Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I need to buy new boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good evening, as you can see this is my first post and was hoping some of you could help me out please.

My ski boots are 15 years old and I haven’t skied for 11 years since the birth of my daughter. I’ve finally talked her round to giving it a go so wanted some advice as to whether it would be time to change the old boots out. I know technology doesn’t stand still and all things evolve but I’m unsure to what extent.

Any advice would be warmly accepted.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello there and welcome.

FWIW. My view is this:

- The brittleness of the plastic on your boots will depend on where they were stored ie. how much light and extremes of heat and cold they have been exposed to.
- The state of the toe and heel pieces will depend on how many weeks they have done and how much wear they got from walking.
- They are at an age where you might get a year or two from them, if in good condition.
- If you had custom footbeds made - your feet may have changed over the 15 years.

So....If you intend to go back to skiing each year, I personally would bite the bullet and get a new pair (with footbeds) from a good Bootfitter......ask on here for suggestions by giving your location.

If this is an experimental trip, to see how it works out, I would either use your old boots (if in good condition) or hire in resort. If it becomes clear - while in resort - that it is going to be a permanent thing, then you can get fitted there (which allows adjustments to be made after trying them out). Again, ask for a recommendation once you know where you are going.

Boots are a fairly big investment (albeit spread over 15-17 years at 1 week/year), so it is worth knowing they will be used in the coming years.

Bootfitting is a Dark Art and experienced fitters (rather than box shifters) are few and far between.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks OF. Yes I do have footbeds and the boots as a whole are in good nick, it was more as to whether the technology in the boots had changed that much and if I’d feel the benefit of having a new pair.

I agree they are a big outlay and yes it probably is worth waiting to see if my daughter enjoys it but I’m praying once she gets through the first few days of ski school she’ll get the bug.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hoolio, there's a chance the plastic will have degraded. otherwise, if they were ok 15 years ago, they're probably not optimal, but ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hoolio wrote:
Thanks OF. Yes I do have footbeds and the boots as a whole are in good nick, it was more as to whether the technology in the boots had changed that much and if I’d feel the benefit of having a new pair.

I agree they are a big outlay and yes it probably is worth waiting to see if my daughter enjoys it but I’m praying once she gets through the first few days of ski school she’ll get the bug.

I personally would not change boots purely for the latest technology - but when the liners have packed out, the plastic has become brittle or the toe and heel pieces are worn to the point where it's not a secure fit in the bindings.

Current boots have "Gripwalk", which is a good thing, but imv not worth changing for.....though while GW bindings can usually take old style boots, it doesn't really work the other way around (not an issue if you hire skis - which should have GW bindings). Also plastics have improved and boots are generally getting lighter.....but nothing that in itself will transform your skiing. Lessons and practice do that.

I would put your feet in your boots and see if they are still comfortable with the custom footbeds.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 1-02-23 22:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just changed my boots today! 24 yrs skiing several times for 20 years, the boots were really showing wear and tear, ie clipping into binding was sometimes difficult, closing them was difficult, and we'll they needed replacing, each time in resort I'd say, next trip , so I'm sure your boots are good, unless you skiied full seasons with them! On the difference with my new boots, very little, they are much lighter, and a stronger flex, but that's all, so technology in my view hasn't changed much!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all for your replies, really appreciate it
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Hoolio, try your old boots at a fridge or dry slope if you can, I don't think there have been any step changes in boot technology in the past 15 yrs. Maybe good to see if you are likely to be regularly skiing again before investing in new boots.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy