Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti Superski 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
@sheffskibod,
I think most of the snow is made in November and December. By New Year everything is normally open and all snow making is usually finished by mid January except perhaps for the snow parks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

For MTBing, Val di Sole is world class

Certainly a top destination for the gravity MTB. Hence why it's been a neat permanent fixture on the DH WorldCup/World Championships calendar for years.

Sella Ronda has been an Enduro EWS destination the last few years too (Campitello/Canazei). Also plenty of normal trails for the mere mortals (Plan de Gralba, Canazei-Arabba, Badia, etc.). Plus Kronplatz a few km away has one seemingly endless trail.
Top Via Ferrata destination too.

I'd be looking to stay in Badia or Selva personally, during the summer. (but I'm doing Les Gets/Morzine this year, so it will have to be next year for the Dolomites MTB/Hiking trip)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Igor has just recently posted his latest video (and probably the last one of the season). Enjoy!
http://youtube.com/v/zfJs4w66Fkg
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alastair Pink, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Gosh those lads can't half ski well!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Love that channel... it's a great Italian lesson too Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle wrote:

They certainly can! Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Alastair Pink,
Great video Alastair. He’s a one man promotional band for the Alta Badia. His sons are simply superb skiers Cool
Conditions look great for the end of March. Not a stone or blade of grass in sight on the runs.
Sadly just 3 days left to go in the Alta Badia. Two more weeks at Kronplatz.

Question. Is Igor speaking Italian or Ladin?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Peter S, I think he's speaking Italian in the videos (although an Italian speaker can confirm). However I know that the native language spoken by him and his family is Ladin. The daily information sheets that are on guests' tables at Breakfast talk a lot about Ladin customs and culture, and include a few common Ladin words. His Dad is usually in the hotel bar in the evening sat at a table with other locals playing cards and chatting away in Ladin. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

They certainly can! Very Happy

Did you notice the 540 jump one of them (think it was the youngest) did on the play park at 1.30? Shocked Shocked

And as for spotting a 50 Euro note on the ground below a charilift..........
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Peter S, definitely Italian in the videos. The closed captions give a very good translation on the whole snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@brianatab,
Quote:

Did you notice the 540 jump one of them (think it was the youngest) did on the play park at 1.30?

Yes. And the terrain on which he straight-lines backwards is something else too. Shocked Mind you, he appears to prefer skiing backwards these days.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
When you hear people saying that slopes or snow is bad, it just means that these people have overestimated themselves and are not able to ski down on certain slopes in certain snow conditions. Slopes are never bad, it's all about the athletic condition of the skier.

Priceless. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think the youngest, having been in the shadow of his brother is starting to emerge, and may well prove to be the better skier in the next couple of years.
They'll probably compete against and push each other to a very high level. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in junior competitions soon. No doubt Igor will post a video or two. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's already a video showing the elder brother competing in junior biathlon (not sure how that works ... water pistols?? wink )

ETA: it's this one, at 17:45...
http://youtube.com/v/ZcqUcuSJLKE
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair posted that link a few weeks ago. It was the same week as the Birthday bash. I think that was an inter school championship. There were certainly a number that he knew. Probably classmates.

The level of effort those kids put in was amazing.
snow report
Looks like a nice top up for the Dolomites later next week, when most of the resorts will have closed...
ski holidays
https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c973/
Another 20cms today at Kronplatz. I suspect this is going to be one of their most successful seasons on record in terms of skier numbers and skier days. Should put them in a good place for next year. Wonder if they are already refilling their snow making reservoirs for next year snowHead
Still 10 more days of the season to go.
latest report
How come they stay open later there Peter?
snow report
@8611, later than what?
snow report
The rest of the Dolomites. Most of the area seems to be closed now. I looked at the Kronplatz ski map and couldn't see why it was open later, not particularly high or North facing (from piste map anyway).
snow conditions
@8611, ah I see
snow report
I have a strong need to go and stay in Kronplatz coming over me. Two week trip, one in Alleghe, one in Kronplatz. Nice.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, very nice indeed
snow report
@8611, The webcams are still showing plenty of snow, even as low as San Vigilio
https://www.kronplatz.com/en/planning-booking/webcams

Still got 80cm on the top, 20cm fresh yesterday, and expecting another humid air mass from the north next week, so conditions are likely to be fairly good for a while yet.

The Dolomitie area passes are probably no longer available, but you should still be able to get local passes.

The main black runs are north facing and tree lined, so may well be protected from thaw well into the spring. At least one of the gondolas will be running throughout the year, so it would make sense to keep those runs open as late as possible.

The Gondola from Percha, which links with the railway will also be open all year, so the long red down to there might also stay open longer.

The south facing runs would be more difficult to maintain, as would the run down to picculin. That's often only a white stripe through green fields in February.

@Hurtle, We always have a day trip over from Arabba, so will keep an eye open for you.
After a few days there, you should be able to recommend the best rifugios. wink
(the "group" decision is usually near the bottom of the 2 gondolas as it's easiest to pick up stragglers there, but I would prefer on the mountain.)
latest report
@Hurtle, Alleghe was on my shortlist of couple of days skiing, couple of days by a lake holiday as a lake destination. Could one lightly occupy one's self with walking or other non skiing activities there in late March?
snow conditions
@8611,
It’s one of the most reliable places to ski in the alps. They make all their snow in November and December and their location sheltered from westerly airstreams and only modest elevation mean they open reliably every day, largely free from avalanche risk, strong winds or poor visibility. Smooth grassy slopes and the cool dry air of the south eastern alps are perfect for making and holding snow. It’s consistency may be why it hosts a ski test there in early December each year.

The ski run down to Reid at 935m is still open.
https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c6698/
snow conditions
Another video from Igor (maybe last of season?!) where the family go to Val di Fassa and back.

Conditions in Arabba look superb for April !!

http://youtube.com/v/vnd7Rkq6QZo
latest report
@Peter S, interesting as ever, thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
8611 wrote:
@Hurtle, Alleghe was on my shortlist of couple of days skiing, couple of days by a lake holiday as a lake destination. Could one lightly occupy one's self with walking or other non skiing activities there in late March?
I haven't really researched non-skiing activities in Alleghe, but you could certainly have a lovely walk round the lake. And there is a particularly nice wine bar just up the road from the modest but delightful Sport Hotel.
ski holidays
@albob, 107km. Not bad for what might be the last of the season. Those kids sure don't mess about.

I love it when he take routes that I recognise.
latest report
@brianatab, "..I love it when he take routes that I recognise..."

Me too, filing them away for future use .. snowHead
ski holidays
I rewatched the Valle Mezdi lockdown powder tour / ski last night after a few glasses of wine. Just superb. I don't know why but he popped up on my youtube TV app during the first lockdown and watching someone skiing this wonderful deserted scenery babbling Italian I didn't understand while we were all stuck in our houses was .good for the soul.
snow report
@8611, Subtitles system on YouTube works quite well......
snow report
snowHead snowHead little rockets!
latest report
@albob, I know but initially I liked the total immersion escapism!
snow report
@8611, snowHead
latest report
@albob,
Thanks for posting that. Entertaining and educational as always. Some good tips on there. Great conditions for April. I’ve only skied the Ciampac area once but distinctly remember that the black is unrelenting. Also the Volcano run is just fabulous…..at least when it’s complete. Good stuff. Cool
ski holidays
@Peter S, I loved the bit at 07.28 where they are traversing in Arabba and he looks back at the skiers swooping down a slope and you can hear their whoops of joy

So wanted to be there.....
snow report
Yeah I think I remember that black or at least when I did the sella Ronda the visible blacks were so enticing I got the lift back up and doglegged off to do a few
ski holidays
A lesson in pronunciation from Igor snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/fVnuhlYRnnA
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy