Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Picnic Lunches

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The resorts with a "salle hors sac" are worth supporting. I'm happy to picnic in a sunny April day but not great sitting in the snow in January.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Fmpc, Might be stating the obvious, but don't forget to check out the locations of picnic rooms ("salles hors sac" in France) - they're not always immediately obvious, but are a godsend... indoors - heating; drinking water; toilets etc

<Edit> @Pam_W beat me to it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
6 of you?
Simple task for everyone to come up with 1 option each.
We normally just go to the nearest bakery before getting on the gondola. Pastries, Pasties, Filled Rolls, crisps, granola/breakfast bar, choco bar, etc.
We only stop for a meal if we want a break from the conditions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@geoffers, there's even one in SC, the old Bachas restaurant above Monetier, which has a bar (although it isn't always open). There are also 2 or 3 outside picnic areas with barbecues.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There was no "salle hors sac" in Saisies - I did stick that on my feedback form, once or twice, but to no avail. There was one down in Praz sur Arly. With a family, and on a tight budget, lunch in a restaurant on the slopes is unaffordable - one of the arguments for catered chalets in the olden days. Eat a good breakfast, fill up on endless cups of tea and baguette after skiing, and take some mini choc bars in the pocket in the meantime. Now it's just me, I really enjoy a good lunch, but that was then!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They’ve built new ones in Morzine and Avoriaz- perhaps we shall use them this winter Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fmpc wrote:
We'll definitely be looking at leaving stuff in the car any day that this suits, so those could become flask (warm food) days.

We're actually based halfway between Soldeu and El Tartar, so going back to the apartment at lunchtime is a bit of a pain, as in having to take ski boots off/on and load us all in/out of the car

I'm thinking that the carpark behind the Nordic in El Tartar and the new paved area near the bottom of the lifts in Soldeu (so only a few minutes to/from the carpark) would be good places for a picnic and at least give us a few days we can avoid carting food around and I've seen that there's two indoor picnic areas near the top of both gondolas, so quite handy. Gather there's also another one up by Grau Roig.

I like the idea of most of the packaging being light/disposable, so that we can bin it the remains once we've finished lunch

Can guarantee that Nutella would go down well with all of ours too and must add remember to add pitta to the bread selection

Picnicking in Grandvalira doesn’t feel like missing out either because the standard food on the mountain isn’t great (I live there so have experienced enough of it)! However, it can be nice to get out of the cold if the weather is a bit pants!

One thing you can do when you buy your lift passes is to buy lunch vouchers. In some weird quirk a friend has been looking at lift pass prices for his mates visiting and he seems to think an all in package of lift pass, ski/boot hire and lunch vouchers isn’t costing any more than just the lift pass. I’ve not checked myself to see if he’s right - but it’s worth checking this out.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy