Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Pass Pocket

Poster: A snowHead
I am considering splashing out on a new ski jacket as my old insulated jacket has seen better days after 10 seasons use

My current jacket has a sleeve lift pass pocket which makes it easy to just wave at the reader on lifts to gain access

However, I am considering purchasing a shell jacket with exterior chest waterproof zipped pockets so that it can also be used as part of a "layering" system for other activities ie hill-walking etc

My question is how easy would it be to gain access to ski lifts with the lift pass in a chest pocket as opposed to on the sleeve ie will the pass easily be read when it is in a higher level pocket?

Any thoughts appreciated
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never had a Sleeve Pocket and haven't had a problem - so Pass either in a coat pocket, or in a fleece pocket. It's probably less convenient than a dedicated Pass Pocket, as sometimes you may have to brush against the reader.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sleeve, well cuff really, pocket in my ski jacket that I keep my pass in but you can equally use a chest pocket
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nahdendee, I’ve had one that had a chest pocket but not a sleeve pocket. Total pain in the ass and annoying.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some ski gloves have zip pockets on their back (Google them) which are very useful for passes if you don't have a sleeve pocket
Pros - you don't forget your pass if you use a different jacket the next day (don't ask.... rolling eyes )
Cons - maybe need to be careful leaving gloves near fire etc in restaurant

P.S I often use the breast pocket in my fleece under the jacket, but the same applies if you use a different fleece the next day (don't ask.... rolling eyes )
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My jacket doesn't have a sleeve pocket, and a chest pocket usually works. Most readers seem to be on the left-hand side, although this may vary by resort. Don't keep your phone in the same pocket - it will interfere.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@nahdendee, I’ve had one that had a chest pocket but not a sleeve pocket. Total pain in the ass and annoying.
I can see it would be very annoying for tall people. Not a problem for me. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have two jackets. The one with the wrist pocket is more convenient for passes, the other I use the left hand breast pocket and sometimes have to dip and turn at the scanner. I also use that pocket for other things, which makes me nervous of losing the pass.
So I use a stretch wrist wallet, like runners use, which holds the pass, cards and cash on my left wrist/forearm. Less than £10 on-line.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I ski in a variety of jackets depending on my role for the day and the weather, with lift pass in left chest pocket, upper arm pocket, wrist pocket or left trouser pocket. All of these work well enough, provided you remember where it is. The wrist option is the easiest, trouser pocket most awkward, and not so good for shorter people.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Keeping passes next to credit cards can cause problems - I'd separate them. I've done the "dip and turn" at the scanner, like @Dr.Snow, and some scanners are on the right. But I'm not tall! I do think the scanners have become much smarter - the contortions needed are not as marked as in yester year.....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
just get an ID badge holder thing like bouncers wear
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
loads of jackets come with shoulder pockets. buy one of them. or just keep your pass in your left hip pocket.

really strange questions these days... Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My left hip pocket is too low for most scanners, so that doesn’t work.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name,
Quote:

just keep your pass in your left hip pocket

Now that really would pose me a problem. Leaning over at the lift gate is one thing, having to jump up and down is quite another! Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hurtle, I am presuming ... but I am a shorterse too Laughing
snow report
Just get a shell with a lift pass pocket in the sleeve - there are plenty - Sportspursuit have lots. No other place for a lift pass ticket makes as much sense ....
latest report
Dr.Snow wrote:
My left hip pocket is too low for most scanners, so that doesn’t work.

Just get taller .....simples wink

Or left chest pocket and do the Agadoo twist.
latest report
Had an intermittent problem last year solved when I realised that I had last year's pass in the same pocket!!
snow report
Buy the jacket you want and use one of these. Smile

Scucs Wrist Wallet Zipper Wristband, Sweat Band Sports Storage Bag, Sport Wrist Pocket Pouch, Running Gym Bag Wallet, Wrist Wallet Pouch Cell Phone Holder Sweatband for Cycling Mobile Phone Cards https://amzn.eu/d/fw7ssiZ
snow report
The easy hack is just to wear some doubled tubigrip on your forearm over the base layer and tuck the pass in there.
snow conditions
I've almost always used a regular waterproof shell (Berghaus, Rab, etc) with a fleece underneath. No sleeve pocket.

What I did was put the pass in the fleece left pocket. (Not the shell pocket, because I use that occasionally to stuff things in like a buff when we stop for a coffee and didn't want to lose the pass when I took it out again). Never any real problem, just occasionally need to swivel my body to face the sensor if it doesn't trigger immediately.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy