Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New shared transfer GVA-Alps: www.alpinefleet.com

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I found these guys today; they are new for 2023. They do private and shared transfers from Geneva Airport to many French alpine resorts.

www.alpinefleet.com

A shared return GVA – Val Thorens for example, is around €100. Plus, they will drop and collect you from a number of different locations within your resort.

So if www.altibus.com or www.bensbus.co.uk is not right for you, you could consider them.

Perhaps @admin might even arrange a discount code from them! snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They’re a broker no?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nadenoodlee wrote:
They’re a broker no?

That's a good question — thanks. I think they are more an agency for transport operators:

https://alpinefleet.com/partners/

It's their first season, so I'm happy to be a guinea-pig, I have booked with them, and I'll let you know how I get on.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Poogle, Make sure you know who will actually transport you, and that they are operating legally. I don't know the current situation, but when we were transfer driving in 2019/20 there were lots of mainly Estonian/ Latvian / Lithuanian minibuses operating without required paperwork or insurance. When they got pulled by the Swiss or French police the vans got impounded and passengers were just abandoned.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Must have been Baltic, left out in the snow at the side of the road.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RobinS wrote:
@Poogle, Make sure you know who will actually transport you, and that they are operating legally. I don't know the current situation, but when we were transfer driving in 2019/20 there were lots of mainly Estonian/ Latvian / Lithuanian minibuses operating without required paperwork or insurance. When they got pulled by the Swiss or French police the vans got impounded and passengers were just abandoned.

Good advice. As you say, there seems to have been a big clamp-down, and that is perhaps one of the reasons why private transfer prices seem to have risen so much.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Must have been Baltic, left out in the snow at the side of the road.

Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, I saw what you did there ... NehNeh

@Poogle,
Quote:

there seems to have been a big clamp-down

The Geneva taxi company has been working to secure all this stuff for years. Prices IMV have risen due to brexshit removing many uk drivers and covid just removing many seasonal staff.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yup, and fuel prices, and the shortage of new vans due to supply-chain shut-down raising lease prices. There were still lots of dodgy Eastern European van operations working last season, with false uk registered addresses and fancy websites - caveat emptor.

I see all Alpine Fleet require (at least in the first instance) to vet a new "partner" is a copy of a public liability insurance certificate, and the vehicle insurance certificate. This does not cover the reams of other licences, permits and fees required for both the vehicle and driver to operate legally cross-border and at the airport. Then it's made clear in the T&Cs that if the transfer goes wrong they're not liable. So good luck to them if they are kosher, but unless there is a secondary much more stringent vetting process, I wouldn't take the chance.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@shep, yikes! Me neither!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just getting back on Alpine Fleet. I work for the company and we are similar to a tour operator that charters coaches and minibuses for the season. Very similar to Bens Bus. We manage all our passengers and our vehicles are from French coach and minibus companies who are from the local area ( Savoie or Haute Savoie ) . We have a desk at the Airport and a very experienced team of staff who have worked in Alpine Transfers for + 15 years. Every operator must have a transport licence, public liability insurance and a robust fleet insurance to start the process of working with us.
Hope that explains things a bit more clearly. Wish you all a great season.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Poogle wrote:
[ private transfer prices seem to have risen so much.

Just done a quick "out of interest" quote for Geneva airport to Samoens... Euro 855 for 2, return (80km each way). Then on top of that there's flights, and airport parking, fuel to get to airport...
Good thing I'm driving from Shropshire. According to via Michelin driving both ways will cost Euro 574 for fuel and tolls, plus Euro220 for the channel tunnel.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just for information, using public transport in Switzerland, this Weekend's trip out to Verbier for our annual pre-season apartment check and setup cost us £272 per person. That's £89 return flight (front, speedy boarding, 1x seat + 1x cabin bag), £92 home<>LGW taxi (BMW 7 Series), £91 SBB Trains Geneva Airport <> Resort (Train+Télépherique+PostBus). All prices rounded-up.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thread resurrection but I used alpine fleet last week.

As you'd expect, compared to eg speedy Gonzales longer wait (about 3 hours iirc originally but flight delayed) and limited drop off points.

Big coach on way, small old minibus on way back. No idea re legalities Laughing

Would I use again? Depends. Traveling on own on budget as I was yes, if wanting convenience and speed, no I'd pay the extra 30 euros or so each way for SG/a2ski etc.

Ended up getting a 22 euro omelette the next day Shocked anyway which probably negated any financial gain

I did see signs at prodains for Geneva-prodains public bus which looks a cheapish scheduled option if trying to do budget
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are very lucky in that we can travel to our accommodation in La Tzoumaz by public transport. Take the train straight out of the airport, change in Martigny (with time for a cheeky beer) then either collected by family from the station or cable car then post bus. More relaxing than driving and takes about the same amount of time. Kids love it....

The big wins are that it is way cheaper than a hire car (total trip including air fare & train fare was £150 each), no traffic worries when returning to the airport and no faffing about dropping the car off etc.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy