Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti Superski 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
I see the Dollies have gotten their traditional after-the-lifts-have-closed snowfall
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The last video of the season from Igor, skiing the Hidden Valley on 8th April. I didn't realise there were Alpacas in the Hidden Valley! Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/C1vLpEcuo-8
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair Pink, that looked a bit bleak, don't think I'd have fancied it in that flat light and, until the last section, obviously quite hard underfoot. Rafael doesn't hang about, does he?!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hidden valley in less than 8 minutes? Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My legs ache just watching that. Phew.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
He's a few other videos of that run that are much nicer alright, its put it into my head to try and do it with the kids sometime
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think it was at the top of that cable car that somebody carelessly kicked one of the ski poles belonging to maggi's old man down into the cavern below.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@8611, it's a bit of a lottery. I can attest that a combination of crowds and a lot of rocks poking through on each bend is not much fun. The last part is never any fun for someone who can't skate as proficiently as Rafael. But it's definitely something to do at least once.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Being dreadfully pedantic, that would be more accurately described as the lagazuoi descent leading to the Hidden Valley imv. Proper slush fest in the lower valley. Confused

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 26-04-23 11:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well it would be more for the novelty of being pulled along by horses at the bottom. Also the views are stunning at points. I'm pretty sure I did it years ago when we stayed in a place called San Vito near Cortina, as we did a set piece run I thought was a world war 1 run. I remember tunnels and coming across a frozen waterfall. I assume that can only really be this run? It was super quiet then, late March early April and when I came across the waterfall I had it all to myself.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@8611, I don't think there are any Tunnels of the H/V run itself (There are the ones dug by the Austrians in WW1..!!)

@Alastair Pink, The Alpacas have been there for a number of years (paddocked adjacent to Scotoni's)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah that's what I mean. In my recollection the place was known for war tunnels which you could see at points.

Only way to settle it is to head back again en famille
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

someone who can't skate as proficiently as Rafael

That lad's skating is poetry in motion
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@8611, it's certainly got the horses (I'm allergic to horses, so don't do that bit) and a frozen waterfall (which I managed to ski past last time. Embarassed)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We skied the run in March and as we stopped to take in the frozen waterfall a climber climbing it fell off. Her safety line caught her, but she hit the ice wall with a hell of thump. Her group of climbers tended to her. She looked to be unconscious.
snow report
@Mollerski, ugh, horrible thing to witness. I shall never be able to dispel the childhood memory of a climber who perished on the Eiger, and could be seen with binoculars from Grindelwald. Even though I can also remember that - of course - my father didn't let me look through the binoculars.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, Heck! It was an uncomfortable sight. There was little point in hanging around. Her group were there to deal with the situation. Hopefully she's well again?
snow conditions
https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c14105/

Heavy snow. Hopefully they can start to refill their reservoirs for next year !
latest report
It did make me wonder would, say, that lift up onto the top of the Selva Massif be running even sporadically for tourists so you could go and ski the many couloirs?
snow report
@8611, if you're talking about the Sass Pordoi cable car then I think it's currently closed but according to this site re-opens for the summer operation on 17th May.
ski holidays
Its a nice idea but its not going to happen for me this time alas. Could be some great touring if you were competent though.
ski holidays
Snowing heavily today at Passo Fedaia.....

https://fb.watch/kst5QFe8N5/
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, And Campolongo !!

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/webcam/italia/veneto/belluno/passo-campolongo.html
latest report
There are outrageous numbers predicted higher up in Italy alright
snow report
Passo Falzarego today.....

The Giro d'Italia passes through in 2 weeks. Shocked Thought, are there winter tyres for racing cycles? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, yup, Schwalbe even make ice spike tyres Smile
not so sure about winter tyres for the support and camera motorbikes though

Won't be the first time that stages are cancelled or shortened in the Giro due to snow.
snow conditions
https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c15328/

Still very good cover
snow conditions
Does anyone know how long it takes to ski from Selva to Cortina? Plan would include short bus from San Cassiano to Falzarego, and use new lift from Cinque torri back down to Cortina. Can you do it skiing fairly fast in a day?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@laraichean, a very rough estimate as follows:
½ hour from Selva using the gondola up to the top of Dantecerpies
¾ hour from the top of Dantecerpies to the bottom of the Col Alto gondola in Corvara
1 hour from the bottom of Col Alto gondola to Armentarola
½ hour from Armentarola by bus/taxi to Passo Falzarego
½ hour from Passo Falzarego to Cinque Torri (note this involves quite a few flattish sections, so when you see them try to carry as much speed as possible)
¼ hour Cinque Torri to start of Cortina ski area using new gondola link (I actually timed it at 13 minutes. Toofy Grin )

So with no stops I'd say about 3½ hours. So you've plenty time for some stops and a bit of additional skiing, e.g when you get to Passo Falzarego if the queues for the cable car are not too big you could go up to the top of the Lagazuoi (great views from there) then take the red run on the right hand side from the top (piste No.2) back down almost to the bottom then take the piste off to the left towards Cinque Torri. However I seem to recall you were asking in another thread about staying in different mountain rifugios, so if you're intending staying in Rifugio Lagazuoi another day during your trip then you can give that run a miss when you're heading for Cortina and do it when you're at the Rifugio Lagazuoi. snowHead
snow conditions
Great info, cheers! Think we’ll try and stay around Seceda then.
snow report
@laraichean, Probably the best idea.
If you were doing that route as part of a tour of mountain rifugios it would be a great trip. For a day return, probably pointless, as the return trip is also considerably longer -circuit of Cinque Torri and hidden valley or taxi back to Armentarola.

It's not a route that is worth considering from Arabba,(40-60 minutes to Armentarola). Selva is a minimum 30 minutes longer each way.

There are plenty of other areas off the Sella Ronda, or accessible from Selva to keep you occupied for a week or more.
Lagazuoi, Cinque Tori, hidden valley would be a comfortable day trip.
Even kronplatz would be an option. (2.5 hours to Piccolino). Early start, and you would easily have 3 hours skiing there. Just aim for the 3pm return bus. That will give you just over an hour to get home from La Villa. I usually suggest groups meet up at the bell tower for 2pm, especially if not all fast skiers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy