Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early season snow panic (Italy)

Poster: A snowHead
We’ve booked a sauze d’oulx short break for 16 Dec but I’m now panicking about lack of snow! Forecast not looking too good.
We’re flying to Turin - Should we consider changing accommodation to another village - courmayeur, cervinia ?

Or tell me sauze d’oulx will be fine!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Italy (generally) has excellent snow making capacity.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why book an opening week and worry about the snow? It might be fine, or it might be patchy. Highly likely you will be able to enjoy some good skiing, even if the open slopes are limited. And there is plenty of time too for more snow between now mid Dec. So don't worry would be my view.

p.s. I'm going to Meribel on the 10th Dec and I've not checked any snow reports yet.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sauze is a gamble at the best of times. It's known for being dry most of the season with huge dumps coming in every once in a while. Its been the case many occasions folks have had to be bussed to another station for snow
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pandab, Can't see Courmayeur being much of an improvement - that said it's opening 2.12.22 ... looks pretty well cannoned up ... Cervina has the glacier ...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pandab, Early season / opening weeks can be very worrying in the runup, but as long as there is enough snow to open at all, usually great fun. If limited slopes are open it is more than balanced by the lack of people - I would much rather ski a resort with only 50% of slopes open, compared to 85% open at New Year with ten times the number of skiers! There are several weeks yet, and as it is a fairly late opening date they will do everything possible to open on time, especially as it is so close to the busy Christmas/New Year weeks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is too early to tell what conditions in Sauze will be like then so I’d wait longer before deciding but nearby Montgenevre (also part of the Milky Way) should be ok as it normally opens in early December and it is only a tiny bit further from Turin. You could also look at claviere.
Courmayeur is a beautiful resort but you have to take the cable car across to the ski area and I tend to prefer ski to the door accommodation. Courmayeur is also on the small side and not linked to a larger area but you can book day trips to neighbouring resorts. I’m not sure what it’s early season snow record is like.
I haven’t been to cervinia but from what I’ve heard it is probably more snow sure than Sauze but will lack the pretty tree lined runs of the Milky Way.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They've got the size cannons running, and they had plenty of practice last year at managing limited amounts of snow.
You should be fine.
Enjoy the scenery and the food and drink.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There probably won't be much open, we went the same week last year and there were 2 lifts running. About half the shops and bars etc were open with the rest stocking up. Still a good vibe in the village and we had a great week but if your hoping for the links to be open and have a big area to go at you might be disappointed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Panda, keep an eye on this channel. If there's significant change, he'll post it up there..

http://youtube.com/v/BYHcyLCsM5c
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would go to Cervinia if you are worried... 16 december is before full opening anyway: -
https://www.vialattea.it/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Programma-di-massima-2022-2023.pdf

I think there will be a fair amount of skiing in Cervinia by 16th - this is into town:-

Whereas:

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks. To those who asked why we are worrying when we know it’s early season … GCSEs will get in the way of a half term or Easter trip this year. It’s just a short stay and can currently cancel the Sauze hotel until 8 Dec if we think somewhere else drivable from Turin looks more promising. I’ll keep an eye on those links that have been attached. It’s only a 4 day ski so small area is fine. Other option is Orelle to access VT. I know it’s a gamble which is why I booked cancellable accommodation. The guess work is half the fun!

Courmayeur looks like it has snow!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pandab, if you don't need to cancel until 8 December... then wait until December to make your decision. There will be plenty of accommodation available elsewhere at that time of year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think an early December trip is a good gamble, compared to the guaranteed mayhem of half term. As noted, accommodation will be easy enough to find.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pandab, also look at Champoluc. We went there Feb half term just gone due to eldest sitting GCSEs and rules and restrictions in place for Christmas being unachievable.
latest report
La Thuile could be an option, their published opening date is November 26th (snow permitting). Less than 2 hours drive from Turin.
snow report
Thanks all. Sitting tight for now. But actually love the look of a trip to Courmayeur with a day in La Thuile perhaps.
Champoluc looks great too
snow conditions
I think they are hosting FIS Women’s Alpine Ski World Cup, 10-11 Dec, that slope should be well prepared, but the question are they going to allow public on that slope before and after.
snow conditions
From the webcams it looks like they've started firing up the snow cannons in Sauze and Sestriere at least.
snow conditions
Both times we went to Montgenevre (in February) they were bussing people in from sauze so there will probably be other options of no snow in sauze.
ski holidays
Drove to Turin and back yesterday with lunch and a walk in Claviere.

In normal seasons it would have been the opening weekend for Montgenevre, but they are definitely not ready, and the South side looks very dry, that said they have been running the canons from the looks of things unlike here in Serre Chevalier.

Think that next weekend there should be some skiing there.

Claviere was not looking too good and it was obvious that the upper slopes of Sestriere, Sauze and San Sicario did not see the light coverage that happened here last week, and the runs into resorts were barren, so all in all quite bleak.
snow report
It’s a long off but if the current weather pattern being predicted for the 2nd week of Dec comes off that whole area west of Turin will benefit
latest report
Thanks for the updates. My finger is hovering over a booking in Courmeyeur …
(Not much available in Cervinia) and Sauze is still booked until 8th
latest report
There is some decent snow in the forecast for next week so hopefully this comes to fruition!
snow report
The Sauze webcams don’t look too bad, considering. It’s also predicted to snow over the weekend, just a dusting of around 10cms on the forecast.

https://sauzedoulx.net/information/sauze-doulx-webcams/
latest report
Its been snowing today with more forecast for later in the week, and snow cannons are running. Its likely to be as good as anywhere within a sensible drive of Turin.
latest report
@pandab, We had about 30cms in Champoluc by the time we left this morning (in sunshine, typically). It'll certainly be an option.
latest report
I've been skiing in nearby Montgenèvre since saturday. Conditions are decent/reasonable but not great for the first week of the season. A fresh layer of natural snow came down yesterday evening / this night, on top of the mix of manmade and natural snow that was there, so this morning the slopes were softer than during the weekend. Calm. Wonderful blue skies and sun today. Winter atmosphere in the village and surroundings.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
An update to say we Had a fantastic stay in Courmeyeur in the end with a day in La Thuile too. Easy drive from Turin.
Pre Xmas it’s very easy to find good last minute accommodation where snow looks good once you have the flights and car hire in place
Thanks all.
snow report
pandab wrote:
An update to say we Had a fantastic stay in Courmeyeur in the end with a day in La Thuile too. Easy drive from Turin.
Pre Xmas it’s very easy to find good last minute accommodation where snow looks good once you have the flights and car hire in place
Thanks all.

Hey Panda, did you encounter any issues getting to La Thuile? I believe there was a landslide there around Christmas, on the road down to the valley/Morgex?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy