Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dryland training--inline skates don't really carve. Quad skates better?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After reading a couple of threads here, I tried the rollerblade dryland ski training/skate-to-ski stuff, and I'm wondering if quad skates would be better than inline skates.

It seems like the inline skates act like straight, no sidecut skis. I tip them over to initiate a turn and they don't curve across the slope like I'm used to when carving turns on skis. Do they end up feeling more like shaped skis as you get better with them?

Even during rollerblade skate-to-ski video on the parallel turns drill, they mention that skates, unlike skis, have no sidecut, so the turn comes from femur rotation/pivoting not angulation/edging/engaging the sidecut. I think that's why the skating turns felt super weird to me. My inside leg kept stopping the turn unless I lifted it onto the front or back wheel to pivot around. Is that because I'm new to all this and not trusting the skates enough to angle the inside skate hard? Or is it just the downside of skates not having sidecut? I mean, the outside skate does turn when I lean it over and pressure it so maybe it's a matter of practice and similarly leaning and pressuring the inside skate. But I don't want to develop any weird habits training like this. I noticed I was lifting the toe of my inside leg to get it on one wheel to make the turn pivot more easily.

Anyone else run into this? I guess there are rockered inline skates, too. I was skating a pair of Macroblade 80s for reference.

I crammed my feet into my wife's quad roller skates to compare and they seem to act a lot more like sidecut/shape skis. Does it make more sense to get a pair of them for dryland training? I noticed a couple people have tried to improve on the inline-skates-don't-carve issue--the Harb Carvers and Skiroad skates--but it seems like a pair of quads would do the trick. Though I guess I couldn't lean them over as far as inlines. What do you think?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@InTheGlades, Welcome to SHs.

Clearly, you're doing it wrong. snowHead snowHead

For starters, inlines do reasonably well mimic the effect of carving, but IME the point isn't to replicate it but to give you a dryland analogue taht requires similar dynamic balance and uses some of the same muscle groups. Inlines use a different set of movements in the turn anyway, e.g. rotating shoulders into the turn, the opposite of skiing.

"Quad" skates are, I would think, going to be a pain to move around on unless you're on nice smooth indoors floors?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lessons
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @InTheGlades, Welcome to Snowheads

I have been working through the skate to ski programme over the summer and have really enjoyed it progressing from blades to quad skates and now on ice skates.

To answer your first question, quad skates steer differently to inlines so the technique is much less like skiing, stick with the blades and keep the quads for the disco.

I don't know how much skiing experience you have, but I found when I reached a more advanced level, that steering from the upper leg involving femur rotation is essential. Consequently developing this is an important part of the Rollerblade skate to ski technique. I was amazed at how similar the techniques required were.

There are some ski specific skates that attach to ski boots available at around Eu200 but you could get a great pair of blades for that.

https://skiroad.it/en/home/

The skating element is also fantastic for fitness and core strength and I still think that street skating around Manchester provides as much adrenalin and endorphine as a steep off piste route.

InTheGlades wrote:
After reading a couple of threads here, I tried the rollerblade dryland ski training/skate-to-ski stuff, and I'm wondering if quad skates would be better than inline skates.

It seems like the inline skates act like straight, no sidecut skis. I tip them over to initiate a turn and they don't curve across the slope like I'm used to when carving turns on skis. Do they end up feeling more like shaped skis as you get better with them?

Even during rollerblade skate-to-ski video on the parallel turns drill, they mention that skates, unlike skis, have no sidecut, so the turn comes from femur rotation/pivoting not angulation/edging/engaging the sidecut. I think that's why the skating turns felt super weird to me. My inside leg kept stopping the turn unless I lifted it onto the front or back wheel to pivot around. Is that because I'm new to all this and not trusting the skates enough to angle the inside skate hard? Or is it just the downside of skates not having sidecut? I mean, the outside skate does turn when I lean it over and pressure it so maybe it's a matter of practice and similarly leaning and pressuring the inside skate. But I don't want to develop any weird habits training like this. I noticed I was lifting the toe of my inside leg to get it on one wheel to make the turn pivot more easily.

Anyone else run into this? I guess there are rockered inline skates, too. I was skating a pair of Macroblade 80s for reference.

I crammed my feet into my wife's quad roller skates to compare and they seem to act a lot more like sidecut/shape skis. Does it make more sense to get a pair of them for dryland training? I noticed a couple people have tried to improve on the inline-skates-don't-carve issue--the Harb Carvers and Skiroad skates--but it seems like a pair of quads would do the trick. Though I guess I couldn't lean them over as far as inlines. What do you think?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I still think that street skating around Manchester provides as much adrenalin and endorphine

@Seahoob, the drivers haven't got much better then?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

I still think that street skating around Manchester provides as much adrenalin and endorphine

@Seahoob, the drivers haven't got much better then?

He's doing Ubercrack for pin money.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, It's not the drivers, it's the potholes!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I haven't tried quad skates since childhood but I have recently been rollerblading and would agree that the blades I had didn't turn much if they were leaned over, quad skates turn like skateboards and will turn when leaned over like a ski.
Also went ice skating last weekend, the horrid hire skates actually turned quite well when leaned over.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy