Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Champoluc recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Considering a last minute DIY booking in Champoluc for Christmas for a family of 4 - kids ages 8 and 12 , intermediate skiers and adults advanced intermediates . Have found a great TO deal but from MAN and my husband is not keen ( we are in London) . So trying to DIY it . Our friends are staying in Campzero which looks great but above our budget, so any recommendations for where to stay ? Hotels or apartments are both considered. Also any recommendations for ski school/ instructors for kids? Any other recommendations welcome too
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bella2015, we found the Hotel L'Aiglon comfortable and there was a good breakfast. I think there's a small wellness area (though that was shut under the covid hangover when we were there) and it's not too far from the lift (you can store gear at the ski hire place at the lift). Guess it depends what you want, but for us it suited - simple but effective!

Le Sapin restaurant was highly recommended to us by various people on here and proved to be a winner. The bar at the bottom of the lift - it's just a hut with outdoor seating, can't remember the name - was quite fun for Apres and did a decent hot chocolate with rum. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Breithorn brasserie has a very unprepossessing menu outside but we were dragged there in August and the poorly described food was really very good.

More for adults than kids but the Essential d'Andreone is also lovely.

Of course, the Sapin.

There's a new hotel in town which looks nice no idea re prices.

Aiglon or Belvedere might work.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We stayed here, well priced, comfortable and decent food. Not that close to the lifts though, we walked it each day. Kids left shoes at the rental place closer to the lifts.

https://www.hotelcastor.eu/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
We stayed here, well priced, comfortable and decent food. Not that close to the lifts though, we walked it each day. Kids left shoes at the rental place closer to the lifts.

https://www.hotelcastor.eu/

We have stayed at the Hotel Castor too, an excellent choice but as above about 400 yards from the lift. You can keep your skis at one of the ski hire shops nearby though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We've enjoyed the Hotel de Champoluc twice, although it was probably 10-15 years ago. https://www.hoteldechampoluc.it/

Basically ski-in, and almost ski out. Right next to the gondola, and a large comfortable bar area serving fantastic Bombardinos in front of a roaring fire, whilst trying to answer the questions on Italian "Who wants to be a millionaire" without any of us knowing any more Italian than "tre Bombardini per favore".

The owner was a bit of a wine connoisseur too, and held weekly Wine tasting 'lessons'. Take it easy on the slopes and during early apres that day - you don't want to damage your taste buds. See if you can get him to open the good Barolo Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Judwin, this is where the deal l found with TO is! However can’t convince my husband that it is worth flying from Manchester. Who did you book with , do you remember? Hotel doesn’t seem to have availability directly but maybe other TOs can offer London flights
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kitenski, @under a new name, @ElzP, thank you, will look into those
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bella2015, surprised TO can’t offer any LON flights Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bella2015, also looks like they have availability on their site Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, they can but very expensive ones so not a good deal
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bella2015, we had friends stay at the Hotel De Champoluc last season and went for dinner and drinks there with them - they were with Ski Esprit. Food was decent though nothing special (plenty of it and lots of selection so good for kids?), drinks in the bar were great, and they said everything was pretty comfortable and well organised (they have a 2 year old so were very keen on the baby sitting services!)

It's extremely convenient for the pistes!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bella2015 wrote:
@Judwin, this is where the deal l found with TO is! However can’t convince my husband that it is worth flying from Manchester. Who did you book with , do you remember? Hotel doesn’t seem to have availability directly but maybe other TOs can offer London flights

It was with Crystal both times, via Turin. I think we flew from Stansted, probably with Brittania before they morphed into Tompson/Tui.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, for Christmas week no availability directly on the hotel website
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I know you're trying to join up with some friends that have already booked, but personally, I wouldn't book for anywhere in the Monte Rosa area before/for Xmas (with the possible exception of Cervinia) until last minute when you know the snow conditions.

I've been to both Gressoney and Champoluc in mid January. Neither were fully open due to lack of snow. Gressoney just had 3 runs on ribbons of man made, and they bussed us to Cervinia on two days. Champoluc was better, but you still couldn't get over the top into the Gressoney valley.

The third time was in Mid March to Champoluc. The place was entirely different (as is anywhere to be honest) when the full area is open, and there is knee deep powder everywhere.

I know it's pot luck with the weather and snow, and it might well bucket down the night you arrive, but you can skew the odds by picking more snow sure places early season.
snow conditions
@Judwin, this is a good point- if we left it so late already, maybe we should wait till the last moment and see where the snow is and find some last minute deals if we can.. doesn’t have to be Champoluc, would be nice to join our friends but not a must just want to ski and it may well be our only chance this season…
ski holidays
So l have taken the plunge and booked Hotel De Champoluc with Esprit with Manchester flights - was just a good price, it was almost half cheaper then the same holiday with London flights. Hopefully it will be ok. As we are flying early on Monday 19 Dec- l guess we will spend a day in Manchester on Sunday , so need to something to do there for a day and a cheap hotel/ parking
ski holidays
@Judwin, I am curious as to when those trips were. Just because we go to Champoluc quite a lot and not "fully open" doesn't really resonate other than that e.g. the left most piste down from Ostafa is usually reserved for gate training, and lower Punta Jolanda slopes aren't very well cannoned up and can be closed in deepest season. F'rinstance.
ski holidays
In case it’s useful here is trip report I did for champoluc last new year. You’ll have a great time!

Plenty of snow cannons so I’d not be that worried about lack of snow based on my limited experience there.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158055&highlight=
snow conditions
@Langski, thank you - great reports! How old were your kids if you don’t mind me asking- ours are almost 9 and 12 so indeed on the very top of Esprit age and the older one has skied quite a bit ( so is about 3 star ESF level) so not sure if l should book him with Esprit lessons or just local ski school. We also now have another family with similar aged kids coming with us - so have two 9 yr olds and two 12 yr olds..
To complicate the matters the 12 yr olds are now saying they want to give snowboarding a try … @under a new name, as you seem to know Champoluc well , do you think it is a good place to learn snowboarding or should l convince them to keep skiing for now ( l understand there isn’t much beginner slopes so guess it would not be ideal place to switch to snowboarding) ?
ski holidays
Ours are very similar ages. Worth talking to esprit on the phone as we have found they have advanced children’s lessons available but not always shown online.
ski holidays
@under a new name,
Our Gressoney trip was 15th Jan 2002 for a week. Only 3 runs were open, and it was not possible to ski back down into Gressoney. This was the worst week I've had snow wise anywhere.

Our first Champoluc was 19th Jan 2006 for a week. Most - perhaps all - of the Champoluc valley was open, but the lift up to the BettaForca was closed, so it wasn't possible to get over into the Gressoney valley. There was a big dump midweek though, so we did have knee deep powder for a couple of days. We were able to ski back down to Champoluc every day though (usually chased down by the rozzers).

The second Champoluc was 19th March 2006 for a week. On this trip the whole of Champoluc, Gressoney and Alagna were linked and accessible, although it did get quite warm so the lower parts of Alagna were a bit porridgy.

We also went to Sestriere 21st Jan 2007 for a week. The area was very brown when we arrived, but foul weather swept in overnight on our first night so the trip worked out just fine. However, if we'd been there a week earlier things would have been different.

I really enjoyed Champoluc and would go back in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose - but I would be reluctant to book in advance for any dates prior to late Jan now. Before and immediatley after XMAS we now always go high in France - Tignes, Val T, La Plagne. Snow cannons may well have improved, but there ain't no beating the natural stuff IMHO.
latest report
@Judwin, ah, yeah, I have to say, poo-poo happens! Trying to think what we were up to in 2002 but ... too long ago Shocked

I am going to surmise that your closed Bettaforca would be because of high winds scouring/drifting fallen snow. That's why there are now cannons all the way up now. I can't recall when they went in, but I think it was later than that. (Cannons can make "concrete" that isn't going to drift away).

And yep, home run into Alagna is low and south facing so you can expect porridge in March (if there's even been enough snow for it to be open).

Totally take your point, but we've had fab conditions in December and early January and leaving your choices to late Jan and after does rather limit your season (vacances scolaires eating into the following few weeks!).

@Bella2015, afaik, lessons will be with the Italian ski school anyway (I don't think Esprit are organised enough to have replicated Ski2's anglophone instructor under the aegis of the Italians setup).

Snowboarding? I don't really know much about that snowHead Laughing not entirely sure how easy it is to rent snowboards these days ... Puzzled Puzzled e.g. I know at least one shop in Chamonix (admittedly oriented towards free ride) who don't carry any as they just don't see the demand ...
snow conditions
Historically Esprit always had arrangements with local ski school in each resort they operated in. However lessons were exclusive to Esprit guests and the limits on numbers set by Esprit not that ski schools normal policy

E.g it was ESF instructors when we went to both Belle Plagne and Courcheval but the class sizes were max for the group level (can't recall now.... and in fact for Courcheval Ellie's class was just the 3 of them and still had the snow ranger to support)
latest report
Inghams also do Hotel de champoluc, but at the moment snow is looking low, we're going on 15th January. So fingers crossed .. for xmas we'd go to
Solden or obergurgle for snow sure..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy