Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flights booked this Saturday, where do I go!!

Poster: A snowHead
I have booked flights to Geneva this Saturday but am struggling to pick somewhere to ski. I'm not sure where is open or the snow is good. Any help would be much appreciated.

All 3 of us are pretty good standard skiers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes Val Claret or Lac could be a good choice.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm heading to Zermatt on Monday for 4 nights. Train from Geneva is relatively simple, but quite a trek - about 4 hours. So, may not work depending on your flight arrival and departure times.

I've hedged my bets on it being one of the more extensively opened resorts by then.

Everywhere else I looked at and was considering had at least one sector definitely closed until Saturday 17th.

If there's three of you to share transfer costs, Tignes would be an option for you, but it wasn't for me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow drone run a shared transfer service from GVA to Tignes/Val for €75 single (If you are a snowHead!)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Start here with open resorts and work from there

https://www.skiresort.info/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tignes!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@EborFlee,

Tignes is a decent shout. Hideout hostel, dragon lodge or Tignes Chalet company.

Val Thorens is another option..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, everyone. I was hoping on a shorter transfer than Tignes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Tignes Chalet company

That may be a challenge... Unless you plan to come in 2020 in a rented Delorean...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 5-12-22 23:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
EborFlee wrote:

Possibly Flaine then....but it only opens on the 10th.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 5-12-22 23:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow is really patchy - the extra transfer time, to find some, would be worthwhile.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
EborFlee wrote:

Realistically this early in the season you've not many choices, and most are a lengthier transfer. Tignes, Val D, Val T, Zermatt or Verbier is probably where i'd be looking from Geneva, none of which are short transfers.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Avoriaz and the top end of Chatel opens Friday. They were partly open the weekend gone, and there’s more snow forecast for Friday. We’re heading out to Morzine Saturday and will be up at Avoriaz/Chatel on Sunday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@EborFlee,

If you’re set on short transfer then Morzine (transfer with Skiidy Gonzales).

And ski Avoriaz and the bit of Chatel that’s open.

Acres to Avoriaz prob easiest from Morzine via the free and regular ‘A’ navette to Prodains gondola.

It’s ‘limited’ opening but will be quiet and the temps look ok.

Avoriaz official opening this weekend.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@bobski62,

Re: Tignes Chalet company……Eeek. Have not been to Tignes since pre pandemic. That’s a shame, stayed with them previously and they delivered a good product.
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
EborFlee wrote:

Possibly Flaine then....but it only opens on the 10th.

We are off to Flaine on 16th so been actively watching webcams and forecasts.

Spotted skiers out there yesterday at 11:30 local time

Forecast yesterday was suggesting 16cm of snow on Friday!

Obviously this can change but personally I am getting excited snowHead
ski holidays
@EborFlee, just checked latest forecast and it is now forecast the snow to start Thursday which is encouraging....

latest report
@EborFlee, we are booked with Sunweb which includes lift passes. A search shows lots available

https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/search?Allocation=2&Participants%5B0%5D%5B0%5D=1992-11-12&Participants%5B0%5D%5B1%5D=1992-11-12&DepartureDate%5B0%5D=2022-12-10&DepartureDate%5B1%5D=2022-12-10&Country%5B0%5D=13&Region%5B0%5D=52329&Duration%5B0%5D=8-8
ski holidays
Still (non-instruction) places left on this snowHead bash...
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=160634
ski holidays
@EborFlee,
At such short notice don't go where the snow is forecast, go where the snow already is.
snow report
Cheers everyone.
snow conditions
I'd head for Saas-Fee from Geneva (in fact, I'm doing that on 16 December!)
ski holidays
Verbier is only 90 mins away but I don't know what will be open.
ski holidays
@247snowman wrote:
@bobski62,

Re: Tignes Chalet company……Eeek. Have not been to Tignes since pre pandemic. That’s a shame, stayed with them previously and they delivered a good product.

Yes, it is indeed a shame. Likewise I've enjoyed staying with them a number of times and always found it great value and great company.

They could not risk keeping the chalets on during the pandemic so let them go back to their owners, I believe.

Chalet Chardons is still running as far as I know and offer a similar format and usually good value too. Only thing to be careful of is that as of now through to late December getting in and out of Les Brevieres (where they are mainly based) is a challenge, so own transport would be advised.
ski holidays
Kenzie wrote:
@EborFlee,
At such short notice don't go where the snow is forecast, go where the snow already is.

Unless you like skiing fresh powder, then go where snow is forecast Smile
latest report
EborFlee wrote:

Val Thorens is closer. Hire a car and it's a 2 hour 15 min (approx) drive. Very Happy
snow report
@EborFlee, Courmayeur - Hellbronner (plus Chamonix if stuff is open there) or Verbier. Dump on Fri/Sat, should be sunny on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday before more snow comes in. I’ll be in Verbier on Sunday hoovering up all the best pow snowHead
ski holidays
Verbier is easily accessible by public transport, so no hire car required. Yes, the total transfer time is 3h from GVA to central Verbier, but most of the time you're relaxed on the train. We're off there this Weekend and doing it by rail/télépherique. See the timetable at the SBB website, from 'Genève-Aéroport' to 'Verbier (télécabine)'.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@EborFlee,

Unless you like skiing fresh powder, then go where snow is forecast Smile

There can be a big difference between the forecast on a clickbait site and what actually happens.
latest report
bobski62 wrote:
@247snowman wrote:
@bobski62,

Yes, it is indeed a shame. Likewise I've enjoyed staying with them a number of times and always found it great value and great company.

They could not risk keeping the chalets on during the pandemic so let them go back to their owners, I believe.

Chalet Chardons is still running as far as I know and offer a similar format and usually good value too. Only thing to be careful of is that as of now through to late December getting in and out of Les Brevieres (where they are mainly based) is a challenge, so own transport would be advised.

Runs to Boisses & Brev scheduled to open 17 Dec.
snow report
EborFlee wrote:
I have booked flights to Geneva this Saturday but am struggling to pick somewhere to ski. I'm not sure where is open or the snow is good. Any help would be much appreciated.

All 3 of us are pretty good standard skiers.

A few on here have been to Val Thorens already this season and can report back on conditions (which from what I remember I believe they said it was pretty good)
ski holidays
Verbier on the train sounds good too!
latest report
LOTA wrote:
I'd head for Saas-Fee from Geneva (in fact, I'm doing that on 16 December!)

Saas-Fee was on my list of possible destinations for next week, but pretty sure I discounted it because it doesn't open fully until Saturday 17th.

I might be wrong, but assuming I'm not, whilst it would be ideal for you, it wouldn't be quite as good for OP or me.
latest report
But most places won't be "fully open" for a bit, will they? It's very early season.
snow report
No, you're right, @pam w, most won't, and it reinforces the importance of checking what's actually running in a resort that's "open".

Having just looked again, not much of Saas-Fee is open this week, and Hohsaas (Saas-Grund) doesn't appear to open at all until Saturday 17th. That ultimately sealed my decision not to go there next week, when the OP is looking to ski.

Should be much better for LOTA the following week though hopefully.
snow report
Not so close but if you rent a car Andermatt might be worth a look!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy