doing laps on the "off-piste" of Lucifer, under the Desert Blanc siège.. @Millom, this might be a good place to start, the snow is good and it's pretty mellow but fun.

And yeah, i'm officially chasing my kids down runs all day now. Sigh, what have I done?!?!?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi guys. Has anyone been buying ski passes via the official Grand Massif app? I have two questions: do I need physical cards first in order to purchase the passes via the app? The app says that Free passes (-8 years old and 75 years old and over) are issued only on presentation of proof of age, so how does it work? Can I still buy it via the app?
Thanks!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i bought ski passes for the children (-8 y. old)
I have done it on line from the webiste. I think sometimes you have to attach a photo of something e.g. passport that proves the age of the children.
I paid 22 Euro and the send them to my adress. But i think you can hold them in Flaine (not sure)
and i think you can reload old cards.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Passes can be picked up at the resort.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, sorry to jump in on this thread.

Looking at booking the last week of the season (9th April) in Samoens as this is the only time we can go. For those that have been this late in the season have they ever closed the lifts early before the published closure date due to lack of snow??.

Its clearly a risk, and can't predict what will happen with the weather but what it been like in previous years?? any insight welcome.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Reading the thread with interest, heading to Flaine this weekend. Seems still a reasonable chunk of runs not open but enough by the look of it.

Anyone got any intel on Happy Hours in Flaine, when where?

Most resort review websites are out of date now with a lot of the places either changed hands or closed. Staying in Flaine Forum? Also seems to be a few bars/restaurants with something going on at the end of the day from what I have read but cant find many details.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Has anyone been buying ski passes via the official Grand Massif app? I have two questions: do I need physical cards first in order to purchase the passes via the app? The app says that Free passes (-8 years old and 75 years old and over) are issued only on presentation of proof of age, so how does it work?

@michmike, we bought our season passes online this year and we had to upload images of our passports iirc.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Similar conditions today as yesterday. It looks like a few more runs will start to open - most of the unopen pistes are heavily tracked anyway perhaps with the exception of Cascades. Today was sunnier than yesterday with great views including a partial inversion. North facing slopes perhaps a little hard first thing so good edges on your skis/boards an asset. Two of us will be at the Morillon 1100 fast chair lift at 9am tomorrow morning if anyone would like to join.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Millom wrote:
Similar conditions today as yesterday. It looks like a few more runs will start to open - most of the unopen pistes are heavily tracked anyway perhaps with the exception of Cascades. Today was sunnier than yesterday with great views including a partial inversion. North facing slopes perhaps a little hard first thing so good edges on your skis/boards an asset. Two of us will be at the Morillon 1100 fast chair lift at 9am tomorrow morning if anyone would like to join.

Where are you headed - I will be at sam1600 @9?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi, we went to Flaine today. The other guy David met up with some family early/mid afternoon. Could say meet at the Tete Des Saix, we'd need a second lift so probably talking 9.15-20am? No specific plans, not sure about David.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Millom, gr8 opposite exit of colouvrier lift? I’ll take of my red atomics (should stand out despite my blue jackets & trousers!). Ru sure u can make it by 920? Could say 930?
latest report
I think 9.20am should be perfectly doable with 2 x 5-7mins lifts and a fast ski down Cool. I'll be wearing falling to pieces trousers and a blue top, David had a lovely mustard outfit today Very Happy.
ski holidays
First sign of some snow melt/wear of the pistes this morning. A bit of bare ground has appeared in Morillon 1100 where the slope has been used for sledding and skiing. There is still snow on the trees and it still seems deep in many places so this is probably just a combination of bad maintenance and overuse.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 24-01-23 8:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Wildsmith, we'll be on the first Coulouvrier lift too more than likely if you just wanted to ski down to there from Samoens 1600. Otherwise we'll see you at the top of the same lift. Yesterday we had to wait for a couple of minutes for it to start even though it is scheduled for 9am.
snow report
Heading to Flaine on Saturday for a week - in terms of lift passes, is it the same price to buy in resort, or should I buy online beforehand?

Cheers
latest report
Usually same price in resort, though recently they were running a promo online where you could get a 6 day pass for the price of a 5 day pass = worth checking
ski holidays
Thanks!
snow report
Get well soon Mrs @Wildsmith

Nice ski today with it feeling pretty hot at one point (suncream tomorrow). Pistes still holding up well but scraped at the end of the day. Beginners and the nervous probably best to return to their local slopes in good time and then search out some quite/out of the way runs. Slightly less rock hard pistes first thing which made it a little easier on the legs to get going. Off-piste still generally quite soft/light practically everywhere but bumped up with skiers trails.

Same arrangement tomorrow so either catch us at the Coulouvrier lift (probably around 9.15am at the bottom and 9.25am at the top approx.) if you'd like to join for some energetic piste skiing and some fun.

I think there are cheap lift passes on Saturdays.
ski holidays
@Imalittlelost, likely the lower slopes will be closed or in bad condition but I'd expect above 1600ish to have potential to be good skiing. Samoens or Flaine would therefore be better options than Morillon or Les Carroz in my view. But obviously expect to take the lift up/down from Samoens 1600. Another thing worth noting is that a lot of the ski area would be served by single lifts (by that I mean the skiing is limited to under 2500m and there are very few lifts that would for example serve exclusively above 2000m) this I think means you'll find it harder to escape bad conditions than somewhere where the domain stretches higher or starts higher.
ski holidays
A friend is in Flaine at the moment, says he hasn't seen any 1 euro printed piste maps - are they supposed to be available from the lift ticket windows etc?
snow conditions
Good day expertly filmed: -

http://youtube.com/v/tChRChh_ZLQ
snow report
Another nice day on the slopes with the sun starting to perhaps melt a little of the snow and create some small bare patches off piste. Crowds remain quite low particularly early in the day. Snow is still quite light off piste but I expect that to change over the next few days. Conditions should remain good into the weekend and then a top-up early next week if it happens would probably be perfect timing.
ski holidays
Looks like Cascades is planned for opening soon, maybe at the weekend or else on Monday.

Regarding the runs in the Grand Massif I'd consider most of the reds on the easier side and no harder than some of the scraped and congested link blues. The blacks seem to nearly exclusively be left unpisted so in good snow provide powder and/or moguls. I actually think the Les Carroz section is the most interesting having a few separate bowls to explore. Flaine is one large bowl with many similar pistes and without the feeling of exploration but plenty of manageable off piste. Morillon and the Coulouvrier area offer some long runs and a bit of variety but not a great extent of pistes. The valley which Coulouvrier occupies is very pretty with some small waterfalls visible from the lift. I have yet to explore the Samoens sector fully but my impression so far is that it would be perhaps the least interesting of the areas.

Update: yes the Samoens sector feels small but it does include some testing unpisted blacks.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 27-01-23 7:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Notification from GM App - Cascades and Gers Bowl likely opening on Saturday.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not quite so good weather yesterday. There was a layer of cloud just below the peaks that made it difficult particularly above the villages. It also meant it felt at times a lot colder than any other day this week. A couple of useful lifts have also remained closed reducing the ability to lap at a higher altitude. In addition another key link lift was closed (mechanical?) that caused a long queue above Les Carroz. Today's forecast suggests perhaps something similar. It's worth noting however that the run through the trees from Morillon 1100 to Morillon Village although officially closed is very much pisted and skiable with many using it to return to the base at the end of the day. This suggests that Cascades when it does finally open will likely be in nice condition at least in the short term.

Edit: there is still a continuation of snow melt higher up particularly visible off piste. Still not drastic but a trend.
snow report
Lovely above the clouds and Veret drag now open - a huge bowl of fluffy snow. Above the clouds double checking they hadn’t opened Gers: -

http://youtube.com/v/dp0kiyOnHrA

Missed you by 15 mins @Millom- tomorrow at top of coulouvrier?
snow conditions
Fun day today, we skinned up from Les Carroz and headed over to Flaine to meet some friends, including one guy that has been skiing the bowl since 1967. Smile It was beautiful above the clouds, but damn they were hard to get through on the way back down. I don't deal well with flat light and even got a touch of motion-sickness at one point without anything to focus on... followed my wife as closely as I could and it got better having something to lock my vision on at least. The pistes coming back down into Les Carroz are all pretty bad - sheets of hard ice with beginning skiers spread out all the way through trying to make it down. We usually park there because it's shorter than Flaine but i'm strongly considering driving the rest of the way up!

Quote:

Edit: there is still a continuation of snow melt higher up particularly visible off piste. Still not drastic but a trend.

Yup, I couldn't believe how much had disappeared since last week up high - around Tête des Saix, anywhere getting full sun is looking patchy and bare off-piste. We really need a refresh - maybe mid-week next week? fingers crossed. I'm glad to hear the snow was good off Veret at least.

Saw a bad accident on Agate as we were heading up the Linders Nord lift. Guy tried to aerial off the big ledge drop-in about halfway down and missed the landing, fell probably 20 feet tumbling down the drop. He still had some movement in his arms but definitely couldn't get up on his own. His friends rushed down to get SAR I assume. Really hoping he's okay and that it wasn't super serious. Stay safe out there!
snow report
Wildsmith wrote:
Lovely above the clouds and Veret drag now open - a huge bowl of fluffy snow. Above the clouds double checking they hadn’t opened Gers: -

http://youtube.com/v/dp0kiyOnHrA

Missed you by 15 mins @Millom- tomorrow at top of coulouvrier?

Hi, I'll aim to be at the top of Coulouvrier Lift by 9.30am but we need to checkout of our accommodation so I could be a few minutes late. Had a relaxing end of the day today, last day skiing with David and met up with his family/friends in the afternoon. Anyone else arriving who would like to join feel free to do so for some athletic (if poor quality) skiing.
snow report
It was cloudy today but the murk stayed out of the Flaine bowl until the afternoon. Off piste snow still largely soft and a few more lifts/slopes are opening at the weekend. I also saw a few (what seemed to be) serious accidents or at least the aftermath so take care on the slopes particularly the link routes and towards the end of the day. Piste marker poles have now been positioned on Cascades and I think it will open tomorrow. Tomorrow likely to be busy with day trippers so probably looking for a few quiet spots to relax.
ski holidays
All valley runs officially open tomorrow as well as a couple of the lifts serving off piste bowls e.g. Gers. The two higher level lifts shut most of this week also reopening but not sure if this will remain the same all next week. A few pistes still closed but not a large number and more likely due to actual snow conditions rather than saving the piste or lack of resources etc.
snow report
Well I see Cascades is open (I'm not there but have been often. Later in season maybe....).
ski holidays
Cascades was open today but the queues for the bus back took about an hour. Gers was shut due to a mechanical problem from what I could work out. For anyone coming out it is very cold with temps of -10 in Flaine.
latest report
Another day of inversions this time a little higher again. Like yesterday felt cold inside the clouds but fine in the sun. A few new lifts did open today along with the Cascades run (as mentioned above). The off piste is still mostly good (some patches on South facing and small amounts of crud). Veret is a useful drag that was fully open today (had a few moments earlier in the week I think). It serves a red that would suit most people and a black that is not too taxing for adventurous intermediates except for some crusty snow in places, and a selection of off piste of which I chose the other side of the drag lift joining many other tracks and people. The lift is not particularly difficult so give it a go! Grand Grenier is another lift that has mostly been shut that opened fully today (baring a mechanical) and it's an easy lift too serving some short but ok runs. Aujon which has been open all week is harder than either of these as you get a double jump at the start which is fun but dangerous/embarrassing for the unknowing and difficult for the beginner. I skied into Morillon Village today too and the run is in good enough shape at the moment so definitely preferable to a down-lift for most people. The pistes are taking a bit of a battering (and more people today than last week) and it's not always easy to get an edge. I wouldn't however say there is much evidence of ice. Best conditions are on piste early in the day and off piste thereafter.
snow report
Great report @Millom! Very informative.
latest report
@Millom, I can't believe that Aujon still has the double jump/kick!

Thirty years of that and they still haven't fixed it?
snow conditions
Bois is even more fun but unfortunately closed for the whole of the season, due to energy conservation measures
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy