Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zip off bibs for salopettes

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a new pair of salopettes for this winter, and have seen a couple that convert between bibs and normal trousers using a zip-off upper bib bit.

The two I'm aware of are:

- The Norrona Lofoten which looks great, and can be bought with an optional bib add on, but is out of my price range
- The Virtika Signature pant, which are more in my budget, but can't find a single review of them online, or anyone who has them, and have read all sorts of dodgy things about their founder online so not sure I want to support the company in any case

Any suggestions of other models of bibs which convert to trousers with a simple zip?
I love wearing bibs when it's cold or I'm in deep powder, normal trousers when it's a little warmer, and then bibs again in late season skiing when it's warm enough not to even need a jacket.

Advice much appreciated as Googling around this topic hasn't managed to turn up much other than the two options listed above.

Thanks! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’m not confident about the strength of the zip. Especially against the unstoppable force of the post-lunch spread.

Get a ( loose fitting) bib formerly known as a salopette, for winter. Some lightweight trousers for warm weather skiing.

Then manage body heat through your jacket.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@fgh, welcome to snowHeads.

A couple of other options for you to look at, both from Swedish sites but you can probably find them elsewhere also.

Tierra Roc Blanc

Scott Vertic

I've not seen/used either, so can't comment on how practical they actually are. The Norrøna bibs are great, but very spendy unless you buy them off-season.

@AL9000, we don't all suffer from post-prandial dimensional challenges so a zip is plenty strong enough. wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mgrolf, well, you must find better places to eat. Little Angel
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peak Performance, and Spyder both do Zip-off bibs on their top of the line trousers - not sure about Mammut, Salomon and Columbia this year but historically their top of the line model has also been zip-off.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I didn't realise anyone wore such things any more Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the suggestions! Very Happy Good shout on the trusting zips, especially after a few too many raclettes at lunch, but I reckon I'll just about be fine.

Do these zip off bibs tend to be insulated themselves or just a lightweight mesh/stretchy material?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:

They may not be fashionable, but they're still the optimal solution for some people. My guess is that in ten years' time, we'll come full circle and bibs will be popular again. Until then, the choice will be limited compared to a few years ago.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@fgh,

Quote:

Do these zip off bibs tend to be insulated themselves or just a lightweight mesh/stretchy material?

All the ones I've seen have been uninsulated.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
I’m not confident about the strength of the zip. Especially against the unstoppable force of the post-lunch spread.
hopefully should be ok ... My Motorbike leathers zip together with the intention of keeping the jacket & trousers together to prevent road-rash in a fall Confused
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:

Thought they was popular with snowboarders so they dont get snow down their jacksie
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any ideas of what terms to search for in order to find these things? I've tried every combination of "zip in salopettes, bibs, zip off, ski pants" etc that I can think of.

Looked at the top of line peak performance, spyder, mammut, salomon, and columbia bibs but wasn't clear if they're convertible or not from the websites.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bit of an odd requirement. Why do you want a detachable bib? Bracers not up to the job?
I have a bib & dont always do the bib up. Just use a belt. It usually stays within the snow skirt of my jacket & not fall out
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@fgh, you probably need to read through all the details rather than trying to be clever with search terms.

Here's a pair from Mammut with a removable bib mentioned in the features.
https://www.mammut.com/eu/en/products/1020-12580-0047/haldigrat-hs-pants-men
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Got the Norrona Lofoten zip off bib and I zipped it off and I’ve never zipped it on again…
For truly parky spells I’ve got the Tamok bib which is always warm enough but sometimes too warm and sometimes rubs your nips.
Powder skirt works well with Lofotens if you top to bottom in Norrona Eh oh!
snow conditions
@fgh, If you're trying to keep the cost down, maybe check out the Untrakt Obsidian 3L bibs on SportPursuit. I've had a pair for 4 years and worn them resort skiing and for multi-day touring. Very comfortable, properly waterproof in some horrible weather in La Tania and have lasted well. Pockets are great, although the beacon pocket in the bib section could be a fraction bigger for choice. (They have stood up better than a mate's Lofoten pants. Sample of 1, so make of that what you will.)
ski holidays
Candide’s new clothing line (imaginatively named ‘Candide’ Laughing) has exactly what you’re looking for.

Personally I like the idea/functionality of bibs (ie the big front pockets) but they’re just too warm for me 95% of the time.

I also have the Norrona Tamok jacket and pants (not bibs) which can actually be zipped together to work like a onepiece, but it only bothered once - a normal powder skirt works just fine for me with no issues of snow getting in.
snow report
Planks do a range of bib pants. Used by TDC instructors so they’re decent quality.

https://www.planksclothing.com/collections/mens-ski-pants
latest report
@gored - I sometimes like skiing in bibs, and sometimes in just regular snow trousers, depending on conditions/what else I'm wearing/what I'm doing etc. so was thinking I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone rather than have to buy a pair of bibs and a pair of trousers.
snow report
Quote:

Candide’s new clothing line (imaginatively named ‘Candide’ ) has exactly what you’re looking for.

Looks good - do you have a pair? I can't seem to find any information/review videos about them on the internet other than the website selling them.

Are they insulated?
Do they seem high quality?
Decent construction?
Vent zips?

Thanks for the suggestion!
ski holidays
fgh wrote:
Quote:

Candide’s new clothing line (imaginatively named ‘Candide’ ) has exactly what you’re looking for.

Looks good - do you have a pair? I can't seem to find any information/review videos about them on the internet other than the website selling them.

Are they insulated?
Do they seem high quality?
Decent construction?
Vent zips?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Nope, sorry, though I did have a quick feel of them in a shop the other day. As far as I know they are new this season, or were released part way through last season, so not many reviews about.

I also recall hearing somewhere that one of the founders of Faction Skis and their spin-off FW (Future Wild?) apparel were involved with the project, so I assume Candide came up with the style/design and they outsourced production to whichever factories FW/Faction work with.

Quality certainly seemed comparable to that ‘mid market’ point like Planks etc, but not up there with Norrona, Arcteryx etc (which is totally fine and expected as they cost twice the price). I believe they have insulated and uninsulated pieces.

I would imagine as they’re so new and need to build a reputation (and not damage Candide’s!) they’ll stand behind their products if you have issues, but that’s just conjecture.
ski holidays
The lofoten bib zip is particularly flimsy, IMHO
latest report
it seems like a good idea ... I roll up (actually down) the top of the bib down to my waist ...
I'd be interested in checkin" this out ... it seems like a nice idea for me ... thanks OP !
latest report
snowbunny21 wrote:
it seems like a good idea ... I roll up (actually down) the top of the bib down to my waist ...
!

Puzzled Puzzled

How does that work?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy