Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SnowINN & Atomic Redster SX+

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Been skiing 25 years and always rented until about 5 years ago when I purchased some Atomic Vantage 90’s. I love them but tried some mid-range carving skis last winter and had a great time. Looking at buying some and wonder what people think of these…?

https://www.tradeinn.com/snowinn/en/atomic-redster-sx--m-10-gw-alpine-skis/138799840/p

I can’t find these reviewed or for sale anywhere else, not even on Atomics website, imagine they are a few years old. They seem a bit too good to be true. Also I’ve used the tradeinn brand to buy some electrical stuff before but not snow equipment… so any thoughts/feedback on either would be much appreciated!

Thanks
James!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've used snowinn, and they are good value, though it may take time for delivery. What you're looking at is a ski/binding package. The skis: atomic redster sx, the bindings: salomon m10 gw. It's all previous seasons stock that they're reselling. It looks like they're going to mount the bindings. The boots I bought came in an unopened retail box, with all the bits one would expect.

edit: i take it all back. I thought the reference to + M 10 GW must refer to bindings, as I, like you, can't find any reference to the skis on atomic. But I do see "REDSTER Q4 + M 10 GW" on atomic, so I assume the designation is correct.
explanation: Atomic and Salomon are both owned by a Chinese company. Quoting Wiki: "Atomic is a subsidiary of Amer Sports Corporation, since 2019 itself a subsidiary of the Chinese group Anta Sports[3] with sister brands Wilson, Suunto, Sports Tracker, Salomon, Precor, Arc'teryx."
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
joffy69 wrote:
It looks like they're going to mount the bindings.

they are rental bindings

skipass has a review of the ski

https://www.skipass.com/guide-matos/atomic/redster-x5.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both.

They are the Redster XS (S for Sugar), not X5 which is why I’m a little unsure.

Also SnowINN says they are advanced/expert level ski’s, whereas the X5 appear to be beginner/intermediate level...

Saying that, for c.£250 delivered does it really matter?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maybe sx is for xpert?, so probably a bit stiffer.

ekosport also have some deals on ski / binding packages which may be interesting
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The last time I looked both Ekosport and Snowinn had issues with UK imports being charged with VAT and clearance charges, may have changed but I would look very closely at the small print to check. Glisshop semed to have solved this by having a UK base but I've not bought anything from any of them since Brexit so can't be entirely sure.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could try email/chat to ask for more details. I'm not sure I'd trust their features list as it's saying the width is 80-90 but the photo is showing 73mm. Also, the Product description text is saying "The Redster SX is perfect for both newcomers and more advanced skiers who demand performance and a moderate flex from their ski." which sounds like beginner/intermediate skis to me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timc wrote:
The last time I looked both Ekosport and Snowinn had issues with UK imports being charged with VAT and clearance charges, may have changed but I would look very closely at the small print to check. Glisshop semed to have solved this by having a UK base but I've not bought anything from any of them since Brexit so can't be entirely sure.

A friend has just bought snow gears from them 2 weeks ago and it all arrived in good time without problems.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @luanb, have dropped them a message as it’s really not clear but not holding out much hope that they’ll come back with a detailed explanation of product, year, etc. wink

OK now I found these on Ekosport (thanks @davidof), but have the same issues - can’t find them anywhere else on the internets… Anyone know if they’re any good?

https://www.ekosport.co.uk/head-wc-rebels-i.shape-pro-lyt-pr-pr10-gw-22-p-9-103829.html

I’ve bought from tradeINN brands in the last year and importing doesn’t appear to be an issue. Ekosport also specifically state they pay for any customs/duties fees (although imagine its wrapped up in the delivery cost).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have brought from SnowINN admittedly before Brexit became final. Item took a while to arrive then I realised I had ordered wrong size. Had to arrange return to Spain which because of length of parcel was a real pain and struggled to get a refund promptly.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gnave wrote:
Thanks @luanb, have dropped them a message as it’s really not clear but not holding out much hope that they’ll come back with a detailed explanation of product, year, etc. wink

OK now I found these on Ekosport (thanks @davidof), but have the same issues - can’t find them anywhere else on the internets… Anyone know if they’re any good?

https://www.ekosport.co.uk/head-wc-rebels-i.shape-pro-lyt-pr-pr10-gw-22-p-9-103829.html

I’ve bought from tradeINN brands in the last year and importing doesn’t appear to be an issue. Ekosport also specifically state they pay for any customs/duties fees (although imagine its wrapped up in the delivery cost).

Going by specs alone and reviews of the Head WC Rebels brand that I could find, I'd go with the Head WC Rebels. It's quite narrow though so will need a bit more technique. My skis are similar, 92mm all mountain and 72mm front side. They're very different.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timc wrote:

Just bought skis from Glisshop and a bunch of other stuff from Ekosport, both sailed through customs and didn't seem to have had the documentation even checked.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gnave wrote:
Hi all,
Been skiing 25 years and always rented until about 5 years ago when I purchased some Atomic Vantage 90’s. I love them but tried some mid-range carving skis last winter and had a great time. Looking at buying some and wonder what people think of these…?

#1 - is their cost benefit in you buying. How many weeks a year do you ski, do you need a particular type of ski, cost of service, transportation?

#2 I am a bit confused - you say you love the Vantage 90's but then you tried renting something else. Why?

#3 What was the mid-range carving skis you tried? Were they better than the Vantage 90's? If so, why?

All seems a bit random....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @luanb, if they challenge my technique that can only be a good thing! wink

To respond to @Layne,

1. I take between 1 and 3 trips a year, sometimes long weekends instead of full weeks. When I go for a week I tend to squeeze in 7/8 days. I tend to fly with status so baggage is included.

2. Vantage 90’s are all mountain skis; I hadn’t ski’d on carving/race skis since getting them and wanted to remind myself of the difference.

3. I tried some rossignol reacts (6?) from memory, they weren’t necessarily better just different. The vantage 90’s are great for powder, long carving turns and more leisurely skiing, but difficult for aggressive/tight turns. The difference is night and day.

Just looking for a good deal that would work out cheaper than renting over the course of 2-3 trips/yrs (Resort rental is c.£100 a week for average skis so they pay for themselves).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@gnave, So are you going to be taking both the Vantage and carvers with you on your travels?

I guess I am not helping with your questions about what skis to buy. In general, skis work best on a try before you buy basis. Hence if you liked the Rossignol Reacts then either buy them or something that is described/made similarly.

That said just bought a pair for the wife based mostly on the online description and reviews.
latest report
SX model with densolite core looks and sounds exactly like a rental model and thus not worth the money and pointless to buy if it’s no better than standard resort rental quality. You’d be better off looking for a deal on redster s7 or similar.
ski holidays
@Layne, Would probably check conditions before I leave but could take both if appropriate. Thanks, you’re probably right, that’s what I did with the Vantage 90’s; was probably getting carried away on what I thought might be a ‘deal’.

Thanks @stephap, makes sense. Will check out the S7s and maybe try them on my 1st trip of the season.

Thanks all!
snow report
If you can't find a ski on the main brands website or a review for it somewhere on t'internet I think it's likely an SMU - specially made for a shop chain or as a rental product. These are normally cheaper but only because they're made cheaply, often using manmade core materials instead of wood and missing various metal/dampening layers in the ski. The topsheet may look similar to the full retail version but they might not be the same inside.
I'd be wary of picking up a model you can't find review on.
Buy cheap = Buy twice.
Have you not got a local independent UK shop? Much easier to deal with, they'll sell you the right product and if you give them a budget im sure they'll try to stick to it also much easier to deal with if you get any warranty issues / set up issues etc ..... and your supporting a UK bricks and mortar business not a European stack it high sell it cheap warehouse
latest report
@gnave, if you've not looked already, try Ski Bartlett - they are UK based and I've had some really good value hardware from them before, "proper" items that you can find reviews for easily although a couple of seasons old but no qualms with that.
latest report
As far as I can work out the Atomic naming system for retail was S-Slalom, G -GS, or X-inbetween. Then the number 5,7 or 9 indicates stiffness. Normal high end rental or retail skis in Austria where these are very common are S9 or G9 which are punter "race style" skis . Full on race reps are "FIS". The X also has a wider version, usually X9WB, for some reason this was the most common one in UK shops. I think they are alergic to narrow skis! So SX should be short turn but not one of the main Atomic range and probably a cheap version made for low end rental or superstore special deals.
snow conditions
Used snowinn this week, skis were much cheaper than anywhere else arrived 2 days later than estimated on a Sunday after 9 days. Delivery seemed a bit haphazard as I was notified it was coming on day estimated & then it turned up 2 days later with no notification & had just been left outside! Bindings were all set up to my boots & din so can’t really complain was as described.
snow report
@Rh2205, which delivery company was that?
snow report
Just referred to a company called GLS when they left Spain, I don’t know who actually delivered them I never actually heard from the delivery company directly just Trade/snowinn via email telling me about delivery by GLS.
ski holidays
Might be worth letting Snowinn know.
snow conditions
Google tells me GLS is part of the Royal Mail Group

"..The company was known as German Parcel when it was founded in 1989, by Rico Back. It was subsequently rebranded as GLS and is now a subsidiary of International Distribution Services PLC (formerly Royal Mail until 3 October 2022..."
snow report
I just bought a pair of Atomic Redster SX on sale from a Norwegian rebeller (XXL).
My situation is similar to yours James, the last couple of years I've been a grandchild ski instructor.
This year it's time for the "next" step -- she now handles the both the button- ad T-bar lifts all by herself and does parallel ski turns so I can switch up my easyrunning (but in my opinion dull) Rossignol Proptip semirocker skis to something a bit more fun i.e. more grip and more speed.
The SX model specs -- 72 cm waist, full camber 0/100/0 with twin titanum stiffeners -- is mostly resembling the redster "official" TX model from 19/20 (possibly 20/21).
So it should be an "unforgiving " know what your doing intermediate/advanced ski for piste skiing.
I haven't tried them yet but I'm hopeful they will be more fun.
I guess the "race-inspired" description relates to the ski being full camber, no rocker tip or tail.
Hope you find skis you're comfortable with Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy