Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Changing bindings

Poster: A snowHead
A noob question - I picked up new skis but managed to select the wrong bindings in that they are Tyrolia Attack GW 11 and I meant to take 13s (it was a set, clicked wrong box without my glasses rolling eyes ). I can’t return as the bindings are fitted but as I am 6 foot 83kg, I think I need to have 13s.

I assume that it is possible to buy new bindings and have them fitted but the holes will be in different places? I also need to figure this out quickly as we are planning to Xmas ski… so any help to remedy my ignorance and lack of checking the final order would be gratefully received!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"With a DIN range of 3 to 11 these bindings are perfect for beginners, recreational skiers, and lightweight advanced skiers". So says the Website. A quick check on a DIN Calculator says that even if you're in the smash everything category, your DIN doesn't need to be above 9, so I wouldn't worry about it. My 110Kg Rugby playing sons might need to go up a notch, but better to run with it than drill more holes. The likes of Spyderjohn will be along shortly to comment I'm sure.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wot @RedandWhiteFlachau says. You'll be fine. You also want to avoid double drilling if at all possible.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you @redandwhiteflachau and @Dr John, my other bindings are Griffon 13s which are great and I read the same description of "lightweight advanced skiers", hence the minor panic.

So does 83kg still put me in the lightweight category? Very Happy

I appreciate the quick responses!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tradstyle wrote:

So does 83kg still put me in the lightweight category? Very Happy

Not necessarily - but most bindings go much higher in the DIN range than the vast majority of skiers will ever need. If you were throwing yourself off cliffs or charging down a race course, that's a different matter - but then you wouldn't be asking, so I'm guessing you're not Smile. You'll be fine with the bindings.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Tradstyle, use a DIN calculator to work out your recommended settings. Plenty of then available online like this one...
https://www.dincalculator.com/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm far from a beginner, a lot heavier than 83kg and I've never wound my bindings up as high as 13.

What are your Griffons actually set to ?

The size of you feet has a big effect on DIN setting.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't forget you'll need to set the toe height and forward pressure in addition to the DIN.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm 2 inches taller and 20kg heavier have used 8 on 10 bindings and never had an issue. Never releases when it shouldn't and always does when it should. I was talking to Stuart Robertson about bindings on some old skis I was using the other day and he seemed to think the springs do lose strength gradually and that I should probably be going 1 higher than usual with them. You might find these new 11's are actually quite close to what your old 13's are depending on how old they are.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Unless you are racing, seriously hucking or skiing fall and die terrain there is little need for adults to be on >11 DIN. If you were in any danger of prereleasing at such a level I'd suspect your technique would be the problem over the DIN.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all, really appreciate the feedback and advice.

Indeed, I am not going off cliffs, GS or other kind of racing, although I do enjoy skiing fast and occasional trees. Apart from the Din setting, it seems that there is more plastic in the Attack 11 than the 13, especially in the base. On the upside, it makes it lighter but I may have succumbed to the internet research fallacy of reading some reviews which suggested that it is not an ideal binding for people of my height/weight. Note that the Tyrolia specs say nothing of the sort.

In any event, they are mounted on some Mindbenders so it will be down to me to make the most of it. Just need more snow as do we all!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I once read (probably on the internet which is never wrong right lol) that ideally you want to have a DIN in the middle of the range for binding. Hence I guess if you are set at 8/9 you might want something that goes up to 13. But I am 100 kgs and for a punter skier very experienced but are set at 7. So as with others don't think you will have an issue.

As you rightly point out they may be slightly cheaper made and hence a little less robust/durable. Which can be an issue. I have had binding problems in the past.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will see how they fair, am hoping to ski about 3 weeks this season which is nothing in the life of a binding. Will set them at 7 to start with.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm 185cm & 90kg, ski quite hard offpiste and moguls with my bindings at 7, your GW11s will be no problem
snow report
Layne wrote:
I once read (probably on the internet which is never wrong right lol) that ideally you want to have a DIN in the middle of the range for binding.
...they may be... little less robust/durable. Which can be an issue.

@Layne, An old wives tale (that might have been true once upon a time).

The whole point of DIN is they're certified to have accurate/consistent release right across the stated range. The reason the 13's will be stronger than 11's is they have to potentially deal with bigger forces at the top of the range.
snow report
adithorp wrote:
Layne wrote:
I once read (probably on the internet which is never wrong right lol) that ideally you want to have a DIN in the middle of the range for binding.

@Layne, An old wives tale (that might have been true once upon a time).

The whole point of DIN is they're certified to have accurate/consistent release right across the stated range.

In Switzerland you can get them tested for free, courtesy of the largest accident insurer, so if they've aged or been damaged such that they're no longer within the acceptable range you'll know about is and either be able to readjust the setting accordingly or replace the binding.

I confess I don't do this every season, but am lead to believe that it's very rare for this to happen, i.e under normal use, for an normal expected lifespan, the DIN setting as stated will normally be recertified, and a sticker applied to prove it, each year.

So yes, there's no logic in going for a binding that's a lot higher than you'll ever use, although it's quite common for high-end skis to be over-equipped like this. My latest race skis came with a 14 DIN binding, for example, but I've never set them higher that 9 on any ski I've ever owned.
latest report
Thanks to the OP ... luve the catchy "hook" of a title ...
I was searching for some talk about bindings ... can never get enough posts about the quirks and tech of bindings ...

DIN of course always in the discussion, but,
I'll chime in askin' about preferences from the experts in the forums re: brake width ...
(How wide will you go ? does it mean anything being out a little over edges ? Thanx.)

Personally, easy for me matching to the best brake width for my awaited Christmas present
no problem with a 90 Dynafit on a 93 ski
and glad Dynafit has a 90 - 105 - 120? in this binding.

So, anybuddy got any binding comments ... Great topic OP !
snow report
Redrilling is not great but can definitely be done. I agree with others that your bindings are probably fine. I would wait until they start popping off to worry about it.
snow report
Tradstyle wrote:
A noob question - I picked up new skis but managed to select the wrong bindings in that they are Tyrolia Attack GW 11 and I meant to take 13s (it was a set, clicked wrong box without my glasses rolling eyes ). I can’t return as the bindings are fitted but as I am 6 foot 83kg, I think I need to have 13s.

I assume that it is possible to buy new bindings and have them fitted but the holes will be in different places? I also need to figure this out quickly as we are planning to Xmas ski… so any help to remedy my ignorance and lack of checking the final order would be gratefully received!

Stay with the bindings you have. You will never need the extra 2 din.

I am only 2 in Shorter and 5 kg lighter and as a Ski Patroler (dragging around 200kg+) I ski on din 8 and don't have an issue with skis falling off.

99 out of 100 broken ACL's in skiing in Chamonix are from DIN settings TOO high! - Survey I did with the help of 4 local physio's after breaking by ACL falling off my bike!
snow report
skithesteelstealtheski wrote:
Redrilling is not great but can definitely be done. I agree with others that your bindings are probably fine. I would wait until they start popping off to worry about it.

correct me if I'm wrong ... but aren't the drill templates the same for Tyrolia ... or am I (probably) missing something ?
Thanx to any of ya'all experts in the forums for comment / critique

Tyrolia template (link seems to work ok, maybe not for all pc platforms/iphones tho)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0SnAf18fUXAZ2ZqZ2xibVhBYWc/edit?resourcekey=0--pyXNjZACwUSdBzoR0pFFg

Source : https://www.bindingfreedom.com/paper-tempaltes/
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Unless you are racing, seriously hucking or skiing fall and die terrain there is little need for adults to be on >11 DIN. If you were in any danger of prereleasing at such a level I'd suspect your technique would be the problem over the DIN.

great point ...
I'll chime in that DIN is about all that most people seem to talk about ...
strength/total weight ratio of the attached binding (without brake) might be a deciding factor for me when comparing bindingss,
all <11 DIN
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy